Hurricane - Irma

Associate
To back this up, early reprots from Barbuda is that over 90% of all building have been razed to the ground. Reports are patchy because almost all communication channels have been taken out.
damaged more than 90% of buildings on Barbuda,

not quite the same as razed to the ground

Man of Honour
There's a hell of a lot going on at the moment. Hurricane Irma, Jose and Katia. Both Jose and Katia are strengthening and Irma is still Cat5.

Nils Gilman‏ @nils_gilman
As of right now, Hurricane Irma is forecast to make landfall directly at Mar a Lago http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/graphics_at1.shtml?cone

I feel a lot of pain is coming for the people who live in the Caribbean, Cuba and Florida, and that gets a massive amount of sympathy and hope that they're all ok.

But.....

hcmyixS.gif

Associate
Similar to Hurricane Matthew last year, I'm in the path of Hurricane Irma. Was supposed to be heading to Atlanta, Georgia but that seems to be booked up by Floridians so I'm heading to Knoxville, Tennessee this time to ride it out.

Associate
It isn't the cause, it is the intensity. Warmer ocean water adds energy.

Would be interesting to see actual studies / data directly correlating Hurricane strength with ocean temperature.

Interestingly we've just received a significant barrage of solar activity including an M class & X9.3 class solar flare (strongest event in a decade) which has accelerated 2 earth directed CME's predicted to peak there disruptive effect on the 9th (just as Irma nears Florida).

Now if space weather and geomagnetic storms induced by solar activity are tied to Hurricane's intensity and formation [watching this EU video indicates that this could actually be the case] then Florida is in for a very rough ride, the Hurricane will likely intensify hugely in the next 48 hrs.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Hey, supposed to be flying into Tampa sunday... I heard Orlando are cancelling flights on saturday or something, I'm thinking about cancelling ours :\
You'll have to wait for an official warning or "no fly" announcement from the airline or you'll be hit with a cancellation fee.

Soldato
Hours and hours of coverage of hurricane Harvey which hit Texas recently on the BBC News. Irma, the most powerful strom on record gets a few minutes which will obviously increase if it hits Florida.

Soldato
Looks like after Irma has passed through Jose could do a loop in the atlantic and return to hit Bahamas and Florida again

ecmwf_z500_mslp_us_fh0.gif

Soldato
would love to go and see it first hand, doubt anyone would sell me a ticket to get there now though :(

wunderground's showing 220kph winds for the Turks, possible 20' swells etc, sounds like there's a lot more to come before it all calms down again.

Back
Top Bottom