Audi owners in here!

Soldato
Seems there is a big case of people not liking the RS3 because it’s too expensive for them. Despite the fact that an S3 and Focus RS are not in the same league.

The Focus is cheaper because it’s slower, has a horribly cheap interior, a ford badge and has a gimmicky drift function that cannot even do power oversteer.

Soldato
Also, the whole "not good value against an S3", while that may look true initially, they depreciate at around the same rate / a little less, so actually the total cost of ownership is similar. Unless your buying new and keeping until scrap. Almost the same as every other Audi RS model. When I went to price them up on a PCP the monthly cost was less than a Golf R estate, and about the same as the S3. Granted, this was about the time of the facelift, and couldn't compare against the lease deals of the time. But like for like on the PCP they were they same / cheaper. Which makes them great value, to me.

Soldato
Lol

I'm sorry.... Are you really suggesting cars like the RS3 are driven by people who don't like "driving"!

You're nuts!

No not nuts, just picking up on the comments above, plus we have an A3 (wife’s) in the house hold. It would appear the key requirements of the stereo typical performance Audi driver is quick in a straight line and larger than average amount of soft touch plastics to stroke with addition chromed plastic to stare at. Oh and the snobbery of the badge to wear.

When comments suggest details like feedback, feel and understeer are not important, then clearly they aren’t the comments of a driver.
Just someone who needs to compensate for having a small appendage and needs something to brag about. Oh it will do 0-62 in silly quick time.

Personally, saving 20K and having loads of feed back, dynamic ability and character is superior combination then 0.4-0.6 sec quicker to 62 and bling I won’t see because I’m looking out the windscreen. Assuming you are a driver and petrol head that is.
BTW the FRS does do power over steer, with a little remapping is as quick as the RS3, with a manual gearbox as well. Then with change to buy a second car compared to the RS3 price.

Soldato
No not nuts, just picking up on the comments above, plus we have an A3 (wife’s) in the house hold. It would appear the key requirements of the stereo typical performance Audi driver is quick in a straight line and larger than average amount of soft touch plastics to stroke with addition chromed plastic to stare at. Oh and the snobbery of the badge to wear.

When comments suggest details like feedback, feel and understeer are not important, then clearly they aren’t the comments of a driver.
Just someone who needs to compensate for having a small appendage and needs something to brag about. Oh it will do 0-62 in silly quick time.

Personally, saving 20K and having loads of feed back, dynamic ability and character is superior combination then 0.4-0.6 sec quicker to 62 and bling I won’t see because I’m looking out the windscreen. Assuming you are a driver and petrol head that is.
BTW the FRS does do power over steer, with a little remapping is as quick as the RS3, with a manual gearbox as well. Then with change to buy a second car compared to the RS3 price.

It depends what you are looking for in a car you may prefer a car you can move around on the throttle and slide around etc luckily we have M3s/MK3 FRS/M140s for this. Some will want a fast car that doesn't give them the fear of going sideways into a field on a wet road this is where the Audi S/RS models come in a point and shot car with huge real world cross country pace with a well built interior. This doesn't mean they don't enjoy driving they just want a fast car that goes where they point it and if it starts to go wrong they can just ease off the throttle.

Luckily we have a good selection of hot hatches for people to buy the ones they like.

Soldato
Looking for some sensible advice...

Recently noticed a fair few Audi TT mk1s around where I live, and I love the way they look. I think they've aged really well. Would it be mad to get one now? I'd be looking at spending less than £3k for a 225 coupe model.

Currently have a Mazda 6 2.5 SL but wanting something a bit different to that. It'd be a perfect car if I spent my commute on the motorway but I don't so it's a bit bleh and not all that fast.

Am I better off spending more on an early mk2? Not sure I like how they look as much but I read that they're better to drive and obviously much more modern in terms of kit and interior.

Been looking at this one:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201707257713975

But the dealer says it's had 8 owners. MoT history isn't too bad, and visually looks quite tidy. Asked him how long the last owner had it.

Last edited:
Soldato

You cannot possibly be talking about the focus if you are claiming those attributes!

It doesn’t do power oversteer in any sort of comparison to a rwd car. It’s a complete and utter gimmick.

Also, a manual gearbox hasn’t been a positive for years, hence why almost all high performance cars are shifting away from it.

If you wanted a good dynamically capable car for fun, you’d get a GT86.

If you’ve seen any group tests, the focus RS tends to come quite low in the pickings. At that price point the golf R the more attractive proposition.

Soldato
You cannot possibly be talking about the focus if you are claiming those attributes!

It doesn’t do power oversteer in any sort of comparison to a rwd car. It’s a complete and utter gimmick.

Also, a manual gearbox hasn’t been a positive for years, hence why almost all high performance cars are shifting away from it.

If you wanted a good dynamically capable car for fun, you’d get a GT86.

If you’ve seen any group tests, the focus RS tends to come quite low in the pickings. At that price point the golf R the more attractive proposition.

You really talk complete rot and have no idea. The RS normaly has been at the top for driver enjoyment in the reviews I've seen, I must have read most!!!
DSG is quicker for sure, manual is more driver involvement, which is the point of performance orientated car that's ment to be about driving. We had a Ibiza Cupra, DSG annoyed the hell out of me even if it was impressive at TLGP's.
The RS is part time 4WD so like any it won't be sames as RWD, but it's closer than any other and works brilliantly, try keeping up with one on a wet B road. For reference we own an A3 (4WD), Z4 and the RS, so we have most options and bases covered.

A drivers car should be about the journey, not the time taken to get from A to B, best example is an MX5, slow but high on fun. The RS3 is the complete opposite. That is becoming the problem, to get any enjoyment from the likes of RS3 or M cars you need to get near its limits which just isn't possible on the public highway. Where as the FRS has more involvement and feed back and alive at lower speeds, i.e. More enjoyment and involvement.

Soldato
Just joined the S3 club, and have had an enjoyable read over the last few pages of RS3 banter.....

Me, I have come to the S3 from a CLS 350, so quite a change in car - Mercedes was fab from new (Dec '14) to sale (week ago!), but I fancied a change of pace. So far, and this is around 250 miles/3 days in to ownership, very happy! My car is a MY18 Black Edition S-Tronic, with Tech pack and few bits and bobs - was all set to factory order precise spec, but dealer came with a great offer out of the blue on a car they had, which I decided to go with and so that is me for the next 2-3yrs :)

Hope you lot in here are so much better than that lot over in the Mercedes thread (to badly paraphrase a Brucie classic audience reference) :p

Soldato
Just joined the S3 club, and have had an enjoyable read over the last few pages of RS3 banter.....

Me, I have come to the S3 from a CLS 350, so quite a change in car - Mercedes was fab from new (Dec '14) to sale (week ago!), but I fancied a change of pace. So far, and this is around 250 miles/3 days in to ownership, very happy! My car is a MY18 Black Edition S-Tronic, with Tech pack and few bits and bobs - was all set to factory order precise spec, but dealer came with a great offer out of the blue on a car they had, which I decided to go with and so that is me for the next 2-3yrs :)

Congrats, let's have some pics!

Hope you lot in here are so much better than that lot over in the Mercedes thread (to badly paraphrase a Brucie classic audience reference) :p

I've found that Audi owners/fans on various forums/threads seem to be a more amiable bunch that some other brands. The flipside is that the fans of said other brands often have nothing better to do that hang around Audi forums/threads trolling ;)

Soldato
was all set to factory order precise spec, but dealer came with a great offer out of the blue on a car they had, which I decided to go with and so that is me for the next 2-3yrs :)
can you share the cost / confirm delivery mileage? I'm in the market for one and want a ball park on a doable good deal.

Soldato
can you share the cost / confirm delivery mileage? I'm in the market for one and want a ball park on a doable good deal.
DtD were giving about £5.8k discount against list on the spec I was heading for.......dealer I used in the end, localish, offered me a slightly different spec (but with the essential options I required) for £6.4k off list - nominally, this was to mitigate that it was over VED threshold blah blah blah.
So, long story short, just under £34k after discounts etc., and with something like 20 miles on it - list was £40,345.....I will have 2yrs of +£310 tax, which I didn't want, but the deal made it all stack up :)

Soldato
You really talk complete rot and have no idea. The RS normaly has been at the top for driver enjoyment in the reviews I've seen, I must have read most!!!
DSG is quicker for sure, manual is more driver involvement, which is the point of performance orientated car that's ment to be about driving. We had a Ibiza Cupra, DSG annoyed the hell out of me even if it was impressive at TLGP's.
The RS is part time 4WD so like any it won't be sames as RWD, but it's closer than any other and works brilliantly, try keeping up with one on a wet B road. For reference we own an A3 (4WD), Z4 and the RS, so we have most options and bases covered.

A drivers car should be about the journey, not the time taken to get from A to B, best example is an MX5, slow but high on fun. The RS3 is the complete opposite. That is becoming the problem, to get any enjoyment from the likes of RS3 or M cars you need to get near its limits which just isn't possible on the public highway. Where as the FRS has more involvement and feed back and alive at lower speeds, i.e. More enjoyment and involvement.

Nope, I’ve also read plenty on the subject.

The FRS gets consistently pulled up for being slower than expected (its slower than a golf r!)

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/ho...aces-10-focus-rs-vs-vw-golf-r-vs-merc-a45-amg

and for having a pointless drift function that cannot really do power oversteer so isn’t comparable to a rwd car.

Handling wise, per autocar:

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/...-mercedes-amg-a45-vs-ford-focus-rs-group-test

“ Nudging into a slide gently on a trailing throttle and feeling more balanced and predictable as you feed power back in, the A45 doesn’t quite drift under power like the Focus can, but its superior balance of grip means that it simply doesn’t need to.”

The A45 is also quicker on any B road, has a more adaptable suspension and a better seating / pedal position than the “lofty” RS.

Per Clarkson:

“Even in Normal mode there’s a choppy vertical bouncing motion that is a bit annoying. You also get seats that are mounted on the car rather than in it — they’re far too high”

It also has a more characterful exhaust note with the AMG performance exhaust, further contributing to your “drivers car” needs.

The manual “driver involvement” statement is nonsense nowadays. A paddle shift auto is just as engaging when pounding around a tight country road.

Your argument seems to be that because the focus is poorer handling, has less grip, a worse engine / exhaust noise, a bad seating position, is slower, has a far less premium interior and has an antiquated gearbox it’s better than the German alternatives...

Soldato
Really !!! after two weeks you come back with more BS and out of context quotes and apples v pears comparisons. Out of respect to the other Audi owners here I'll not answer further, feel free to post in one of the FRS threads or start a new one if you have an axe to grind.

Soldato
To be fair, I wouldn't want a manual RS either these days. Too much power and the DSG can handle it better...there are no cons with it.

It wouldn't surprise me if in the real world that the DSG (in a TTS for example) is seconds quicker to 100 than a manual car.

Since going DSG nearly two years ago I am pretty sure I will never go back to manual for a car I use daily.

Back
Top Bottom