Oculus Rift

Associate
Ok, here is a quick guide.

Loosen all straps completely.
Put the headset on your head, front to back, like you were putting on a gasmask. Most people put it on like a baseball cap.
Make sure the triangle of straps at the back of the headset is as low as possible on your head. Almost to the neck.
Now tighten the side straps, don't tighten them too much, just enough so that the headset isn't loose on your head. Over tightening makes things worse.
Now tilt the faceplate until it's comfortable (more people don't realise that the faceplate moves)
Then tighten the top strap. Tighten it until it takes the weight of the headset but not too much so that it moves the headset from it's current position.

You will know when it's right because the headset will feel much more comfortable. Most people get headset face because they are using the side straps to pull the headset into correct position and this means the whole weight of the headset is on the face.

If these are unclear, let me know and I will go look for the proper instructions :)
Wow, very detailed thank you, I won't get time to play on it tonight as I'm at football, but I'll be sure to give this ago tomorrow

Associate
I hope it works for you. The 5 port version has been known to have issues with the Rift. The 4 port one is the recommended one for a reason.
Ah really? That sucks. Well it arrived today so I'll install it tonight anyway and give it a go. If it does work I'll report back. If not I'll return it and get the 4 port one.

I did manage to get it half working on the etron usb3 ports last night. Had an annoying sound issue where I only get a glitchy tone noise every now and then and nothing else (best way I can think of to describe it). I assume that's down to lack of bandwidth or something but just muted the sound for now and flew around in Google earth while everything else downloaded. Other than that it seems to work reasonably well. Definitely looking forward to more games tonight!

Soldato
Ah really? That sucks. Well it arrived today so I'll install it tonight anyway and give it a go. If it does work I'll report back. If not I'll return it and get the 4 port one.

I did manage to get it half working on the etron usb3 ports last night. Had an annoying sound issue where I only get a glitchy tone noise every now and then and nothing else (best way I can think of to describe it). I assume that's down to lack of bandwidth or something but just muted the sound for now and flew around in Google earth while everything else downloaded. Other than that it seems to work reasonably well. Definitely looking forward to more games tonight!

Try plugging the headset into a USB 2 port if you have on free.

Associate
Ok update on the 5 port usb 3 card. It seems to be working so far, no issues as far as I can tell. I'll continue to monitor it over the next few days and see how it goes.

And melmac, I've also done as you said and swapped it between the usb 3 on the card and a spare usb 2 on my motherboard. Both options seem to give the same performance, that is working fine compared to using the onboard etron usb 3 which had the issues. So good tip for anyone else with audio problems

Caporegime
Quick question for everyone. My son plays on my PC a lot when he's here and he likes Minecraft but when I have the rift plugged in it always displays on the rift and he prefers to play on the monitor. This leads to him unplugging the headset which then really stops me from playing as I can't be bothered pulling the PC out, faffing about with the ports etc. Is there a way to stop Minecraft launching on the rift without unplugging it?

Also Lucky's Tale is weird. Didn't make me ill but I could feel myself rocking backwards and forwards at times. Never felt like this with Robo Recall.

Associate
Also Lucky's Tale is weird. Didn't make me ill but I could feel myself rocking backwards and forwards at times. Never felt like this with Robo Recall.

Can't help with Minecraft sorry but I agree on Lucky's Tale. Think it's the moving on so many different axis thing it does that makes me feel odd. Like the character moves, your view moves with head movement and at the same time the world scrolls itself. Not a fan!

Soldato
Quick question for everyone. My son plays on my PC a lot when he's here and he likes Minecraft but when I have the rift plugged in it always displays on the rift and he prefers to play on the monitor. This leads to him unplugging the headset which then really stops me from playing as I can't be bothered pulling the PC out, faffing about with the ports etc. Is there a way to stop Minecraft launching on the rift without unplugging it?

Use Oculus tray tool and stop the service.

Soldato

Glad it worked for you. Just remember only plug two sensors into that card or one sensor and the headset. You will have tracking glitches if you try to use more than that.

Soldato
Is the DK2 worth getting? Can get it for under 100, and I think it has the same display as the consumer one. Really wanna dip my toes in desktop VR

I owned a DK2 and I would say that as long as you don't want/need the Touch controllers then yes it is worth getting for under £100. You will then be using the Xbox controller and potentially a steering wheel or joystick/HOTAS for "seated" driving/flying sim games.

However, the Touch controllers are great for interacting in room scale type games and if you want that experience you really need to go for the full CV1.

Regarding the display the CV1 is a bit better than the DK2. However it's not a huge improvement, so I wouldn't recommend spending the extra money purely for the difference in the display.

Associate
Is the DK2 worth getting? Can get it for under 100, and I think it has the same display as the consumer one. Really wanna dip my toes in desktop VR
The IT manager at my work owns the DK2 together with a leap motion sensor which I believe tracks his hands and tricks the software into thinking he's holding Touch controllers, he says he has no problems playing Robo Recall amongst others. Worth a YouTube look to see if its easy to set up, could be an in expensive way of getting into VR

Soldato
I would guess he's using revive + the leapmotion steamvr driver to get that to work. I never got the steamvr leapmotion driver to work personally though when I had a DK2.

I can't imagine robo recall would be a good experience. The leap motion is far too limited in field of view... how would you reach over your shoulder?

Soldato
Regarding the display the CV1 is a bit better than the DK2. However it's not a huge improvement, so I wouldn't recommend spending the extra money purely for the difference in the display.

If you're aiming to play elite then the difference is well worth it, text is readable without issue in the CV1, the DK2 was awful for trying to read in.

Soldato
If you're aiming to play elite then the difference is well worth it, text is readable without issue in the CV1, the DK2 was awful for trying to read in.

I've not tried Elite and so can't comment on that game experience. Obviously if the CV1 display takes it over a line that makes the game playable then that is important. Although in general terms I'm not convinced that it would be worth paying more than 4 x the cost of a DK2 just for the display. There are plenty of people that find the current generation of VR headsets (Oculus CV1 and HTC Vive) to be less than stunning when it comes to the actual resolution and image quality - 4K they are not :D

Associate
It's not just the display that's worth 4x the cost: it's also the touch support (touch is a must-have feature imo, even if you mostly play cockpit games) and it's a difference in not supported vs supported hardware.

Associate
Obviously if the CV1 display takes it over a line that makes the game playable then that is important. Although in general terms I'm not convinced that it would be worth paying more than 4 x the cost of a DK2 just for the display.
There's another important thing that makes it worth it to me, and that's the SDE. While it's still there, there's an important distinction that makes a world of difference imo. With the DKs, the SDE was large enough that it felt like there was literally a filter directly in front of my eyes and in front of the virtual world. With the CV1, it doesn't feel like that, and instead the SDE is more like a fine mesh that is on the actual objects within the world rather than a coarse mesh between me and what I'm seeing (that's the best way I can describe it anyway). For me it makes an enormous difference to the sense of immersion.

Soldato
Discovered Robo Recall completely by accident!

Got my rift yesterday. And I think it came included in the bundle as I haven't paid extra for it..... It is by far the most enjoyable FPS game I've played in years.... Perhaps even ever. And thats saying a lot because I usually hate FPS games.

Back
Top Bottom