Carrying hard cash

Soldato
I'd likely very quickly lose track of where I'm at once the first note is broken into, without sitting down and counting all the coins into piles.

Say I take £100 with me, I burn through the notes first and just keep pocketing the change. As I get towards the end of the night, when I start having to pay with change that's when I know I'm running low.

Soldato
I don't mind carrying cash, it can be useful. Most things though are paid for with my card. Contactless transactions are great but due to the limits imposed it's no good for more expensive purchases which is a shame but I understand why those limits are there.

Soldato
Wait till you want 30K's worth of building work done - you'll suddenly appreciate cash a whole lot more. :)

I think there's a bit of a difference between using cash for a specific reason like that vs using it regularly as a day to day method of payment instead of cards/contactless.

I don't think cash will go away altogether but I think that there will eventually be very few scenarios where you will be able to use it.

Soldato
Last time I used cash regularly was as a method of control. As a student I took £50 out a week and that had to last me for the week. Worked quite well for me.

Soldato
Last time I used cash regularly was as a method of control. As a student I took £50 out a week and that had to last me for the week. Worked quite well for me.
I just get drunk and get more cash out. Moving my disposable income to Starling by dripping in a fixed amount each week is the only way I'm going to get everything under control. :)

Cash just burns a hole in my pocket. :(

Soldato
When I’m out and about, I prefer to use cash to pay as it's far easier to keep tabs on how much I’m spending. I rarely pay by card for anything physical purchases. Most card payments are for internet buys.

Soldato
When I’m out and about, I prefer to use cash to pay as it's far easier to keep tabs on how much I’m spending. I rarely pay by card for anything physical purchases. Most card payments are for internet buys.
I was of the same opinion but it's not really true anymore given the app-based banking you can do now. As soon as you pay for something or receive money it pops up on your phone. I'm impressed. :D

Soldato
The cash I hold in my wallet is limited. The cash I have in my bank account can appear to be unlimited if I’m not careful! I suppose it’s more a preference than anything else. I rarely venture anywhere save to get a coffee so cash works fine for me. Plus I like to save the pound coins in a big jar!

Permabanned
I'm one of those strange people who still pays almost everything by cash, I just don't like paying by card most of the time and I always have cash on me.

Associate
Cash for me. I rarely use card and I like to see the actual money leave my hand. Makes me respect it more. I found I spent a lot more if paying by card as I would throw anything into the shopping basket.

Soldato
Given that most on here are not paid in cash and have already indicated that they don't pay for much in cash, we're largely there for large parts of the nation. Like many people, if they track my spending I'm sure they'll fall asleep after a few minutes.
Because 10 pages of GD represent 'large parts of the nation'.

:p

Soldato
I've never had a proper wallet, when I was younger I didn't carry anything other than either my card, loose in my pocket or a tenner in my back pocket. Now I have multiple cards, driving licence, CSCS card and various other work related cards and passes I just use one of those slim leather card wallets, there's never any cash in it though, I hate using it.

Back
Top Bottom