Google Pixelbook is a combo Chromebook and tablet

Soldato
Yea, but sesevans will try to convince you that it'll tickle your balls for that price. Google are losing the plot.

I've bought my last Google hardware with the N6 and N9.

Man of Honour
If only chromebooks weren't useless.

I'll get around to upgrading my Surface Pro 3 one day.
I don't use them myself but with many of them now running android apps it's clear that Google are merging the two. I rarely do much on my PC now that isn't online so one would probably be great for me. Also I believe it's possible to load Linux on the Pixel devices which turns them into a very high end laptop again.

...but I still wouldn't touch one at this price. It certainly is more limited than a regular laptop at this price point.

Permabanned
OP
Yea, but sesevans will try to convince you that it'll tickle your balls for that price. Google are losing the plot.

I've bought my last Google hardware with the N6 and N9.

Nah. I believe most users of Pixel Chromebooks to date have been devs so I think it will be easier for them justify a Pixelbook due to additional memory, ability to run Android apps, Linux, etc. Pixel Pen opens interesting possibilities for them too. So will keep an open mind going into 4 October presentation.

Associate
I don't use them myself but with many of them now running android apps it's clear that Google are merging the two. I rarely do much on my PC now that isn't online so one would probably be great for me. Also I believe it's possible to load Linux on the Pixel devices which turns them into a very high end laptop again.

...but I still wouldn't touch one at this price. It certainly is more limited than a regular laptop at this price point.

You can get chromebooks that run android apps for less then £200. Hell, there's a number of devices at this price point you can buy that offer a lot more.

Soldato
If the screen is good, the stylus is good, it's fast as hell and runs all the android apps I want then I'll get one. My Xperia Z4 tab still gets used daily for over two years but alas the battery is on its last legs so very much in the market for a replacement

But yes the price seems excessive

Soldato
If only chromebooks weren't useless.

I'll get around to upgrading my Surface Pro 3 one day.

Chromebooks are far from useless, I use one daily and love it.
Still they were designed to and should be a budget option which made sense, not this ridiculous thing Google are pedaling here which does not make sense one bit.

Soldato
What exactly does it do that a Chromebook at a quarter of the price won't do?

You can apply this principle to loads of products, a £20 Casio will give you the time just as well as a watch 5 times or a 1000 times more expensive. People like high end, well design products even if it's primary function doesn't reflect the vast price differences.

I have a top end Chromebook pixel 2, lovely piece of design, expensive yes, a joy to use and luckily it still commands a good resell value so If I ever decide to sell it then I can get a good £700-800 for it.

Soldato
I'll be getting one (base spec model) around Christmas time - really looking forward to it. Totally overpriced admittedly however it does everything I need out of a laptop plus plays android games and hopefully has an excellent stylus.
Was considering an iPad pro which comes out roughly the same price once you add keyboard and pen. Suddenly the pixel book seems rather good value when you look at it that way :D

Associate
Got one of these Pre-Ordered went for middle model which is the i5 256gb Storage.

But I am going to be in America on they day they release these and would be able to pre order one through the Best buy website for local pick up. I was wondering does anyone know if Google's Warranty is worldwide are is it tied to the country of purchase? I would be saving about £200 buying it in America.

Permabanned
OP
DigitTimes says: "Google reportedly places orders for detachable Pixelbook"

High-end tablet coming?

Further update: here is link to DigiTimes article:

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20171011PD204.html

Of note, Google is apparently also considering placing orders for mid-range and entry price level Pixelbooks but no orders received yet by Taiwanese manufacturers.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom