Remortgage Deal!

Associate
Base rate kept on hold, but sounding like that rise is coming sooner and sooner

"This morning, traders in the City viewed a rate rise as more likely than not by February, now they expect it by December."

If your thinking of jumping on a fix do it quickly. The banks take a little while to adjust but not long

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-41266528

Might switch to the 5 year 1.69% fix this Saturday!

Although the talk of a quicker increase some say is to pump up the pound, and try and put a curb on inflation etc

Soldato
1.99% is too high, why not move to hsbc/first direct, with your LTV can get 1.69% afaik over 5 year fixed.

Issue i'd have with 1.54% 2 year fix would be the inevitable rates after the 2 years are up.

I spoke to First Direct, but whilst it was £0 product fee, they wanted to do a valuation survey or something like that which would cost, by time you have added that, plus the inevitable faff around with paperwork (I am self employed) it's easier to stick with current lender in that instance for the 1.99%

Soldato
I've just remortgaged from a Fixed rate to a 2yr Tracker... starting to think I'm a bit crazy (and it is certainly against the crowd) but there is a lot of thought behind the decision. No overpayment charges or fees on the tracker and I can move to a fixed rate easily. We'll see if rates go up in November, if they do it will be 0.25% and further rises will be gradual.

I've just remortgaged from a Fixed rate to a 2yr Tracker... starting to think I'm a bit crazy (and it is certainly against the crowd) but there is a lot of thought behind the decision. No overpayment charges or fees on the tracker and I can move to a fixed rate easily. We'll see if rates go up in November, if they do it will be 0.25% and further rises will be gradual.

Thats brave!
Problem with fixing when rates start to rise is that they quickly price in the expectations of further rises.

I am still not convinced we will see rate rises this year, personally I think early next assuming nothing negative happens before then, I think Carney was firing a shot across the bows with his comments. Its not even his call directly, he can only influence.
Was funny looking at the HYS on BBC, some of the Brexiteer logic was awesome, including the obligatory send him home comments

Associate
Didn't get chance to fix on HSBC last weekend, but looked at 5 year fix again and its now 1.59%

Much beter prospect than my current 1.54% tracker with all this BOE rise talk.

5 Year Fixed Standard
60% 1.59% 3.69% 2.6% APRC £999

2 year fixes are pointless as rates will be above 1.59% quite easily in 2 years.

Soldato
In a note published on Monday, it forecast at 25 basis points rise to 0.50% in November - when the Bank of England's Monetary Policy Committee (MPC) next meets

My current deal finishes at the end of November. I have the option in the online banking to select the next fix already, I have been offered 1.78% for 2 years. I'm very slightly over 75% LTV and if I make a £550 overpayment this month combined with November's normal monthly payment I'll come under 75% and I think I can get a rate of 1.64%.

The monthly mortgage payment comes out on 1st November and the MPC meet on the 2nd. Hopefully I have time to get onto the lower interest rate before anything changes if they put the base rate up!

Soldato
Whilst I am not ruling out an interest rate rise of some kind over the next year or two, I would be very surprised if it happens this calendar year.

Make your overpayment get your LTV onto the next band ready to go, but I would not necessarily go all in for a rate rise right now, the last vote was still 7-2 against or something.

My current deal finishes at the end of November. I have the option in the online banking to select the next fix already, I have been offered 1.78% for 2 years. I'm very slightly over 75% LTV and if I make a £550 overpayment this month combined with November's normal monthly payment I'll come under 75% and I think I can get a rate of 1.64%.

The monthly mortgage payment comes out on 1st November and the MPC meet on the 2nd. Hopefully I have time to get onto the lower interest rate before anything changes if they put the base rate up!

Even if they do apply a rise in the rate, the banks typically take a little while to pull the old products and add new ones, so if you were literally ready to apply then you can beat the rise.

Its a game, rates are funny things, longer term fixes can fall even if headline rate goes up, because at the same time economists can actually predict lower rates ahead than they did previously and as such the blended base rate over the fix period can drop.

Will they rise, wont the rise, you have as much chance predicting the winner in the local 2.30 horse race ;)

Associate
Got some figures off HSBC yesterday.

Going from 1.54% tracker to 1.59% 5 year fix will put my monthly payment up by circa £4.

If I add the £1000 product fee on top of the mortgage as I don't have £1000 spare at the moment, that adds around £5 to the monthly payments.

So £9 a month extra for a 5 year fix

Got some figures off HSBC yesterday.

Going from 1.54% tracker to 1.59% 5 year fix will put my monthly payment up by circa £4.

If I add the £1000 product fee on top of the mortgage as I don't have £1000 spare at the moment, that adds around £5 to the monthly payments.

So £9 a month extra for a 5 year fix

Its hard to see any negative in that, I mean literally any rise in interest rates would put your current deal up to more than the fixed would be. OF course you could be losing £1000 in effect (plus interest on that) if rates dont move, but i think you would struggle to find anyone who thinks rates wont have been higher over the 5 years by enough to cover that minimal increase for the fix.

Just check the ERC etc as thats really he only negative your incurring.

All IMHO of course :)

Soldato
Cracking thread, many would do well to heed the advice in here. Currently 4 months into my mortgage with 5-year fixed term at 2.89% (90% LTV), will be able to transition to another 5-year fix at the end of this period at 1.74% (LTV around 65%), assuming rates stay the same (which they may not). This excludes overpayments or any rise in the value of my property which may come.

All good news, and not something I'd taken into account when I bought.

Soldato
So glad we fixed at 5 year...kind of wish we had gone for the 10 year however the extra headroom given from a fall in our monthly payment will help when I change jobs next year for a much lower wage!

Associate
I have a question, Me and my brother have a mortgage on a small house and it's due to be renewed. But I am now on disability benefits. The mortgage isn't for the biggest amount and the ESA and PIP can easily pay it, in fact some money goes directly from the government to Halifax already. My brother also still has his job and earns easily enough to cover the mortgage on his own.

So will Halifax accept me now I'm on the sick?

Associate
Some very interesting points in this thread. I'm halfway through a 2year fix on a great rate. I'm really hoping time allows for me to fix in to a potential 5year fix before the rates go up too far!

Soldato
At 2.25% variable currently, can fix 5 years at 2.14% with no setup fee.
Seems like a good idea. If they let me, missus doesn't work so our circumstances have changed.
Though only have 130k to pay on a 250k house, guess this might help

Soldato
I can afford the repayments, it's just whether their system says I can. Though I did a mortgage calculation and on my own I'm allowed around 185k with depenandant listed and wife as a non worker.

Back
Top Bottom