Is my TV Dying?

Soldato
Hi All,

I have an ancient 40 inch Bravia KDL-v3000 (i think that's the model number). I've had it since about 2007. Recently it has developed an occasional band of dark grey and green colours that spread from the bottom left across the screen in what seems like bands that grow and shrink.

When the TV is properly warmed up it seems to do this less frequently but I've noticed then that the colours of people's skin tones looks like they have red cheeks!!

So, what's up with my screen??

If it's time to take it to the tip, what can I get that's worth having for less than £600 notes? 50 inch or less. I don't want anything too big.

I have no 4K stuff, but I might have in the future and you can already tell I don't swap TV's often lol!!

Ta

Tino

Last edited:
Soldato
if they are vertical bands ||| of screen corruption maybe T-con circuit board, there are probably utube videos showing symptoms.
only economic if you feel comptetent to do it yourself though - first one (similarly old philips bedroom tv) took maybe 2hours.(2nd hand board ~£10 ebay)

but probably need to replace - Panasonic outlet have had 50"dx750's at ~£500

Soldato
OP
I don't think they are vertical, more like Chunks of screen that go dark grey and green and then spread from bottom left upwards and across the screen. The right hand side of the panel seems unaffected as the "patches" never go beyond about 2/3rds.

Soldato
subsequently thought the sony has a ccfl backlight (like my philips) so symptoms maybe the invertor, for the high volatge ccfl's,
once again can get them for ~£10 off of ebay.
...(not click bait) but some of the older tv's still hold there own with respect to image quality, a bit of IPS backlight bleed or poorer contrast does not detract from good colours.

Associate
had similar with an lg with va panel.
Patches on panel not showing correct colour and dotted lines down the screen
after researching the issue no definitive answer and video/ screenshots etc showing same symptoms could be found
was narrowed down to
cable connectors to main/tcon board need reseating
possibly faulty tcon board (though on my lg it seemed to be incorporated into the main board)
faulty physical connection to the panel itself <- I decided this was the most likely cause, regular thermal cycling causing connection degradation, not really fixable yourself due to the way panels are constructed, and not worth sending off to a panel repairer to get fixed

I just bought another cheap VA based LG (still going strong after 4+ yrs) as CBA to try and source parts/time/cost, with no guaranteed outcome of fixing the problem.

Back
Top Bottom