**** The Official Samsung Galaxy S8/S8+ Thread ****

Soldato
I've been thinking about getting a new mobile phone for about a year now and I think I've finally settled on a Samsung S8. Looks like I can get it for £36 a month with 4GB of data and unlimited minutes and texts which seems like a good deal and I can also use it to take photos and record videos and store them on an SD card which really appeals to me. Are there any reasons I shouldn't get an S8 if I want it for the camera and recording video?

I figure the best people to ask about the faults of the S8 are the people who already own one. So if there is anything I should know before I order one please let me know :).

Soldato
S8 owners...do you use any glass/screen protector on your phones? I know it sort of spoils it but i just don't like to keep expensive phones "naked".
Any suggestions welcome.

Find a good one has been such a ball ache.

I got CPW to chuck one of their full screen cover ones and it was brilliant, i lost no touch sensitivity and it literately covers everywhere but the speaker holes. These were retailing at £24.99 or something like that, so when i broke it i was like LOLPLZ and went to the bay.

I have since ordered 4 which have arrived looking different to the picture, with a square section cut out up top near speaker and mics, as well as the screen protector ending too early and not curving all the way round. Not only does this look gash but allows for crap to get caught between the edge of the protector and the screen. I have complained every time and luckily have been refunded without needing to send these back.

The hunt continues.

Associate
Soldato
Couple of small niggly things I wonder if anyone can help with?

1) Media Volume - my car doesnt have BT audio, just calls, so I use an Aux cable for my tunes, on my Nexus 6 I use to leave the media volume at 100%, but every time I plug the aux cable in the S8, the media volume is 50% and I have to adjust it every time - I dont think its the volume limit warning as i accept that the first time. Is there anyway to leave the media volume at 100% despite it being set in sound settings. Just one less thing to mess about with

2) Do Not Disturb - when using this on my old Nexus 6, absolutely ZERO sounds came out of the phone, so I could watch videos and stuff whilst in boring meetings and rest assured it wouldnt make a noise. However, on the S8, the DND feature stops alerts and general stuff, but if i fire up the browser or chrome and play an embedded video, the sound comes blasting out. Is there any way to force DND to be fully silence it all including streamed videos in browsers?

Associate
Couple of small niggly things I wonder if anyone can help with?

1) Media Volume - my car doesnt have BT audio, just calls, so I use an Aux cable for my tunes, on my Nexus 6 I use to leave the media volume at 100%, but every time I plug the aux cable in the S8, the media volume is 50% and I have to adjust it every time - I dont think its the volume limit warning as i accept that the first time. Is there anyway to leave the media volume at 100% despite it being set in sound settings. Just one less thing to mess about with...

i haven't tried this but there is a samsung app that should allow the control of volume for individual apps.. could try it on the music app you use..

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.samsung.android.soundassistant&hl=en

Soldato
I know this deal is no longer available, but with the upcoming phone releases I suspect there will be more offers on the way so this is just an indication of what you could get - https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/sa...de-756-total-free-gear-vr-mobilescouk-2777255

MoneySuperMarket, £36/month, 30gb / unlimited / unlimited and no upfront cost, or go direct to the retailer if you cant be bothered saving a quid a month https://www.affordablemobiles.co.uk/samsung/samsung-galaxy-s8-black

Awesome :). Thank you both.

Associate
Just had an offer from EE Retentions for 34/month free S8 with 15GB data.

Can't find a stand alone 15GB sim only package to price it and see what the cost of the phone is coming out to but EE have an 18GB package for 21/month.

Does the retention deal sound good? Wondering if it's worth giving up current EE deal of 20/month for 20GB data fixed (non indexing to RPI)

Associate
Now that the Note 8 has been released and I have concluded that it doesn't really give me any significant reasons to continue with the Note range (currently have a Note 4) above the normal S range I am looking for an S8+. What are the best deals?

I am out of contract with Three and have one of the old One plans with essentially unlimited everything. I don't really need this anymore so was thinking of getting a Three sim only deal for £14 a month (12GB, unlimited minutes) and buying the phone sim free for £688.99 from Mobiles Phones Direct. Total cost for 2 years is £1024.99.

I have looked at some contract prices for both phone and plan but haven't found anything with a cheaper total cost over 2 years with the above minimum data and minutes allowance. Does anyone know of any better deals or a reputable place I can get the phone for cheaper? I also considering getting a refurbished unit from the same retailer for around £619 I believe it was.

Soldato
I just came from a Note 4 to S8 after weighing up the pros and cons of S8,S8+ and Note 8 and feel I made absolutely the right decision. When I bought the Note 4 I thought I'd make use of the stylus and the screen size would help my less than perfect eyesight! In reality I never really used the stylus and the screen on the S8 is around the same size and just as easy to read. The S8 bar screen size has the same specs as the S8+ and virtually the same specs has Note 8 but a hell of a lot cheaper!

I got what I think is a decent deal with Mobiles.co.uk £50 up front, £32.99 for S8 with VR headset, 5GB, unlimited, unlimited on EE. Very rarely go over 2GB data as I'm quite disciplined and have access to Wifi virtually all the time i need it. I worried about moving from the Note 4 but the S8 is a great replacement and only thing of any concern is the fixed battery but then I've never needed to change the battery in the Note 4 in the two years I've owned it :)

Associate
It is reassuring to know the same switch (- the +) worked out well for you. I am certainly looking forward to getting the S8+!

GiffGaff are selling the S8+ sim free and unlocked for £619 (plus minimum £10 Goodybag that can be cancelled anytime). But annoyingly I am having problems with their payment system and have to wait for an e-mail response as they have no telephone customer services. Already contacted my payment provider and established the problem is definitely on the GiffGaff side.

JC

JC

Soldato
I'm using a "ubittek armor" case purchased from a popular online retailer, had loads of good reviews and is great in my opinion.

Associate
How many owners have decided to block the Bixby button or remapped it to something useful? I currently have it completely disabled, but I wouldn't mind making use of a free button. It's just annoying with the current remapping apps that Bixby still pops up for a second. So that being the case I just stick with Nova and a multitude of gestures.

Associate
My beloved Nexus6 battery just can't hold a charge for long, so am looking for a new phone now. I've noticed that you can purchase a new Samsung Galaxy S8 Plus for as little as £520 online now, but still not sure whether I like the Samsung enough? The LG V30 and even G6 also look tempting.

Back
Top Bottom