What did you do to your bike today?

Soldato
I know what it is, I didn't take too much risk.

This time I didn't go at my usual pace, I was riding calmly back home, a bit tired after being out all afternoon and nearly evening. I always take it easy when I ride back home...

You crashed while breaking the speed limit but still going much slower than you normally do, but somehow still can't see that there's a problem here.

IC3

IC3

Soldato
You crashed while breaking the speed limit but still going much slower than you normally do, but somehow still can't see that there's a problem here.
And you were there and clocked my speed? You can see by my leathers and bike that I didn't go fast when you're doing 60 and someone is a standstill on the road without an indicator or anything you could assume he's moving a bit slower.

But hey ho, you guys are the experts. :) Police did a report, which I bought out for £123, sadly there were no pictures. But, in the notes it says that there's no indication of speeding. It was a waste of money tbh, should have bought a PH premium account...

I love how many experts we have on here :D

Edit

I wouldn't have time to ride anymore, anyways. I took a dog from the shelter who was going to be put, to sleep and I'm training him like I did with my German shepherd before some **** poisoned him... peoples jealousy doesn't have barriers. :mad:

IMG_20170313_0001210.jpg

I don't know how someone after 6 years can just ditch their dog, I spent all my savings on trying to save the poisoned German shepherd I had... :(

Last edited:

IC3

IC3

Soldato
So basically you paid 123GBP to find out the cops thought you couldn't corner even at reasonable speeds? LOL
I hit a kerb straight on, how do you judge from that my corner ability? ...

Ehh... the irony, Kreeee said that my crash would happen at some point, next day he crashed... some other commented and crashed shortly after. Karma? I don't know... just don't make things up. ;) Crashes happen all the time, I'm not the only one who crashed on here. But you lot seem to overthink it more than I do. Why waste time on it? It's nice and sunny, go for a ride and easy off a bit... :)

I paid for the report to see if there's anything interesting in it, I don't know why the investigation took over a month, the report didn't really have much in it. I still have it somewhere along with other paper work... I wanted to learn from this crash and find out what happened. But looks like, in the UK they don't take pictures at the scene even if no one is involved, so it was pointless.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
too much risk. I did a few times, riding a group go figure

That's when I had my accident too. I'm much more comfortable leading a group or riding solo as it's much easier to choose the level of risk when you're not also concerned about getting lost or splitting up the group by not overtaking.

Mine was also after riding about 500kms in a day on mountain roads.

Man of Honour
Ehh... the irony, Kreeee said that my crash would happen at some point, next day he crashed

The difference is I learned from my mistake rather than going "oh well I don't really know what happened so maybe I'll get a track bike and risk the lives of others there too".

You can still learn from a crash when you have no recollection of it. Your attitude and riding clearly ended up in a bad situation, so if you ever get on a bike again you need to change something to avoid repeating history.

IC3

IC3

Soldato
That's when I had my accident too. I'm much more comfortable leading a group or riding solo as it's much easier to choose the level of risk when you're not also concerned about getting lost or splitting up the group by not overtaking.

Mine was also after riding about 500kms in a day on mountain roads.
I did 3 routes twice, then went off around Cambridge roads, stopped for fuel before going off to ride on the good roads around Gratham, took a brake nearby a lake and headed off home as it was getting late. I was knackered. But still wanted to take the back roads home, as it was nice and sunny. It was one of the first days when it was nice, it was boiling that day.

Well I'm assuming that the kerb wasn't straight ahead on the road, so you must have turned? Anyways you're obviously not ready to even consider your riding style is dangerous so keep your head deep in the sand.
It was nearby a dual carriageway, maybe someone in front of me changed their mind about entering it and did an illegal u turn? Idk, I got my conscious back when police were there and paramedics were loading me onto the board.

I'll upload a video later, a guy slams his brakes in front and stops on the roundabout... people can do anything. I don't know what's going through their heads when they do it. :(

The difference is I learned from my mistake rather than going "oh well I don't really know what happened so maybe I'll get a track bike and risk the lives of others there too".

You can still learn from a crash when you have no recollection of it. Your attitude and riding clearly ended up in a bad situation, so if you ever get on a bike again you need to change something to avoid repeating history.
I'll admit it, if it happened 2 hours before, I would probably be dead and hit whatever I tried to avoid. You say I haven't learned from it, but I learned one thing... roads in this age and day aren't worth the risk. Hence why I said, I'll go to the track and learn how to ride properly. I signed up for an event where an ex-racer was going to give tips on the cornering and you got to do a trackday for cheap. But my crash happened...

I lost a friend 2 years ago, a guy pulled out on him... his excuse was "I didn't see you..." I don't want to die that way, if I kill myself its a different story.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I lost a friend 2 years ago, a guy pulled out on him... his excuse was "I didn't see you..." I don't want to die that way, if I kill myself its a different story.

You need to ride as if everyone is out to kill you. Even in the Alps you get Italians driving on the wrong side of the road mid-hairpin so you really need to ride defensively everywhere in the world.

Killing yourself is one thing, but what if you kill someone else? It concerns me that you don;t see that as a problem.

Associate
roads in this age and day aren't worth the risk.

Roads are absolutely fine as long as you follow some basic rules.

Understand the limit of the bike

Understand the limit of the road (traffic, weather, condition of surface etc)

As others have said ride defensively like all other road users are out to kill you, this includes other riders.

If riding in a group do not give in to peer pressure if you aren't comfortable at the speed they ride then don't do it get there a few seconds/minutes later but alive.

And most importantly understand the limits of your own skill or lack of........

IC3

IC3

Soldato
I thought you said in your original posts after the accident that you were in excess of the speed limit, but not by as much as you normally would be?
Nope, I said I rode normally... I had plenty of fun that day, so no need to push my luck especially when I'm tired. Its tiring hanging off from one side to another, I envy the pro racers their fitness level must be really good. Mines not too bad, but I get tired after 30-45min of hooning when I'm on it.
Roads are absolutely fine as long as you follow some basic rules.

Understand the limit of the bike

Understand the limit of the road (traffic, weather, condition of surface etc)

As others have said ride defensively like all other road users are out to kill you, this includes other riders.

If riding in a group do not give in to peer pressure if you aren't comfortable at the speed they ride then don't do it get there a few seconds/minutes later but alive.

And most importantly understand the limits of your own skill or lack of........
I do take these into consideration, the road where I stuck my knee down had loads of open corners so it was fairly safe and there were no side roads or junctions. I didn't ride fast when it happened, in fact all my crashes were within the legal speed limit. It might sound like I take risks, but I don't go knee down around blind bends. I do like to go faster, but I only do it on the roads I feel comfortable on or when I follow my mate. He's smooth then you look on the speedo and its like oh... that's a bit quick. No excessive braking or anything, but he's been riding for 7 years, 5 out of those 7 he did trackdays. I use to do a scout run before going mad, slowly cruising at 50 just looking at whats on the road. Than a lap to warmup the tyres and off I go.

Rossi knows what road I'm on about, everyone takes their bike there. It's the only good road around this area, other roads are ok'ish...

Last edited:

IC3

IC3

Soldato
Other crashes? How many have you had?
1. One in winter, the front brakes locked up on me from salt buildup, I managed to keep it up and finally put it down at around 10-15mph as it was really wobbly and there was a car in front.
2. Diesel patch at night on a roundabout, I got up, checked the bike and rode back home.
3. Well... you know, possible pullout.

The other 2 were as a pillion, but nothing major...

This one wouldn't be too bad if the bike hasn't landed on me. I would have got away with bruises and a smashed up wrist.

Associate
I've found I probably go slower on the bike generally than I would in the car unless it's a smooth/straight road (at least it feels like it). In the car I'm always stuck behind others so the odd chance I get I go for it (as much as a 75hp car can), especially on wet/uneven/gravel/where idiots may be I'll be far faster in the car.

Knowing I can overtake any car coming up much easier and filter through traffic takes away from the idea of "must make maximum progress while a car isn't in the way", average speed is up just by not getting stuck going really slow. Though having had the bike for only a few months, maybe I'm just still enjoying the slower speeds.

Doing IAM at the moment, it's still annoying not being able to break the speed limit to overtake on observed rides though...

IC3

IC3

Soldato
I've found I probably go slower on the bike generally than I would in the car unless it's a smooth/straight road (at least it feels like it). In the car I'm always stuck behind others so the odd chance I get I go for it (as much as a 75hp car can), especially on wet/uneven/gravel/where idiots may be I'll be far faster in the car.

Knowing I can overtake any car coming up much easier and filter through traffic takes away from the idea of "must make maximum progress while a car isn't in the way", average speed is up just by not getting stuck going really slow. Though having had the bike for only a few months, maybe I'm just still enjoying the slower speeds.

Doing IAM at the moment, it's still annoying not being able to break the speed limit to overtake on observed rides though...
Last time I drove my dad Saab, I dropped them off at a wedding and picked them up. He said, I drive like my grandad... The car has around 245-250hp. I usually just sit back, put music on and cruise in a car, I don't get the same feeling I get on a bike so don't see the point.

Associate
Took the Transalp for a quick ride today. First time I've ridden it since the beginning of June! Working from home means I'm no longer using it for commuting and a decent ride for me has to be around 3 hours to cater for getting in and out of London suburbia.
Wales trip coming up in a couple of weekends time though so looking forward to a weekend riding again!

Back
Top Bottom