SUSE networking question - Still not working 100%

Commissario
SUSE networking question

OK, I've got SCO Linux installed and running and indeed as it's based on UnitedLinux it does seem very SUSE like.

I can ping that PC on the LAN but what I can't do, and what I need to do is to be able to access the internet from that box via my ISDN router.

During installation I gave it a static IP and a gateway. I can ping the gateway from that box but can't access the internet at all as I'd expect to be able to.

Can anyone give me a nudge in the right direction?

Thanks.

K.

Commissario
OP
Hmm, this has gone a bit pear-shaped.

Yesterday it was working OK because I was able to browse the internet and download the SETI client with no problem. After I'd got all the SETI stuff installed and a startup script configured I rebooted to ensure that it started correctly and when I tried to access the internet today I'm getting what appears to be the same problem.

My /etc/resolv.conf file reads

Code:
nameserver 192.168.0.211
domain local
I can ping other PC's on the LAN but if I try a ping to the outside world whether I use name or IP I get:

connect: Network is unreachable

I'm not running a full domain, my network is basically a workgroup. I can telnet to the IP of the linux box and log in with no problems at all.

Not sure what else I should be looking at...

K.

Permabanned
Right, solution to the problem coming up:

/sbin/route add -net default gw $GTWAY netmask 0.0.0.0 metric 1

Replace $GTWAY with your default gateway.

And there you have a working route, what seems to have happened is that the gateway isnt set up correctly :)

Shak

Associate
looks as if you not got a default gateway configured, carn`t remeber how to do it from the command line now, carn`t find me note's sorry. Try something like

route default gw ip eth0

may be eth0 then ip

ip=ip of gate way machine/router

deano

edit shak beat me to it...lol

Commissario
OP
Bingo - That has worked perfectly, thanks Mr. Shak sah.

/me goes off to look up the route command to see what I've done and why!

Will that be saved now, I assume I'll not have to do it again?

K.

Back
Top Bottom