Picked up a LG OLED55B6V

Associate
I can't decide between a 55 inch or 65 inch. A friend of mine has a 55 and I love how crisp the picture is. Would you lose some crispness and punchiness going from 55 to 65 due to being less dense?

Soldato
Just so you know I loaded the latest firmware 05.30.03 the other night and the detail in the blacks/shadows is quite improved (using the same previous settings)

LG definitely have tweaked something with firmware 05.30.03.

Well worth doing!

:cool:

Soldato
Just so you know I loaded the latest firmware 05.30.03 the other night and the detail in the blacks/shadows is quite improved (using the same previous settings)

LG definitely have tweaked something with firmware 05.30.03.

Well worth doing!

:cool:

Yep, quite a few on AVF have also confirmed this, good to hear, not that it was bad in any way but improvements are always welcome.

Im waiting for the LG UK to list the firmware on their site before I install it, just a bit hesitant downloading from other websites even if it is official.

Soldato
But wasn't there a firmware release that made Game mode HDR worse? Have they released a further improvement since then?

Not sure, its been mentioned in the past the HDR game mode was dark but not found that an issue, apparently with the latest 5.** firmware for HDR game content everyone says to put Dynamic contrast to high, think even LG recommend this as well, NOTE: only for HDR game mode.

Caporegime
Not sure, its been mentioned in the past the HDR game mode was dark but not found that an issue, apparently with the latest 5.** firmware for HDR game content everyone says to put Dynamic contrast to high, think even LG recommend this as well, NOTE: only for HDR game mode.

Yeah I did that anyway for Game mode.

It's still not as bright as HDR standard on 4K Movies, but better than not having it.

Associate
Anyone got a 65b7v?

Had mine a week now, and its damn impressive with 4k hdr. Only prob is I think its going to have to go back for a replacement - LHS edge of the screen seems to have a feathering in tint/glow. Most worst at the physical edge and fades in over about four inches.

Shows up most with greys & whites and to an extent yellows. For example if the screen was displaying 25% grey, then the 4 inches on the LHS shows a yellowy grey. Same with white. Now I can't stop looking at it :(

Put Planet Earth II Jungle on, and cannot tell with all the greens!

Caporegime
Oh and Battlefield 1 was recently updated to support HDR.

Weird thing is - To use HDR to work from my Nvidia Titan X's I generally have to disable the Nvidia audio to get it to work.

But Battlefield 1 supports Dolby Digital Atmos. With that enabled I was able to play it in HDR with glorious atmos audio coming out of my Denon AVR and no issues. So I am now re-downloading all my other problematic HDR games to see if enabling Atmos in the windows control panel means they will work with audio....fingers crossed.

PS4 and Xbox One S don't have this issue.

Soldato
New version 05.30.03 firmware is officially on the LG UK site for the B6

According to AV Forums people, it improves black levels.

It also adds new background images to the 'no signal screen' and "changes the Amazon HDR mode"

http://www.lg.com/uk/support/software-firmware?search=OLED65B6V&pageVisibleFlag=2

Just installed it myself.

Have it on USB stick ready to install myself, just a bit unsure currently, heard a few people report glowing blacks??? and HDR game mode is dimmer and needs DC on high.

Have you tried HDR game mode since installing it.

Caporegime
Quite frankly the old firmware I was on (04.31.25) didn't really have a bright HDR game mode anyway, so I had DC on high anyway for HDR Game. Couldn't see any difference between the new firmware and the old in terms of that.

Breakthrough though - Shadow Warrior 2 worked fine with HDR and the receiver was showing Dolby Digital. It seems that if you send a bitstream signal over HDMI instead of PCM then it uses less bandwidth and works great.

Now to test Hitman...

Last edited:
Soldato
Quite frankly the old firmware I was on (04.31.25) didn't really have a bright HDR game mode anyway, so I had DC on high anyway for HDR Game. Couldn't see any difference between the new firmware and the old in terms of that.

Breakthrough though - Shadow Warrior 2 worked fine with HDR and the receiver was showing Dolby Digital. It seems that if you send a bitstream signal over HDMI instead of PCM then it uses less bandwidth and works great.

Now to test Hitman...

Yeah you are correct about game mode, just updated and the picture is no dimmer than before so Im not quite sure what everyone is talking about on some forums when they say its dimmer.

DC to high does brighten it but it washes out the colours a little, colour gamut to wide fixes that, do you find this?

Associate
Hello I've just picked up a LG OLED65B7V. Does anyone know how I can access the sky TV guide button on the magic remote? It all working but just don't know the actual button for the sky TV guide?

Back
Top Bottom