Siliconslave's how to make espresso thread

Man of Honour
I ran out of decent coffee last week and had to buy some emergency Illy beans from my local Tesco (literally the only beans they stock). £6.50 for 250g of rank coffee. The only saving grace is that the metal tin they came in will be handy for storing random stuff in future.

Associate
I ran out of decent coffee last week and had to buy some emergency Illy beans from my local Tesco (literally the only beans they stock). £6.50 for 250g of rank coffee. The only saving grace is that the metal tin they came in will be handy for storing random stuff in future.

Sainburys stock Modern Standard beans, I get them if I run out before my next Pact delivery.

You have to have a rummage through the bags as you can find some that were roasted around a month ago, but then find others that were roasted over 6 months ago.

Caporegime
I got back from being trapped in Butlin's for five days today. I took my aeropress so I had something nice for morning and evening, but my need for a decent espresso was curtailed until my return. Holy heaven in a (small) cup, batman.

There was, allegedly, a Costa Coffee (one of the few chains that I consider serviceable) in the resort but it wasn't. It just.. wasn't.

Soldato
Probably need to look in the car park as HasBean, but I think they are taking a cut too
Central America: Coffee Export Prices Drop 33%
In the last five years, the average price of coffee exported by countries in the region fell by 33%, going from $226 to $151.
Friday, August 25, 2017

Yes - Illy make collectible cups - but not sure where you have to go to get their good coffee -
still think the packet/tinned beans, with a one year shelf life, are optimistic, maybe they don't degrade much though, from initial state.

Soldato
For anyone that is interested the Sage Oracle machine has a hefty £400 off it at the moment putting it at £1195 from John Lewis. I know this machine and Sage in general are marmite but ignoring what you think this is a hefty discount for those that are interested :)

(and yes I couldn't pass up the opportunity to buy it :p )

Caporegime
Oof. That's some discount. Reckon there is a new model imminent?

In other news, some sycophancy hasbean anecdote: Ordered at 12:23 (on Thurs) - at 13:00 order is "processed" and 13:30 "shipped." A shame I paid for sat del because DPD held it until today :p

Permabanned
Permabanned
Sainburys stock Modern Standard beans, I get them if I run out before my next Pact delivery.

You have to have a rummage through the bags as you can find some that were roasted around a month ago, but then find others that were roasted over 6 months ago.

Is pact any good? What have you tried?

Caporegime
Anyone managed to find any good decafs?

I've tried RAVEs, and it's OK. Its perfectly drinkable, but just wondering if theres anything better?

Trying to sort some sleep issues out, so really need to knock coffee on the head :(

Soldato
Associate
Question for the coffee experts, or some advice please?

I’ve got a eureka mignon and a sage duo temp pro. Really pleased with them both. Will upgrade machine in time but in no rush.

Found some espresso beans I love and got it right on the money. I bought a bag of something different (still espresso) as my supply of the one I love was going to run out before I could replenish.

The coffee puck is much drier than my normal beans, is that indicative of grinding too fine or tamping too hard? Or both? My normal beans end up with the puck being not dry but not really that wet. Coffee with this new bean is a bit wishy washy, almost sour in taste, modern standard momentum espresso btw.

I’ve left the grind setting on the eureka right where it was getting great results with the bean I like the best.

Thx ☕

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom