Replacement DAC for my failed Fiio E10K

Associate
So my Fiio E10K seems to be playing up so maybetime for a replacement. I am using a Fiio X3 as a DAC for now.

My setup (audio wise);
PC (via USB) --> E10K --> Emotiva A100 Amp --> Focal XS Bookshelf speakers (internal amp removed and rewired... Dont ask :)).

I also connect the DAC to my Sony MDR-1000X headphones (via cable).

I am looking at a few possibilities and would appreciate suggestions or advice based on these or other options around the same price range.
Cambridge Audio Azur DacMagic Plus
Optoma NuForce uDAC5

Around US$300 is probably the high end of what I am looking to spend.

Usage: Games, FLAC music, movies (all stereo only).

Thanks

Associate
OP
Thanks for the replies.

Unfortunately I am sorta limited on where I can but from and whilst Schiit looks interesting, it would be problematic and more expensive to purchase on of their items.

What I purched in the end is the Emotiva Big Ego DAC. By all accounts it handles up to 32bit / 328k (pretty rare currently I know) and was around $220. It should arrive on Friday this week. I will provide some feedback for any others with an interest.

Only downside is that it has no volume knob for the headphone out. It is all controlled via the Emotiva control app on the PC.

Soldato
Emotiva make some very decent equipment, it's a shame they aren't as readily available in the UK, they would get recommended here a lot more often if they were.

The digital volume control won't be a problem, specially if you keep the bit rate at 24 bit or 32 bit. Depending on how they are controlling the volume, 16 bit can become lossy, so it's best to keep the bit rate high just in case.

Associate
OP
So just to close this off, the Big Ego is filling the role quite nicely.

It generally runs at 192k and I have not noticed any issues. I have changed to using FooBar2000 as my music player as well.

Happy with the results and hopefully this may help others in future.

Thanks all.

Back
Top Bottom