£5K (give or take) something quicker than a Focus but just as reliable

Soldato
Do you need rear seats? If not why are convertibles out? Boot space concerns? You may wish to check out a pre-facelift E85 Z4 3.0. They're pretty reliable, will do 30 mpg, have a great engine (at 231bhp they meet your fast requirements) and there's plenty of choice around £5k. The boot is surprisingly big (two sets of golf clubs fit). The only thing it won't meet is your 2007 criteria, but they're not much older and have aged pretty well.

Underboss
OP
Do you need rear seats? If not why are convertibles out? Boot space concerns? You may wish to check out a pre-facelift E85 Z4 3.0. They're pretty reliable, will do 30 mpg, have a great engine (at 231bhp they meet your fast requirements) and there's plenty of choice around £5k. The boot is surprisingly big (two sets of golf clubs fit). The only thing it won't meet is your 2007 criteria, but they're not much older and have aged pretty well.

i love Z4's
if its in budget id certainly consider one!

Soldato
I think you may have to compromise on a couple of your criteria If you want a car that's proper hot hatch level, else drop down to a "regular" sort of quick car, though I'm sure there are plenty quicker than your focus still

Edit, maybe a Saab 9-3 If that's not too big? Seriously quick with just an off the shelf remap

Caporegime
And also very below 30MPG, my 5 year average in my ST225 was around 24MPG

have done 15k miles now in my Volvo T5, average just north of 30mpg. Tax is just over £300 a year. Car has been flawless really, can't complain, nothing has broken but of course I bought it at 16k miles and 5 years old at the time, but a 5k example which will most likely have much higher mileage but for me, no complaints at all on the reliability side of things.

I guess it is a Focus underneath the platform is shared also with the Mazda 3 as well, it is however not exactly the same car. I really love mine, it is quiet, it is smooth (I have the auto), it is fast enough, I get nice comments from random strangers (when it is clean).

Just remember the boot is laughing small, barely enough for a weekly shop for a family, you can't even fit a suitcase in there if you have the hardtop cover on, which is the best cover to get because the "curtain" cover is ugly as sin.

A facelift version would be a bit over budget but the original one could be had for £5k.

Mine has

Heated rear windows (no heated mirrors)
Heated front seats
Electric memory seats
Rear parking sensors
Dual Zones Climate control
Follow me home headlights
Auto dimming mirror
Cruise control
Auto folding mirrors
R-Design pack

r71MfOv.jpg

Last edited:
Caporegime
Same engine too?

There are different versions of the T5, its a yes and no answer.

B5254T3

It has VVT and is turbocharged and intercooled. Unlike previous designs, the turbocharger is integral with the exhaust manifold. It uses the Bosch ME 9.0 engine management system. [1]

Using the M66W (FWD) or M66C (AWD) manual transmission output is 220 hp (162 kW) at 5000 rpm with 236 ft·lbf (320 N m) of torque at 1500-4800 rpm. [2] With the AW55-51 automatic transmission, torque is limited in first and second gear. [3]

Applications:

B5254T7

The B5254T7 is a slight adaptation of the B5254T3. It has VVT and is turbocharged and intercooled. The turbocharger is still integrated into the exhaust manifold, but is of a different design.

Using the M66W (FWD) or M66C (AWD) manual transmission output is 227 hp (169 kW) at 5000 rpm with 236 ft·lbf (320 N m) of torque at 1500-5000 rpm. With the AW55-51 automatic transmission, torque is limited in first and second gear.

Applications:

Source - http://en.wikipedia...._engine#B5254T3

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom