Core parts for a Ryzen build

Associate
I'm considering a completely fresh build, and am mainly looking to get the core system right now, which I can add to over the next year or so.

I have selected the strix and the team group as they appeared to be commonly used.

Is there an agreed best value combination for the Ryzen system overclocking yet, or is it simply a lottery or pay a lot?

I assume the memory is good, but maybe can save some money? Will this motherboard hold me back? Spending £200 on a MB may make me cry, but if that's what is needed and it lasts 5 years then maybe.

The other components are just to get up and running. I need a new GC but will consider in the dedicated section. I have a SSD.I will add new cooling for overclocking later.

Any suggestions welcome and thanks for the help.

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £1,060.34
(includes shipping: £0.00)

Associate
Hi I am new to pc gaming . I'm wondering as I'm going to use a 4k tv as my monitor I'm going to spend 1500-2000 on a computer. Will my 4k tv be okay as a moniter

Soldato
No real need to buy extra thermal paste as the stock cooler will have some pre-applied.

I would go with the 7200rpm version of that HDD or a Seagate Barracuda (Green label) or Toshiba.

That psu is not the best. A Seasonic Focus Gold 550W would be better.

Total: £221.42
(includes shipping: £10.50)

Soldato
Hi I am new to pc gaming . I'm wondering as I'm going to use a 4k tv as my monitor I'm going to spend 1500-2000 on a computer. Will my 4k tv be okay as a moniter

Hi Paulo

A TV is not usually as good as a dedicated monitor, as they can have poor input lag. This will be bad if you play a lot of fps type games. Have a look and see if it has a 'gaming mode'

It would be best if you started a new thread though and that way it doesn't hijack this one.

Welcome to the forum as well :)

Associate
OP
No real need to buy extra thermal paste as the stock cooler ...........................

Thanks for the suggestions. Will have a read about the power supply and add it to the order along with the HD. Ordering the thermal paste as I have ran out and need for other systems.

No problem about the thread Paulo, good luck starting one. Not sure what you mean by needing 5 names.

Soldato
Lee when starting a new conversation it asks for five names . I'm only new to this so how to I get past this?
You need to click on 'Post New Thread' box in the top right of the forum.

Enter a title for your thread - try not to make it ambiguous.

Then write the full details in the box below.

Then submit.

Soldato
Lee when starting a new conversation it asks for five names . I'm only new to this so how to I get past this?

As mentioned by Plec, just click on 'post new thread' at the top right of the webpage.

sd37ns.jpg

Soldato
Thanks for the suggestions. Will have a read about the power supply and add it to the order along with the HD. Ordering the thermal paste as I have ran out and need for other systems.
Solid advice by Lee.

If you have the budget have you considered a better case - one more befitting the quality competents you have?

If the case is tucked away and you don't intend tinkering - ignore :)

Associate
OP
This will be a temporary case. I am just trying to minimise my outlay right now without weakening the system in the future or wasting too much money. I have no set budget. I wont miss the £26 and it will get the system running until I pick up something better.

My main concern is the board, memory and CPU as I intend on keeping these. I may yet go to the MM for the GC or get a 1060 3GB. Still considering this, but looking there seems to be nothing worth buying below the 1070. Prices are just too high for the performance. My monitor is 1080p, but I will upgrade to a curved super-wide later. If I went 1060 I would have to replace it, so considering the 1070.

Soldato
Take from me, I've build a quite a number of Ryzen systems now, and the difference between 3000 to 3200MHz RAM is not worth £70 for 2% performance, get it running at 2933 with tight timings, OCUK sell this https://www.overclockers.co.uk/team...al-channel-kit-grey-tlgd416g30-my-087-tg.html RAM for £119.50, you can add the extra £70, and then get a GTX 1080, which will add 20% better performance in games.

Oh they also do a cracking kit with pretty much the best Ryzen board you can buy for only £423 with the R5 1600, and 16GB RAM, I've used the Taichi and personally I rate it above the Asus CH VI.

Total: £553.97
(includes shipping: £10.50)

I've listed the RAM in the basket as a separate item, just do you can see it easily, as my last link was a bit pants.

£423 for the kit, then £470 for a GTX 1080, and dump that over priced PSU, you don't need 650w gold for £85, when you can get something much cheaper, that is going to supply way more than the 330w that system will consume, believe me, I've wasted more than enough money on PSU, thinking I'd add more stuff, when inevitably things have generally become less power hungry.

If you are trying to minimise the costs, like you said, then get solid core components that you will not have to change, you could even consider getting a hard drive from the clearance section to save a few more quid, also dump the arctic silver, the paste on the cooler of the 1600 is fine, unless you are cack handed and need to remount it several times :p

Last edited:
Soldato
That bundle is a really good deal - especially if you take out the AIO if you're happy with 3.7GHz (@OP - 3.7GHz achievable with supplied stock Wraith) if you need to save funds for a cooler.

You get an X370 ATX, a 1600 (which will clock to 3.9GHz with the right cooler when wanted) and memory that will usually hit 2933 using the XMP - for £424 (without AIO).

Agree with the memory/GFX slight-of-hand - for ease of getting a better GFX card.

Soldato
That bundle is a really good deal - especially if you take out the AIO if you're happy with 3.7GHz (@OP - 3.7GHz achievable with supplied stock Wraith) if you need to save funds for a cooler.

I've only had one R5 1600, from approx 8. that has not done 3.7GHz on stock volts. Usually get 3.8-3.9GHz with out going over 75c just with the included cooler.

Soldato
Soldato
I've only had one R5 1600, from approx 8. that has not done 3.7GHz on stock volts. Usually get 3.8-3.9GHz with out going over 75c just with the included cooler.
Sorry, when i said stock i meant 'stock cooler.

I've played it safe so far for friends/family builds and stuck them at 3.7GHz if they stick with the Wraith - as i don't want calls waiting for me when i get back from work. :)

Kudos at 3.9GHz and those temps with Wraith. I experimented with one at 3.8GHz - but didn't let my him keep it (lives too far away and totally techy illiterate).

Soldato
Kudos at 3.9GHz and those temps with Wraith. I experimented with one at 3.8GHz - but didn't let my him keep it (lives too far away and totally techy illiterate).

That was the exception, and on one unit only. Also to be fair, it was about 1.3v actual, with a really good case and cooling. :)

Back
Top Bottom