Moving my car from Portugal.

Soldato
I wouldn't be too worried about being caught by Police, but I'd be very, very worried about potentially running up the back of old mate in his Flying Spur by accident. What then?

They'll pay for the damage you caused as you're fully insured regardless of tax and MOT, only caveat is your insurance will only pay the value of a non-MOT'd example of your car, hardly a worry with a car like this.

Associate
Meant more is there caveats in the insurance cover that they'll try to wiggle out of.

Hey, La Turbie, i'll be in Frejus next week...

Soldato
Meant more is there caveats in the insurance cover that they'll try to wiggle out of.

Hey, La Turbie, i'll be in Frejus next week...

It's something that's worth reading the small print for, especially from the cheaper companies, but any decent insurance company should be fine.

Frejus is really nice - if you get the chance you could do a nice little tour up to Lorgues and then back via St Tropez with dinner at the Château de la Messardière - did similar a couple of weeks back and it was fantastic: some beautiful roads and scenery.

Associate
Was about to mention this too. While you can drive on the road without a valid MOT on the way to an MOT test station, it needs to be within a reasonable distance. I.e. if you're booking one 100 miles away just because it's closer to home, if you get stopped they're likely to be a bit funny about it. If it's booked in the same town - something like a 10-15 mile radius, then i can't see any questions being raised.

There is no distance limit in the law, has recently been tested court. The guy in the case made a detour for fags, this was deemed acceptable. It is quite a common thing to book an mot close to home to move a car. You can still be booked for the car not being roadworthy though. So long as it looks legal to a road side inspection by plod you should be ok. I have heard of someone being booked by a copper who didn't know the law, had his car towed and all that hassle, not charges as was legasl, just a lot a faff because a prat of an officer.

Back
Top Bottom