Spec me an autobahn!

Soldato
Hi motors

I have a couple of days off next week and am planning a mini road trip from home to Germany and back, just a one night stay, the main reason is to experience cruising at high speed without having to keep an eagle eye out for the police and feel guilty about it (not that I do speed anyway).

So the plan is to set off early, catch a ferry from Dover to Dunkirk, then drive over to Germany and spend an hour or two cruising, then kip in a cheap hotel and drive back home the following day.

I'm easy on the destination but want a nice bit of road with minimum traffic and restrictions, I could possibly stretch to a 2 nighter and spend a day there, but preferably just a one night stay.

This is all about the driving, not sightseeing or anything. Can any Motors people experienced in driving in Germany offer any advice on where to go?

Caporegime
Driving quickly in a straight line gets boring quickly, especially when eastern European trucks pull out on you with little warning on the mostly 2 lane unrestricted sections.

I'd probably aim to drive somewhere with some interesting twisties and scenery, and use the Autobahns as a means to get there. The Autobahns themselves are not a worthy reason to drive to Germany and back IMO.

Soldato
OP
Driving quickly in a straight line gets boring quickly, especially when eastern European trucks pull out on you with little warning on the mostly 2 lane unrestricted sections.

I'd probably aim to drive somewhere with some interesting twisties and scenery, and use the Autobahns as a means to get there. The Autobahns themselves are not a worthy reason to drive to Germany and back IMO.

Point taken, my MX-5 isn't that quick in a straight line anyway, but I only have 2 days and want to open up the throttle without getting paranoid.

Where would you go?

Associate
Having just taken a road trip to Switzerland, the Autobahns were pretty boring. Nice to say I've been on them, but certainly wouldn't drive just to go on them.

Switzerland however, I'd definitely go back there. Just not in the winter months. Extend your stay, go the whole hog, why not.

Obviously just my opinion really.

Soldato
Anything on at Spa or other easily accessible circuits around the same time? We have much more fun driving through quiet, open European roads than motorway in all honesty. You'll get plenty of chance to put the foot down.

Man of Honour
This is totally not worth a trip on its own.

Go somewhere good that happens to require an autobahn to get there and enjoy a nice weekend away.

Soldato
From Dunkirk head towards the Ardennes. Get to Revin and follow the road through Montherme/Les Hautes-Rivières/Vresse-sur-Semois/Mogimont and then join up with the E411/E25 and follow through Luxembourg to Trier, that's about 7 hours of driving. Spend the night here, it's a beautiful city.

The next day you can jump on the A1 North to get your Autobahn fix, then onto the A60/E42 and go to Spa Francorhamps, then go cross country to Liege and then on the E40 back to Dunkirk, about 5.5 hours of driving.

You have two days, 1 night, get your Autobahn fix, drive some fantastic roads, and get to see one of the worlds most famous circuits

Caporegime
Isn't there a new stretch of unrestricted Autobahn that just kind of starts in the middle of nowhere and people used to turn and go back the way for a hundred yards or so to the very start and wait for a five minute gap of no one joining and gun it from there?

Soldato
Unless you are in something seriously quick I would not bother. Only really at night can you get 140mph+ without fear of people pulling out as it's too busy. I live here and really miss the b roads of Wales.

Soldato
M69 at night.

Agree with the above if I'm honest. Travelling at the top speed of your car for a prolonged time isn't really enjoyable unless there's one next to you trying to go faster :p

If you had a destination then sure, but I wouldn't go especially for it.

Soldato
OP
From Dunkirk head towards the Ardennes. Get to Revin and follow the road through Montherme/Les Hautes-Rivières/Vresse-sur-Semois/Mogimont and then join up with the E411/E25 and follow through Luxembourg to Trier, that's about 7 hours of driving. Spend the night here, it's a beautiful city.

The next day you can jump on the A1 North to get your Autobahn fix, then onto the A60/E42 and go to Spa Francorhamps, then go cross country to Liege and then on the E40 back to Dunkirk, about 5.5 hours of driving.

You have two days, 1 night, get your Autobahn fix, drive some fantastic roads, and get to see one of the worlds most famous circuits

Excellent, thank you very much gobbo I'll research this route, sounds like just the ticket.

I bet all those that say don't bother have been on the Autobahn themselves.

Man of Honour
I bet all those that say don't bother have been on the Autobahn themselves.

Well obviously or how would we know whether it's worth it?

Germany is well worth visiting for it's variety of nice cities and good scenic areas but going all the way there and back just to try and vmax a not particularly powerful car is going to be a huge let down - I've had trips where it's not been possible to go that fast at all even in much more powerful cars.

Soldato
Not worth it for the Autobahns alone imo, they're fun for like 30 minutes but in the day time it is a bit of taking your life into your own hands as the trucks can just pull straight out on you and there can be some quite bumpy sections on some of the roads which would be very scary at big speeds.

Soldato
OP
Not worth it for the Autobahns alone imo, they're fun for like 30 minutes but in the day time it is a bit of taking your life into your own hands as the trucks can just pull straight out on you and there can be some quite bumpy sections on some of the roads which would be very scary at big speeds.

Point taken about the trucks, this has been mentioned numerous times.

Are the Autobahns significantly less populated with lorries at night? Just thinking about trucks doing nightshifts when there are less cars on the road.

Also are there any nice smooth sections you could recommend?

Soldato
Just go on a track day somewhere with a long straight, it'll be cheaper and more worthwhile. Just trying to vmax on a derestricted bit of road sounds like the worst way to spend a good few hundred £ I've seen on here for quite some time...and I've read Acme's threads.

Man of Honour
Just go on a track day somewhere with a long straight, it'll be cheaper and more worthwhile. Just trying to vmax on a derestricted bit of road sounds like the worst way to spend a good few hundred £ I've seen on here for quite some time...and I've read Acme's threads.

This will be loads more fun. A Mazda MX-5 is the worst autobahn car ever, it's slow and will take an age to lug itself to it's not particularly high maximum speed, which will further reduce the opportunity you have to make it. By contrast on a track it will be absolutely fantastic fun as it's a brilliantly handling sports car.

Back
Top Bottom