Soundbars

Soldato
Waht are people using for soundbars? My room doesn't aid itself to a surround setup so looking at getting one that mimics the surround effect.

Contenders are the Yamaha YSP-1600, the Yamaha YAS-203 (but can't find that in stock) or the Q Acoustics Media 4 (although not a fan of the design).

Any ideas please guys? I don't need spades of bass due to the little un so just good quality sound!

Edit: trying to avoid a soundbar with a seperate sub woofer too..

Last edited:
Associate
I got the Q M4. I meaured the unit and wall mounted the TV so that the TV and Bar finish at the same level (this gives you way more choice on bracket options, ive now got one that moves everywhere).
The M4 is able to accept a seperate sub and i was keen on doing this - in the end i havn't bothered as it still easily fills my 12x12 living room. The downside of the M4 is the remote control, you will need to factor in a one 4 all or harmony, the looks actually blend in once wall mounted. The plus side is the fact that this is the first ever gadget i have bought and literally plug it in and go and its on its best setting!
Maybe worth looking at the smaller M3? as it has HDMI.

Forgot to say the Q is stereo only, but once in you wont regret it.

Soldato
I had the Yamaha YSP-1600 for about two weeks, it was very well-built but I found it could be rather hit-or-miss. Sometimes it sounded excellent with room-filling sound and a fairly convincing surround sound effect, other times it felt very flat with too much echo regardless of which sound mode I used. The lack of an LCD display on the front got frustrating too, all you have is a row of 9 or so green LEDs with various labels which you can't read unless you're face-to-face with it. I returned mine because it wasn't playing nicely with my TV; I kept getting audio dropouts when watching Netflix or Amazon Video. Yamaha reckon it's a Samsung issue but it doesn't do it with my Onkyo receiver.

I'm now looking at possibly the Samsung HW-MS650 or Sony HT-RT5.

Back
Top Bottom