4k tv recommendation

Associate
Hi,

Been looking through some posts now on 4k tv recommendations, but felt the need to get some advice. I have a Baird J032LEDB2 32 LCD TV and looking to replace it. My budget is around £2000 and although I play games, I would more likely just watch movies if purchasing a new TV.

Can anyone recommend me a good 4k TV for movies? Willing to buy a blu ray player. Plus my room is fairly dark most times.

Thanks

Caporegime
B7 or C7 are within £2000 now and without doubt the best sets to go for if you want to spend towards the top end of your budget.

If you want to save a grand and go for LED then Sony XE90, still above what I'd pay for LED tech now though, you've also got the XE93 but it's way too close to OLED pricing and the only upside being it provides a brighter picture than the OLED's for HDR gaming.

Soldato
I'd go for the Sony Bravia KD65XE900, it can be found online sub £1800. Full array backlight, fast pixel response panel so great for gaming, larger screen size for immersive viewing of movies/TV shows. OLED will provide higher contrast due to the true blacks and arguably better overall picture quality but the 2017 LGs are rife with banding and you also have the potential problem of screen burn, personally won't be touching OLED for 2 years at least until they refine the technology further, also 55 inch for a main TV is just too small IMO, ok for a bedroom maybe or a lounge the size of a cupboard!:p

Soldato
I’d go OLED every time. Because it has a bigger impact on content you watch when it isn’t HDR enabled. All the other fancy crap Samsung put in their TVs doesn’t make a significant difference to picture - they’re just like good 1080p panels.

OLEDs biggest benefit, inifinate contrast, works 24/7.

That’s my opinion having worked at JL and spent a fair bit of time with the TVs and demoing them.

Caporegime
Screen burn only seemed to be an issue on the very first set of OLEDs and under very specific circumstances like using it as a PC monitor leaving a static image on for hours or viewing a news channel with a logo always on, I haven't seen any complaints at all from 2016 and 2017 set owners and I frequent avforums a lot where people are as anal as it gets about that sort of stuff.

Banding is a big issue on 65 inch sets but with the 55 inch ones it's much better and with the likes of Curry's you can always exchange within 30 days with little to no hassle if you get one with banding that's viewable under normal conditions, most of the banding complaints are the OCD types who run 5% grey slides everyday and can't get over an issue that tends not to be there under normal viewing.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Wow, thanks for the info guys, you know your stuff. I guess its really looking like the OLED. My old TV served me well, but I can't hold out on good quality experience any more.

Soldato
B7 has a screen saver. I have one. Compared it to a qled and I prefer the LG.

Plug a hard drive into the tv and it plays everything.

Large good quality MKV files are stunning.

Permabanned
Hi,

Been looking through some posts now on 4k tv recommendations, but felt the need to get some advice. I have a Baird J032LEDB2 32 LCD TV and looking to replace it. My budget is around £2000 and although I play games, I would more likely just watch movies if purchasing a new TV.

Can anyone recommend me a good 4k TV for movies? Willing to buy a blu ray player. Plus my room is fairly dark most times.

Thanks

Hi!

The best are Panasonic's. Look at:

Panasonic's 2017 TV Lineup
4K Models
Panasonic EZ1002
Panasonic EZ952
Panasonic DX902
Panasonic EX750
Panasonic EX730
Panasonic EX700
Panasonic EX600

I guess with your budget, you might be able to afford to upper series.

Associate
OP
Hi!

The best are Panasonic's. Look at:

Panasonic's 2017 TV Lineup
4K Models
Panasonic EZ1002
Panasonic EZ952
Panasonic DX902
Panasonic EX750
Panasonic EX730
Panasonic EX700
Panasonic EX600

I guess with your budget, you might be able to afford to upper series.

These models look interesting, I ll have a look. Thanks for the info

Back
Top Bottom