Oxford student who stabbed boyfriend is spared jail

Soldato
100% agree. Judge is also speculating that she will become something in the future in terms of a doctor or something.
Person with drug problems in a career where they would have open access to all sorts of pharmaceuticals.

Yeah, that could end well... :eek:

Associate
nah hed have loads of defensive wounds up and down his arms in that case.

not a poke hole in his leg.

if somone is trying to stab you they dont fail and put a 1cm hole in your leg then stop they end up hitting your arms lots and lots in a few seconds as they swing/flail wildly.

Have you been stabbed then and therefore every attack must be the same with similar sort of injuries?
For your knowledge, I have been attacked with a knife and came out completely unscathed, its possible if your not off your head on coke or booze.
drunks and coked up idiots are the easiest to control.

Caporegime
OP
Well, If you are going to even remotely consider the possibility of "Reformation" and "Rehabilitation" as part of the penal system. Then you have to allow for the possibility (And provide incentives and encouragement for) the possibility that an addict might clean up. And also allow for the fact that somebody with otherwise good career prospects will undoubtedly find it far easier to make the necessary changes in their lives to become useful and productive if those career prospects are retained rather than actively destroyed.

I'm not sure why allowing for the possibility that an addict might clean up means the fact they are/were an addict can be a mitigating circumstance when they commit a crime.

Caporegime
Have you been stabbed then and therefore every attack must be the same with similar sort of injuries?
For your knowledge, I have been attacked with a knife and came out completely unscathed, its possible if your not off your head on coke or booze.
drunks and coked up idiots are the easiest to control.

I have yeah and when it's somone you know and are close to its very different than some random drunk or drugged idiot.

Soldato
Soldato
Very possible.

As posted previously there are plenty of occasions where males get a suspended sentence. Especially for a first offence and the (relative) lack of severity.

For those saying it's a knife offense and ignoring the injuries is like saying someone who steals a couple hundred quid out of a till should be treated the same as someone who steals millions!

Caporegime
Very possible.

As posted previously there are plenty of occasions where males get a suspended sentence. Especially for a first offence and the (relative) lack of severity.

For those saying it's a knife offense and ignoring the injuries is like saying someone who steals a couple hundred quid out of a till should be treated the same as someone who steals millions!

i dunno stabbing somone in the leg could easilybe fatal.

maybe it would be more comparable to someone wh otried to steal millions but only got a couple of hundred quid.

the sentence longer than the actual crime would suggest but not as long as the true intent/possible out comes would be as a comprimise

Caporegime
OP
Do you genuinely believe that if roles were reversed between her and her partner that the sentence would be the same?

I'd wager it is far less likely, as much as secret barristers are no doubt great at presenting whatever viewpoint they want about the legal system in a very eloquent and well presented manner on their blogs there certainly seem to be biases in sentencing in this country and bias relating to gender is quite a big one. I suspect the effect of this is being underestimated by people. She's got gender, race, class, age and looks all going in her favour together. Would be interesting to know what university the judge went to too.

It does appear there are men out there who've had a suspended sentence after a knife incident too - from a personal perspective I think any attack with a knife like this ought to be a custodial sentence and I don't agree that having previously having had a drugs problem ought to be a mitigating circumstance. Suspended sentences have always thrown me as being a bit odd, essentially she gets away with no actual direct punishment from the judicial system - at least some community service would serve as some form of punishment. The only punishment she's potentially got now is indirect and relates to her having a criminal record, the publicity from the case and how that may impact on her chosen career.

Man of Honour
Lol, how could you possibly know that? Speculation your honor.

If you go back and read my post, you'll notice that I very explicitly did not claim it was certain fact. So why did you reply as if I had? Also, why didn't you make the same reply to the other speculation that I was replying to?

nah hed have loads of defensive wounds up and down his arms in that case.

not a poke hole in his leg.

if somone is trying to stab you they dont fail and put a 1cm hole in your leg then stop they end up hitting your arms lots and lots in a few seconds as they swing/flail wildly.

This wasn't a straightforward determined murder attempt, which would often involve the victim being stabbed several times before they even knew they were being stabbed. There are several examples in just one quote from Reddit in one post in this thread of situations in which the attacker stabbed or cut the victim once with no indication that the attacker was "stabbing the air" (as you put it) and accidentally stabbed the victim.

Also, when the attacker is very drunk and the victim knows they're coming at them with a knife they have much more of a chance to evade them.

EDIT: The cut to his leg required 3 stitches and was also reported as being 3cm long. The two cuts on his hands were each approximately 1cm long, so that's probably where the confusion occured.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Caporegime
OP
Probably, as it would seem to be a complete waste of time if it was the verdict in this case the person complaining was concerned about:

The watchdog does not review sentencing but is responsible for ensuring proper conduct

The investigations, which can take months, cover areas such as a just using racist, sexist or offensive language, falling asleep in court, failing to declare a potential conflict of interest or misusing judicial status for personal gain or advantage.

no indication that the judge used racist or sexist language or had a personal conflict of interest etc..etc..

Back
Top Bottom