Upcoming Firefox 57 ("Quantum") is twice as fast as Firefox 52

Soldato
do we need more speed to run the increasing advertising payload ?
Hopefully they do not become more stringent about the add-ons they permit/sign, so that the ad-killers can still be used ( how is FF funded?)

I would be interested to know how they are improving UI functionality for the predominate phone (?) usage environment, with its reduced real estate;
for this platform, reduced memory consumption and speedup, if it also translates into lower power/longer battery life, can be good.

Associate
Currently using the Beta release and it is indeed very quick.

The UI on the other hand is not the best imo ... is there any add on that will let you remove items from the toolbar and change the tabs? ... like classic theme restorer.

Soldato
Right click the toolbars>Customise. Anything you don't want can be dragged off. For some reason, I had these stupid spacers enabled so I had to remove those.

Associate
Right click the toolbars>Customise. Anything you don't want can be dragged off. For some reason, I had these stupid spacers enabled so I had to remove those.

have tried that mate, I'm wanting to remove the fwd/bck buttons, save to pockets ect.

Associate
do we need more speed to run the increasing advertising payload ?
Hopefully they do not become more stringent about the add-ons they permit/sign, so that the ad-killers can still be used ( how is FF funded?)

I would be interested to know how they are improving UI functionality for the predominate phone (?) usage environment, with its reduced real estate;
for this platform, reduced memory consumption and speedup, if it also translates into lower power/longer battery life, can be good.

Vague memories of google funding FF for a million or billion in 2011 or thereabouts, because they put the google search thing as default. That way, google gets their search funding too.
No idea if still the same though.

Soldato
have tried that mate, I'm wanting to remove the fwd/bck buttons, save to pockets ect.

Try asking here: https://www.reddit.com/r/FirefoxCSS/

Someone might be able to come up with a css style sheet that can hide all the buttons you don't want. CSS is working very well so far, even has an option to move tabs to the bottom that still prefers the old classical style.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
RAM benefits have been on a few versions for a while now. I was on 55 before and noticed it only uses some 300MB RAM vs what previous versions used to which was closer to 1-1.5GB.

I've ditched all themes (Classic Theme Restorer) and most of the old extensions I used to have in favour of web extension versions and the built in dark theme. Looks clean, is minimal, and no nonsense.

Firefox.JPG

Amusing you should say that, after looking at several images and reading reddit it does have the look of the chrome browser now.
saw this too

so I am thinking I need to archive add-ons from the older ff/waterfox I currently use, in case they have a big clear-out

Legacy extensions won't work come v57, so you won't be able to manually add them back if you pull them off an older version first. The only solution is to pressure the legacy extension devs to update to web extensions.

Soldato
I badly worded that -
with the draconian add-on signing with the newer ff versions, I suspect they may soon clear-out/delete these older add-ons, especially since they will no longer be compatible with >=57
so if I need to re-install pre-57 firefoxes, I will need to archive the compatible add-ons.

The older FF's, providing you have demand loading of tabs is already economic on memory, and the diet I recently gave chrome, 'The great Discarder' add-on, works well.

36670354644_15259410f3_o_d.jpg

there are a bout 40loaded tabs in Firefox, 20 in waterfox and 10 in chrome - but I am probably not typical.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
ReHost Image extension works great with IMGur and I've been using it ages, but the dev says he doesn't have time to update to web extensions in GitHub, so unless someone else takes over the role, that's dead in the water :/

Soldato
I've ditched all themes (Classic Theme Restorer) and most of the old extensions I used to have in favour of web extension versions and the built in dark theme. Looks clean, is minimal, and no nonsense.

You've still got old skool favicons there? Since I upgraded to 57, mine is showing the "tiles" you'd see in mobile browser bookmarks/history.

QIkdAtn.png

Soldato
ReHost Image extension works great with IMGur and I've been using it ages, but the dev says he doesn't have time to update to web extensions in GitHub, so unless someone else takes over the role, that's dead in the water :/
Yeah that was the one I was using, but I noticed a couple of weeks ago I was sometimes getting errors when trying to rehost an image. I tried to import a few from the Chrome extension store but they don't work very well either :p.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Rehost image loses its sync every now and then with your imgur account, you just have to go into its settings and generate a new access key for imgur.

Back
Top Bottom