Sit-stand desks... anyone own one?

Soldato
OP
It is a somewhat of a luxury item but as I'm spending more time working from home, I'm giving myself backache working on the sofa. I'm thinking, the chair is most important then for absolute precision adjustment (minus pitch, yaw, and roll :D), this is it :p

Caporegime
The biggest difference between the Herman Miller and the Ikea is that the HM remembers the height settings - you can store a sit and a stand preset and recall them, rather than having to get the height right each time.

Associate
The solution to this conundrum is straight forward; get a real job, one that doesn't entail loafing around on your ass all day.

Soldato
I'be got the IKEA electric sit/stand corner desk.

Considering how much cheaper it is compared to the Herman Miller, it is good value. However, it's not perfect. When standing it's not completely stable and I've had to send the control box back for replacement twice and the legs once…

Other than that, it's been great.

Bit of a thread bump but my desk has stopped working again. :mad:

It's going back to IKEA for a refund — buy cheap, buy twice and all that.

There's clearly a fault with the motor(s) and/or the power supply but I've had enough and I'm not prepared to keep replacing parts every few months.

The most annoying thing now is that it's stuck at the wrong height. So until I can replace it, I'm sat in a really uncomfortable position.

Soldato
I can't comment on that particular model but I own a sit-stand desk and highly recommend them. When you first get one you'll probably do about an hour at a time and then lower it. And it takes a couple of weeks before you mentally adapt.

But once you do, it really improves your productivity and you'll seen feel like you want to stand to work. It also makes a good mental separation between work and just idle browsing. Really can't recommend it highly enough. Just make sure you get a large-ish one so that you don't end up having a second, non-standing desk next to it for papers / overspill because that's a productivity breaker. You should be able to have everything you need on the one, raisable desk.

I know it's an old post, but I completely agree with this guy. I hadn't managed to put it into words before, but you're absolutely right on the separation between idle browsing and working. I have a sitting/standing desk at work and I'm never more productive than when I'm standing. It just makes you feel like you've got **** to do.

Back
Top Bottom