Quiet PSU ~500W

Soldato
Hi there,

I've had my Corsair HX 520W PSU for about 9 years and the fan has just started to make an annoying scraping sound. So I think it's time to replace it. I might replace the fan on this unit and relegate it to second-system duty - but realistically it's probably about time for a replacement unit.

My system is quite basic:
  • Core i5 4670k slightly overclocked
  • Radeon R9 280
  • 8Gb RAM
  • A couple of SSDs
So nothing too extreme. My main requirements are:
  • Extremely quiet - with a fan that switches off under low load (if such a thing exists)
  • Around 500W
  • Modular
  • Extremely reliable. I'd like it to last a decade or more, like my current Corsair one.

Can anyone recommend me something?

Cheers

Soldato
These two would be my first choice. Seeing as you have specified a really long life I'd pick the seasonic as it has the 10yr warranty.

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £179.04
(includes shipping: £11.10)

Also worth considering the EVGA G3 550W, Corsair TX550M Gold (if trying to save some money) and Corsair RM550x. I've stuck with Gold rated units as I believe these offer the best performance for the price, platinum demands a steep price premium which I don't think you'll ever get back.

Man of Honour
Solid suggestions there from Disco P. That new Seasonic Focus Plus range has been getting excellent reviews and it's a pleasant change for Seasonic to price them so competitively. Jonnygure reviewed the 550w version here. Apart from the excellent 10 year warranty, another good thing is that they are very compact at only 140mm long. They also have the hybrid fan switch that you are looking for.

Soldato
i have this one and after a week im finding it brilliant, no issues with power and because of an 'ECO' mode the fan doesnt even kick in till a certain temperature which so far i havent reached so its very silent, the only fans i hear are my cpu cooler & case fans lol

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £94.49
(includes shipping: £10.50)

its out of stock, but i would recommend it.

Back
Top Bottom