Retro console and games thread

Soldato
Picked up beyond good and evil on GameCube today! 11.99 didn't seem terrible compared to CEX and eBay being around 25-30. This was oxfam where in my local one, they try to put the cex price on the case for comparison.

They had Windwaker for 25 (too much for me) because cex sells it for 28

I'm all for charity shops making money, it's for a good cause but just seems weird.

Grabbed Burnout 3 for 2.99 too. Ps2

Charity shops have been getting very greedy on the retro scene for years. Its a shame because in theory they are there for a good cause, given these items for free, to sell at a reasonable price. Not to rip people off.

Caporegime
I think if they try to find out the approx market value of second hand goods then maybe knock a bit off that then it is fair enough... they are in the business of trying to raise money for charity and giving stuff away for a few quid when it is worth significantly more isn't efficient

Soldato
I think if they try to find out the approx market value of second hand goods then maybe knock a bit off that then it is fair enough... they are in the business of trying to raise money for charity and giving stuff away for a few quid when it is worth significantly more isn't efficient

Yea I can understand this and shouldn't moan really. I just think how they put a sticker saying 'CEX price' and then their price was a bit weird.

Wish whoever took them in, took them to the shop next door and I may have got a right bargain ;)

I guess we just expect a steal from charity shops, and that shouldn't be the case as you say it's for a good cause.

Associate
Picked this up last week from local flea market, wasnt cheap but still a good deal. I have a Amiga 600 but always wanted an Amiga 1200 as thats what i had back in the day :)

amiga1.jpg

amiga_2.jpg

amiga_3.jpg

Associate
A pick up from grainger games, my local one seems to be getting loads of ps2 decent titles aswell and are now selling a few ps1 games (all rubbish).

I wanted to love that so much but had to give up on it. It was so immensely repetitive that I just couldn't maintain interest. Plus I hated the upgrade system.

Soldato
Picked up the first two toca games, Monkey Hero, and yet another rally game on PS1, had to find another memory card as two are full!

Is 1MB the max that exist for PS1?

I also have Einhander coming from Japan, and have the PS X Change 2 disc so I can play from NTSC regions using a disc swap method.

Last edited:
Soldato
Picked up the first two toca games, Monkey Hero, and yet another rally game on PS1, had to find another memory card as two are full!

Is 1MB the max that exist for PS1?

I also have Einhander coming from Japan, and have the PS X Change 2 disc so I can play from NTSC regions using a disc swap method.

i think they go upto 8mb not the official ones though

Soldato
The Thing is quite tough! Need more med kits! I think it's partly down to the dated controls, find myself fumbling around in the moment and screwing up. Got to a boss last night and have no health and no kits, no chance :D will try again tnite

Soldato
Don't think I ever got chance to play that. Is it worth picking up?
Ummm I would say no having played it now for the first time, it's not aged well :( was only like 50p or something at CEX so not bad to have a look. I think the squad system was it's main gimmick. It's decent but not amazing.

The Thing popped up on hidden gem lists and even near the top of under rated horror game lists I found. Can't say it deserves a place myself. I wouldn't class it as horror at all, but maybe it's age isn't helping there. That said I recent played silent hill 2 for the first time and that actually disturbed me a bit ;)

Soldato
Its not the best! They tried to make an atmospheric survival horror game but it just gets tedious and boring quickly.

I think tedious sums it up. Feel bad not to finish it but maybe I won't miss much if I stop now and try something else. Also I haven't seen the film, maybe that would drive me a bit more. I understand the game is quite short but I dunno, I think I may move on

Back
Top Bottom