• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Poll: The Vega Review Thread.

What do we think about Vega?

• What has AMD been doing for the past 1-2 years?

• It consumes how many watts and is how loud!!!

• It is not that bad.

• Want to buy but put off by pricing and warranty.

• I will be buying one for sure (I own a Freesync monitor so have little choice).

• Better red than dead.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Soldato
Take it with a pinch of salt and wait for third party cards. The VEGA cards respond extremely well to undervolting and overclocking. I have no idea why AMD shipped them overvolted and with a weak cooler.
They are not over volted that is the required voltage to cover all scenarios and workloads. It's not like AMD don't know what they are doing and suddenly a load of amateur 'experts' have 'unlocked' it. Just because in certain scenarios one sample of a card may respond to under volting (at that moment in time) does not mean for one moment that everyone should do it.

Associate
way im looking at it is this, decent overclocked 1070 beats out Vega 56 and it's likely cheaper, cooler and uses less power. I want Vega but I'm really struggling to convince myself it's worth it over a 1070.
index.php
index.php

Associate
They are not over volted that is the required voltage to cover all scenarios and workloads. It's not like AMD don't know what they are doing and suddenly a load of amateur 'experts' have 'unlocked' it. Just because in certain scenarios one sample of a card may respond to under volting (at that moment in time) does not mean for one moment that everyone should do it.

Yep, people shouldn't assume that every Vega will undervolt like a champ, as he said they know what they are doing, the initial yields probably require that much voltage as an average, plus a bit of headroom (hence why almost every chip (not necessarily GPUs that has a clock and is unlocked can be overclocked). I wouldn't be surprised if over the 56 and 64s lifetime the voltage will be revised a bit.

Associate
way im looking at it is this, decent overclocked 1070 beats out Vega 56 and it's likely cheaper, cooler and uses less power. I want Vega but I'm really struggling to convince myself it's worth it over a 1070.​
Undervolted Vega56 uses less power than 1080FE and is faster, sometimes with big margin so if you cant get 1070 with really good price, there is not relly point going 1070 way. Ofcourse maybe not every Vega chip is not going to undevolt as much. If you dont want to play with voltages and such then 1070OC would be obvious choise. https://www.hardwareluxx.de/index.p...vega-56-und-vega-64-im-undervolting-test.html

Soldato
I looked up this AMD Finewine - I thought it was a legitimate thing, like a driver team at AMD who specializes in getting the best out of the hardware. Loads of forums mention it but never seem to provide proof of their work. Nope. It's literally a meme that a lot of AMD supporters take seriously. I'm truly baffled :confused:

Associate
I looked up this AMD Finewine - I thought it was a legitimate thing, like a driver team at AMD who specializes in getting the best out of the hardware. Loads of forums mention it but never seem to provide proof of their work. Nope. It's literally a meme that a lot of AMD supporters take seriously. I'm truly baffled :confused:

Yep a meme, but that AMD endorsed on their Siggraph slides ... lol

Caporegime

This.

You can also undervolt & overclock pascal and draw less power and get more performance, but that isn't the design parameters for the chips.

Man of Honour

Tell that to the people who discovered the early power and performance problems with Polaris :p I agree though its likely the voltage is set that way to cover the spectrum of expected ASIC quality and usage scenarios and its quite likely you will find a range of cards from those that won't undervolt by any significant amount without instability through to those that can get quite a big voltage drop - GF 14nm product still seems to produce quite a big variance in quality which is possibly partly why the stock voltage is relatively high.

Caporegime

Who needs an extra 10-15% now, when you can have it in 6-9 months :D

Associate
Taken from oc site...how come the 56 has that many shaders ?

Radeon RX VEGA 56
The AMD Radeon RX Vega 56 series of graphics cards are based on AMD’s “Vega” GPU architecture and offer 56 Next-Gen Compute Units (NCUs) and a total of 4.096 shaders. The RX Vega 56 also comes equipped with 8 GB of High Bandwidth 2nd generation Memory (HBM2) with a 2048-bit memory bus interface. AMD Radeon RX Vega 56 graphics cards are designed from the ground up for gaming in Virtual Reality (VR) and at 4K/UHD resolutions.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/pc-components/graphics-cards/amd/radeon-rx-vega-56

Man of Honour
OP
Taken from oc site...how come the 56 has that many shaders ?

Radeon RX VEGA 56
The AMD Radeon RX Vega 56 series of graphics cards are based on AMD’s “Vega” GPU architecture and offer 56 Next-Gen Compute Units (NCUs) and a total of 4.096 shaders. The RX Vega 56 also comes equipped with 8 GB of High Bandwidth 2nd generation Memory (HBM2) with a 2048-bit memory bus interface. AMD Radeon RX Vega 56 graphics cards are designed from the ground up for gaming in Virtual Reality (VR) and at 4K/UHD resolutions.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/pc-components/graphics-cards/amd/radeon-rx-vega-56

Just a typo

The Vega 56 has 3584 shaders.:)

Back
Top Bottom