Multirotor, multicopter and quadcopter discussion - The Drone thread

Soldato
Defo rtf unless you want to use an SLR or something.

Can pick up phantom 3's pretty cheap now.....depends what you want reallllllllly, Yeh you could build a quad and whack a gopro on it but it won't be a stabilised image and you want be able to control what youre pointing at etc

I do have a D3300 I could use but don't think I would put it up 100m off the ground on something I built for the first time! :p
P3 Advanced is still £400+ used albeit with extras, whereas the P3 normal and the other two models are around £300 new.
I would definitely spend a bit more on the gimbal if I was to attached a GoPro to stabalise the image.

Plus, I've always been a strong believer in self builds rather than buying RTG(especially for computers :p)

Associate
These things are quite addictive! I escalated quite quickly from a little Eachine E10C to a Syma X5C-1 and now this (self build):

Been trying to practice LoS acro but weather/no time is making it difficult! I have the FPV gear ready to be installed this weekend and commander goggles on the way - hopefully it'll make flying a lot easier. Also need to learn how to tweak rates and tuning - any tips?
Incredibly fun to fly! I love hammering the throttle for huge punch outs into the clouds :D

Associate
Building from scratch? What size?

Unrelated but I've just ordered this. I can only assume they've made this for people to attach a camera....thats what I'll be doing anyway :D Was ready to give up on FPV when the E010 broke down but since I've got the goggles now...
https://www.amazon.co.uk/EACHINE-Quadcopter-Coreless-Headless-Control/dp/B0736QXNSY

Bigger motors and battery so should cope better and fly for longer

I've build a load of rc planes and some RC helis and love doing the building, it's a 5inch one build from bits from banggood, when they arrive!
I took a build list from one of the many FPV youtube channels and swapped a few bits out for others.

Still got to get the fpv bits, but I may as well go for the runcam swift 2 as it seems well regarded.

Simon

Associate
Any chance of a quick review of the goggles?
4ws55.jpg
They're good!

Just finished wiring up the Runcam eagle 2 and vtx so I could try the goggles - Comfortable, clear screen (slightly blurry at the edges on 16:9 mode) easy to use. Very happy with them so far, would recommend A++++

I think i've messed up somewhere, however, as the TX dies after a couple of minutes while everything else carries on OK :confused:

Last edited:
Caporegime
F4 chip with Betaflight 3.2.1

Ah okay, tbh stock pids are usually pretty sound on that. However there is a PID tab off the top of my head and you can change the three main settings there, best if you look up a YouTube vid really, I'm still trying to get the hang of it properly.... I mean it's easy to change and tweak it but getting it down so it's amazing is another thing...

Mind you the above doesn't hell if I'm still using my stock escs from banggood.com haha

Associate
Transmitter? The vtx transmitter? I'm hoping you have the antenna on in that case.
Sorry I meant RX, it just conks out a minute or so after plugging in the battery. Camera and FC stay on but RX loses power and Taranis loses telemetry. Unplugging the cam and vtx fixes it so I've ballsed up the power I guess.

Currently running the VTx from vbat (3S battery) and the cam from the v5 out of VTx. I'll try running both from 5v on the FC.

Associate
Runcam eagle 2 so it should take up to 36v. The VTx is a cheap chinese one (GTX226 5.8G) so maybe it's drawing too much power or something? It does get very warm. It's a relatively cheap build so I'm not suprised there are random issues cropping up...probably shouldn't have scrimped on the FC and vtx :rolleyes:

GeX

GeX

Soldato
Finally had some time to do some more

iHlnK2cl.jpg

Then all in together (just lacking the FPV gear for now)

sNjTbd4l.jpg

quite pleased with how neat the wiring is. I'll move the rx to below the PDB I think.

lnaC9Cel.jpg

Soldato
wil there be front/rear lights on that?

got the E011 delivered today...thought it was broken as the red light is now at the front.....was ready to send it back! But adter looking at a few YT vids all the E011's are like that.

Kinda assumed the 'standard' was red for the rear.. blue to the front, which made sense (car+truck lights/reflectors are red to the rear) but it looks like it can be anything!

You'll need to be careful as buying any old transmitter won't work.... Looking online a Taranis x9d might work, you'll need to do some Googling

yeah have found a few things but no 'best solution' answer...don't think there is one! :) the standard controller for the E011 is a bit chunkier than the E010...

Last edited:

GeX

GeX

Soldato
The FC can control an LED strip but it's not something I've looked at fitting. Green props for the front, black for the rear will do; don't plan to fly LOS much.

Back
Top Bottom