EK vega block warped/bent.

Associate
I just received a rma replacement for my Vega acetal-nickel block.
First block was warped/bent and now the rma'd one is no better :mad:

Both blocks have the "bend" in same spot.It's easily spotted so should be picked up by EK QC imo.There is quite a wobble when rested on a glass table.
When the block is just sat on the pcb there is about a 3mm gap on 2 of the standoffs and a smaller gap on the next row of them.

I really don't want to attempt to fit this as it will bend the pcb a lot plus with the hbm2 being on the die I'd be weary of putting to much pressure on it.

Anyone ever seen a block like that before?
I haven't and have lots of blocks over the years.

Excuse the poor quality pic but its the best I can do with no decent camera.
dZhkKOp.jpg

Associate
OP
Never had anything like that will the two ek blocks i have owned. Definitely would not fit that to your card as it could damage or kill it. Did you order straight from EK or through a retailer?

Bought from here.I have a webnote in but being the weekend I don't expect to hear anything back until monday :(

Paying once to return a faulty product is a pain but paying twice is not good.
Ocuk did have a great turnaround from when they received the first block back so hopefully this can be sorted quickly.

Soldato
Bought from here.I have a webnote in but being the weekend I don't expect to hear anything back until monday :(

Paying once to return a faulty product is a pain but paying twice is not good.
Ocuk did have a great turnaround from when they received the first block back so hopefully this can be sorted quickly.

If the product is faulty, OCUK will refund the postage. Just hang onto the receipts.

Associate
OP
I had used DPD parcel wizard (address in NI.) to get the block delivered to me so when I asked for label I got a yes.They obviously saw the UK address initially.Then a few minutes later I got a no due to seeing my return address of the rma being in Ireland.

Its such a pain as I've had my Vega 56 for nearly 2 weeks and used for a day to test before I striped it down for the block.Its holding my rebuild up which is the most annoying part of it tbh.
I'll fire a mail off to EK either way as its so surprising to see a 2 blocks so warped.I think I've had 6 gpu blocks over the years and everyone of them was perfect.

Associate
OP
I got a reply today re my webnote.RMA is set up.
They said they will refund the shipping costs.Hopefully that will be processed this time.

Great service to have help on a Saturday.

Associate
I tried a total of 3 EK 980 strix blocks back when they were new , all visibly bent, it turned out all the stock ocuk had at the time was faulty. Ocuk were great, EK support was less than helpful, denying there was an issue even when i sent them photos.

Don't get me wrong, iv'e had loads of EK blocks since and currently run one on my Titan xp and not had a similar issue.

Soldato
I've asked EK before and they do warp a little due to the manufacturing process. Clamping the Nickel onto acetal.

Like above comments my TXP blocks were like that although they were just visual and worked just fine. My recent block (ftw 3) is perfect so likely a bad batch.

Associate
OP
The 3rd block I received was only slightly bent.It was far better than the first two.
The bloody EK backplate I got was twisted which didn't help when tying to fit it.

There is a definite droop where the power connectors are and not the usual sag you see with larger/heavier cards.
I could have gotten a refund but I thought I may have got another bad block with a new company and have to go through the RMA all over again.

Ocuk where helpful and did refund my shipping costs so fair play to them but I really do think EK needs to rethink their quality control.I could see damage being done to a card if using a one of the badly warped blocks and trying to "make it fit".

Back
Top Bottom