• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The RX Vega 64 Owners Thread

Associate
So, got my powercolor 64 today, dropped it in, connected up but get no output, dp or hdmi.
Tried different 8 pin cables from psu, still no luck. PC boots with red gputach light on.

ryzen 1600
tomahawk m/board
1 ssd connected
Corsair hx850, about 5 years old

Could it be the psu?

edit:tried different slot too

Last edited:
Associate
So, got my powercolor 64 today, dropped it in, connected up but get no output, dp or hdmi.
Tried different 8 pin cables from psu, still no luck. PC boots with red gputach light on.

ryzen 1600
tomahawk m/board
1 ssd connected

Could it be the psu?

Mine's on Corsair AX850 and is fine.

Originally mine was showing bios post and Windows loading splash ok but was black screen at Windows logon.
Think it was down to me having plugged in x3 DP and x1 HDMI devices prior to boot up.

Once I'd disconnected everything apart from my primary monitor it was fine and so could log in to Windows, install the driver and then connect and set up the other devices.

Soldato
I can see why they've done it, but I don't like the blank area.
VEGA 64 Ref ordered £470 :D
Nice, I didn't expect them to be under £500 again so soon!
Don't get that ^^ block though!
Now get that Ryzen and get started!
Why are people interested in the 8-core Threadripper? I don't get it. Surely it'll be more expensive than the 1800X, need a more expensive motherboard and quad channel memory? Just a lot of added cost for what? I've been considering the 12 core, but that seems so much more expensive than the 8-core Ryzen that it seems hard to justify the extra cost. Threadripper doesn't seem like it's good value-for-money/bang-for-buck.

I'd worry about your hearing with you using the reference AMD cooler until you get watercooling, but if you've had a 290 you probably don't have any hearing left to worry about! :D

Soldato
I can see why they've done it, but I don't like the blank area.

Nice, I didn't expect them to be under £500 again so soon!
Don't get that ^^ block though!
Now get that Ryzen and get started!
Why are people interested in the 8-core Threadripper? I don't get it. Surely it'll be more expensive than the 1800X, need a more expensive motherboard and quad channel memory? Just a lot of added cost for what? I've been considering the 12 core, but that seems so much more expensive than the 8-core Ryzen that it seems hard to justify the extra cost. Threadripper doesn't seem like it's good value-for-money/bang-for-buck.

I'd worry about your hearing with you using the reference AMD cooler until you get watercooling, but if you've had a 290 you probably don't have any hearing left to worry about! :D

Msi gaming edition 290 was actually OK on noise. I did a custom AIO for the 290 using Corsair HG10 and I had that really quite.

The 8 core Thread Ripper is only ment to be £50 quid more Motherboard and DDR4 can be expensive though.
I do agree Ryzen 7 looking more than likely what I will go with. Wait for benchmarks I think 8 core releases tomorrow.

I'll be just buying what @TonyTurbo78 is using :D but instead a 280 radiator or 240 rad

Associate

ryzen 1600
tomahawk m/board
1 ssd connected

Could it be the psu?

I spent about 3 hours getting my V64 LC to work when I first got it. I couldn't get past the Windows 10 spinner; it would hang just before the transition to the login screen. I ended up resetting my CMOS - you may have a mobo button for that but I removed the battery.
I'd run DDU first and only have one monitor plugged into the card when you reboot.
I tried my second PCI slot because my mobo specs stated it was x16 but in BIOS it detected x8.
I'm on a Corsair CX750 PSU from 2013 so yours should be fine.

Caporegime

ryzen 1600
tomahawk m/board
1 ssd connected

Could it be the psu?

but they still come! do do do.............. :(

Soldato
Msi gaming edition 290 was actually OK on noise. I did a custom AIO for the 290 using Corsair HG10 and I had that really quite.

The 8 core Thread Ripper is only ment to be £50 quid more Motherboard and DDR4 can be expensive though.
I do agree Ryzen 7 looking more than likely what I will go with. Wait for benchmarks I think 8 core releases tomorrow.

I'll be just buying what @TonyTurbo78 is using :D but instead a 280 radiator or 240 rad
Yeah, I didn't think you had a reference 290. Partly because you've just bought an AMD reference cooler, which you wouldn't have done if you'd used one before!
I kid, sort of, I had reference 290s and 290Xs and they can definitely get loud but, well actually I've got nothing, they were loud.

I was going to say I hope you enjoy the Vega 64, but I sorta hope you get annoyed by the cooler so you watercool sooner! :p

Soldato
slower again, with the GPU-Z beta you can see that HBM overclock does need a fair amount of power so you could be hitting the power limit with the power hungry core clock?
That's a fair shout - I'll have a go at reducing the clock a bit later...

Edit: Tried Timespy with the core clock at 1667 and 1702 for states 6&7, crashed at 1090 but ran ok at 1085 with a bit of extra voltage (1250) - no improvement on the score though, still around 7850 graphics score which was the same as earlier. No benefit on my card of going past 1050 on the memory it would seem.

Last edited:
Soldato
The things are dropping like flies, something has to be wrong with them :(

Wouldn't go that far lol
Yeah, I didn't think you had a reference 290. Partly because you've just bought an AMD reference cooler, which you wouldn't have done if you'd used one before!
I kid, sort of, I had reference 290s and 290Xs and they can definitely get loud but, well actually I've got nothing, they were loud.

I was going to say I hope you enjoy the Vega 64, but I sorta hope you get annoyed by the cooler so you watercool sooner! :p

I have used references in the past so I fully understand what I getting into haaa
Once back from my honeymoon I'll do a rebuild, I game with headphones so it's not all Doom and gloom :D

Associate
That's a fair shout - I'll have a go at reducing the clock a bit later...

Edit: Tried Timespy with the core clock at 1667 and 1702 for states 6&7, crashed at 1090 but ran ok at 1085 with a bit of extra voltage (1250) - no improvement on the score though, still around 7850 graphics score which was the same as earlier. No benefit on my card of going past 1050 on the memory it would seem.

more core voltage? that would just hit the power limit sooner; the HBM voltage is stuck at 1.35 atm.

Back
Top Bottom