It's On! Floyd Mayweather - Conor McGregor **No discussions of illegal streams**

Soldato
He won't beat any top boxers, he is a great MMA fighter and I hope he defends his belt.

People know for sure now cardio is a real issue, not that they didn't before, but this has really solidified it. It's why I wish we had seen him vs Frankie at 145.

Soldato
Youtuber called "the true geordie" has a decent video up about the fight, sums it up well imo.

"MAYWEATHER STOPS McGREGOR | True Geordie Reacts"
Have to say as a complete neutral (both mayweather and McGregor are a pair of mouths) he's spot on with his review.
Mayweather couldn't have stopped him anytime he wanted as some seem to be insisting on - mayweather is a zero risk fighter, you don't allow an opponent to remain standing just for 'lols'. Even at the end when McGregor was flat out of juice he was still able to keep his head movement pretty decent but that's an aside to the real truth. At the end of the day McGregor posed no threat to mayweather and mayweather posed no threat to McGregor (in terms of getting hurt) both sides knew this - maybe not the fighters but certainly their respective camps knew neither was at serious risk. So ultimately it was simply a tidy pay day for all involved.

Soldato
watching the fight back again for a second time it looks staged in some parts. And the fact Mayweather supposedly told his team and other people he knew to bet on a round 10 stoppage just makes it more suspicious.
Yes Mcgregor done better than we all expected and even looked slightly dangerous in the first few rounds but from round 4 onwards i felt Mayweather could have just taken him out anytime and forced a stoppage but he let it go on for more buys which makes him more money the longer it goes on and to make it more fun for the crowd. If i was Mayweather though i would have tried to stop him ASAP just to prove a point because now you still have Mcgregor fan boys bragging that he lasted 10 rounds with the best pound for pound boxer of this generation.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Fight wasn't "official" until it went past the 4th, so the only real certainty is neither fighter wanted it to end quickly.

I said early in the thread that Conor would gas and get KO'd as he's never had amazing cardio so really Floyd played the safest game he could: wait for Conor to tire and pick up an easy stoppage. Trying to end it early may have resulted in him getting caught.

Soldato
Floyd let the fight go 10 rounds.

No he didn't. To be blunt, if you genuinely believe he did you know nothing about combat sports.

Fight wasn't "official" until it went past the 4th, so the only real certainty is neither fighter wanted it to end quickly.

I said early in the thread that Conor would gas and get KO'd as he's never had amazing cardio so really Floyd played the safest game he could: wait for Conor to tire and pick up an easy stoppage. Trying to end it early may have resulted in him getting caught.

Exactly.

For all McGregors failings in regards to boxing no one in their right mind (especially a low risk fighter like mayweather) is going to chase a stoppage nor are they going to let a fight go longer than it needs to. Even the most spent fighter still poses a threat, no matter how small.

Soldato
Whole video is worth watching, but interesting comments from 3:30 to 4:53 regarding both fighters. McGregor had 'pitty pat' punches. He should take his behind back to the UFC, this is not for him. Against someone like Canelo or Triple G, he would be put to sleep early. And Mayweather was missing too much and would have been seriously hurt if he'd fought a young and proper boxer.

Associate
And Mayweather was missing too much and would have been seriously hurt if he'd fought a young and proper boxer.
Irrelevant, he wasn't fighting a proper boxer and he would never have taken a fight with a decent boxer at 40yrs old, which is why he agreed to fight McGregor, very good money and an easy fight with no danger of getting hurt.

The fight went almost exactly as i and a lot of others envisaged, McGregor tried it on in the early rounds although wasn't as aggressive as I thought he would be, Floyd soaked it up, worked him out and after round 7 the fight was over.
As expected and as he does in all his fights that go over 15-20mins fight time McGregor was completely spent, his cardio vascular conditioning is absolutely shocking for a so called world class fighter, almost as bad as his "boxing" technique.

Soldato
Irrelevant, he wasn't fighting a proper boxer and he would never have taken a fight with a decent boxer at 40yrs old

Yes, the pundit was just saying he's glad Mayweather is retiring and hopes he stays retired with his legacy intact, because he's no longer up to the job of fighting proper boxers.

Simple fact is that Mcgregor is not a professional boxer, this fight should not count as a 50th professional win.

The pundit said that too. That he doesn't count it as a proper 50-0 because he won it against a fighter and not a pro boxer.

Soldato
As expected and as he does in all his fights that go over 15-20mins fight time McGregor was completely spent, his cardio vascular conditioning is absolutely shocking for a so called world class fighter, almost as bad as his "boxing" technique.

I have to agree - I've watched a lot of fights, but I've never seen anyone so tired after 4 rounds - even big heavyweights like Chisora are still moving around more after round 4 lol..

Soldato
I have a theory about his gassing so early. Clearly he doesn't have the stamina of boxers, but it might be that he had so much adrenaline pumping through his veins, it drained him. Which would be fair enough for various reasons. It was such a big event. He had to prove himself. He's never had a pro boxing match before. He was facing one of the best of all time. Huge adrenaline rushes can leave you fatigued. He might have calmed down by the 4th round, no more adrenaline rush, and started to feel drained.

Soldato
Was probably just inexperience.

It was a lot of things. The biggest problem was McGregor couldn't or didn't want to dig deep when it was getting put on him. If he had enough energy to run away he had enough to throw back. Without that grit you will never make it as a boxer.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

I have a theory about his gassing so early. Clearly he doesn't have the stamina of boxers, but it might be that he had so much adrenaline pumping through his veins, it drained him. Which would be fair enough for various reasons. It was such a big event. He had to prove himself. He's never had a pro boxing match before. He was facing one of the best of all time. Huge adrenaline rushes can leave you fatigued. He might have calmed down by the 4th round, no more adrenaline rush, and started to feel drained.
Do you watch the UFC? McGregor has always gassed out, which is why most of his wins are round 1 KOs... because he fades.

In the second fight with Nate Diaz he was the same. Absolutely knackered on his feet because he can't go for more than 15 minutes which leaves him with no power and no realistic chance of finishing an opponent (he's not good on the ground).

I'd say the adrenaline compounded that but it wasn't the root cause.

Associate
Nothing to do with adrenaline, the fact is that he is conditioned for short fights, i guarantee you that the 25 or so minutes he was in the ring with Mayweather is the longest he has ever fought for, he had absolutely nothing left and was consistently getting hit without attempting to fight back, therefore the referee rightly stopped the contest.
As i said earlier his cardio-vascular conditioning is shocking, Floyd is 11 years his senior and could have gone on for another 10 rounds !!

Soldato
absolutely nothing left and was consistently getting hit without attempting to fight back, therefore the referee rightly stopped the contest.

He took 3 reasonable hits unanswered. The rest missed or grazed. He probably wasn't surviving the round and it was a good call for his health but for the competitor in him I'm sure it felt early.

Back
Top Bottom