Bike locks.

Soldato
Depends on the insurance company but Almax get high ratings. Expensive though.

I don't declare any of my locks (chains or discs) as I sometimes forget to put it on and knowing my luck the day I forget to put it on is the day it gets nicked and insurance ask 'was it locked?' .......

Not sure if locks make a huge difference on insurance do they? It's more where it's parked that reduces or increases cost I believe.

Man of Honour
I think declaring a disc lock and chain made about a fiver difference but as above I removed them so they couldn't use them to wriggle out of paying

Soldato
I have an Oxford Hardcore chain and an Oxford Disc Lock. I do not declare them and rarely use them.

If someone gets into my garage for the bike, I'd prefer that they just take it without smashing everything up. I use the disc lock when I'm out and about sometimes.

Associate
From what I understand, the main thing to note is that, if declared on insurance, you are expected to lock your bike wherever & whenever you stop.

Say you take a casual ride on a Sunday stopping a couple of times for a cuppa. The insurance company will expect you to carry your big heavy chain with you and lock it up each time you leave the bike unattended.

Soldato
From what I understand, the main thing to note is that, if declared on insurance, you are expected to lock your bike wherever & whenever you stop.

Say you take a casual ride on a Sunday stopping a couple of times for a cuppa. The insurance company will expect you to carry your big heavy chain with you and lock it up each time you leave the bike unattended.

Depends, when getting my policy I swear it stated the lock for overnight use only. But yeah, If you declare it, read up on it to make sure.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Isn't the flip side to this trying to make a claim where the bike was genuinely locked and they ask why you didn't declare the lock?

Man of Honour
How are they going to know? I'm pretty sure there's no legal way to use making something more secure as a way to wriggle out of not paying

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

How are they going to know? I'm pretty sure there's no legal way to use making something more secure as a way to wriggle out of not paying
No doubt but you can be sure they'll ask if you had it locked up. If you say yes, I'd imagine they'll ask why you didn't tell them.

Playing devil's advocate a bit because I know what the insurance are like!

Associate
I'd imagine "I didn't declare it because I don't use it all the time, so wanted insurance cover whether I use the lock or not" would be an acceptable answer.

Tbh if you haven't declared any security I doubt they'd even ask about it since it's irrelevant to the claim.

Back
Top Bottom