'Incident' on Tube - District Line

Permabanned
We should just set aside some funding and hand immigration security to people from Mossad. The current situation is a farce, with hundreds of suspects going about their nefarious business unhindered, we need sweeping new powers of internment as in the two World Wars. This "War on Terror" is being run like a kid's tea party over here.

Man of Honour
On LBC this morning a former head of a terror department (sorry didn't catch the name or department as I turned on halfway through) was saying the second person arrested is a 21 year old. He called for arming of all police, heavily criticised the government over police cuts and suggested that internment of suspects may be needed in the near future. Lastly he said this issue will be ongoing for several generations.

Apart from internment I agree with him. I used to be against arming of the police (my late father was fairly senior in the met) but I think we have reached that stage now. I don't agree with internment but it wouldn't surprise me if we do need to introduce that at some stage.

Soldato
Arming all police officers won't happen until they all at least have Taser, and that's still years away (not that there are any current plans by any HO police service to do so anyway).

Soldato
How many more deaths will there be on our streets if all police were armed? It certainly isn't a deterrent to terror on the streets of Europe.

Caporegime
"In reality" you're underestimating how time-consuming it is to retrieve footage and then trawl through said footage. It's not like the movies where the police can just tap in to all the CCTV in all the country and find what they're looking for in 30 seconds. There's a reason the CCTV images were only released to the public weeks after that bridge incident, and it isn't because the investigating officer(s) was sitting on their arse waiting for the case to solve itself.

In the case of a serious incident or a terrorist attack things can obviously be made to move along more quickly, but there's no immediate rush for someone pushed over on the street.

Yes, I'm aware of all that, hence the 'in reality' part.

Fully aware of the fact these things take time.

Man of Honour
On LBC this morning a former head of a terror department (sorry didn't catch the name or department as I turned on halfway through) was saying the second person arrested is a 21 year old. He called for arming of all police, heavily criticised the government over police cuts and suggested that internment of suspects may be needed in the near future. Lastly he said this issue will be ongoing for several generations.

Apart from internment I agree with him. I used to be against arming of the police (my late father was fairly senior in the met) but I think we have reached that stage now. I don't agree with internment but it wouldn't surprise me if we do need to introduce that at some stage.

Arming the police would only help against the knife attacks we've had, for example.

Suicide bombers and people planting bombs can only be stopped by intelligence rather than having armed police everywhere - you don't tend to get a warning before the bomb goes off. Innocent people will end up being shot in a panic, it's so crowded in London.

It just seems a crazy suggestion to me and totally out of touch with the problem.

Man of Honour
Arming the police would only help against the knife attacks we've had, for example.

Suicide bombers and people planting bombs can only be stopped by intelligence rather than having armed police everywhere - you don't tend to get a warning before the bomb goes off. Innocent people will end up being shot in a panic, it's so crowded in London.

It just seems a crazy suggestion to me and totally out of touch with the problem.
There's no doubt we need more intelligence as well. Amed police are a last line of defence rather than first line. But they protect against attackers who may attack with knives, guns or vehicles (didn't armed police stop a vehicle attack?). For example the London Bridge policeman who bravely tackled three knife wielding attackers with just his truncheon could have stopped the attacks before they got any further if he had been armed. Also I think we owe it to the police putting themselves in the way of deadly attacks to give them a way of defending themselves. The unarmed policeman who was killed at Westminster deserved a way to protect himself.

RDM

RDM

Soldato
We should just set aside some funding and hand immigration security to people from Mossad. The current situation is a farce, with hundreds of suspects going about their nefarious business unhindered, we need sweeping new powers of internment as in the two World Wars. This "War on Terror" is being run like a kid's tea party over here.

Not really sure we need that for an enemy that seems just about capable of setting fire to a bucket.

Associate
Not really sure we need that for an enemy that seems just about capable of setting fire to a bucket.

So they aren't capable of deadly bombing, stabbing, running people down with lorries, shooting people, cutting people's heads off ? no according to you apparently these hateful muslims are simply high spirited.

If ever you're on the tube and some idiot places a bucket right next to you and runs off, just keep standing next to it and see if your theory is correct.

Caporegime
If it turns out this was somebody known to authorities, again, then perhaps we can focus less on a burning desire to police the internet and maybe see what our intelligence services need to do their jobs better.

RDM

RDM

Soldato
So they aren't capable of deadly bombing, stabbing, running people down with lorries, shooting people, cutting people's heads off ? no according to you apparently these hateful muslims are simply high spirited.

Where exactly did I say they were high spirited? That's right I didn't. I made a semi humorous remark about how inept the latest Jihadi was so please, don't get your knickers in a twist.

Soldato
What exactly would arming the police really achieve?

I can travel vast lengths of public transport, high streets and walk past thousands of people etc and not encounter a single police officer. Even doubling the number of police wouldn't make much of a difference, armed or otherwise. They can't be everywhere.

The calls for more police, security funding or arming of the police come about because politicians are still scared to tackle (or even name) the problem.

It's just a token knee jerk gesture at best and like raising the terror threat level, more theatre than anything else.

Associate
Where exactly did I say they were high spirited? That's right I didn't. I made a semi humorous remark about how inept the latest Jihadi was so please, don't get your knickers in a twist.

Don't worry, maybe next time they will not make you laugh so much and might blow some people up. The fact this guy was not able to make a bomb properly is not funny but is extremely concerning about how he slipped through the net.

Soldato

Requirements and testing should be strict as they are right now, whoever can pass can have a gun, lowering the requirements is the only problem you can encounter.

FYI what is your explanation of "the problem" Because as i see it there is no way to solve the problem. There are a few ways to tackle the symptoms effectively, well i could discuss two ways, one of them is not possible to do currently and might require another 20 years to begin to implement. Actually they are both the same, but one is high-tech and one is low tech.

Don't worry, maybe next time they will not make you laugh so much and might blow some people up. The fact this guy was not able to make a bomb properly is not funny but is extremely concerning about how he slipped through the net.

I agree, after every terrorist incident i am always thinking that it is good that they are incompetent and stupid, but i am not laughing about it at all.

Last edited:

RDM

RDM

Soldato

Are you sure it is the dark humour upsetting you (a long British tradition btw) and not the fact that I don't agree with interning everyone that doesn't eat bacon?

Permabanned
Given the number of these so called refugees and asylum seekers that, far from wanting somewhere to rest their weary heads and find tranquillity, actually want to blow EU citizens asunder, maybe President Trump actually had a workable answer in not letting any more into the country for a start? And before anyone says many are so called British citizens, they are never Mr. Jones' kids, are they?

Caporegime
How many generations should somebody have to be able to trace themselves back to not have their nationality prefixed with "so called"?

Back
Top Bottom