Biker's Cafe Chatroom

Soldato
Interesting little review there. It's been getting glowing reports elsewhere, but you can't beat a 'real world review'.

If I were in your position I think I'd be holding on to see what BMW are doing with the XR and GS. GS is reported to be having an updated engine (variable valve timing) so this would boost the power a fair tad. The all new S1000RR is out next year too so it won't be long until the rest of the S range get completely revamped.

Can’t beat riding the bike

I’ve now rejected the KTM and the Multistrada. I’m still open minded about the GS, and will have another ride in the new year, especially if it is going to have a major overhaul.

The S range update is intriguing, but I’m not really sure that it will be on the road in 2018. Launched yes, but delivered I think 2019 seems more likely. That’ll probably mean the XR will be around 2020 / 2021 before a substantial update, and by then there’ll probably be a new level of Euro regs to apply.

I was just so disappointed by the KTM that is, in theory, a few years ahead in development of current bikes. I’m a sucker to upgrade to the next best thing, but I was so happy to get back on the XR despite the different things I was looking for in a new bike. It might just be a case of keeping it for another two or three years.

Nice to ride another brand and concept though. There’s probably a KTM owner out there celebrating getting rid of his/her XR and loving the 1290.

Associate
After today's ride I'm starting to agree with the sentiment here that bridgestone tyres (or atleast the battlax BT-021 or BT-023, whichever I have currently) are **** in the wet.

Went to accelerate after coming off a roundabout and the rear just spun, then later on a left bend from a roundabout exit had the rear slip out a bit.

Could just have been unlucky with diesel/oil especially with it happening near roundabouts, but with about 2mm tread on the rear I think it's time to replace.

Going to put either PR4 or roadtec 01 on front and rear.

Soldato
After today's ride I'm starting to agree with the sentiment here that bridgestone tyres (or atleast the battlax BT-021 or BT-023, whichever I have currently) are **** in the wet.

Went to accelerate after coming off a roundabout and the rear just spun, then later on a left bend from a roundabout exit had the rear slip out a bit.

Could just have been unlucky with diesel/oil especially with it happening near roundabouts, but with about 2mm tread on the rear I think it's time to replace.

Going to put either PR4 or roadtec 01 on front and rear.

I agree the Bt range sucks . Had them on my Gsxr1000 and Hornet and hated them . But have the new s21 on the Mt10 and quite impressed with them . Done 40ish miles in torrential rain and couple of hundred dry and cant fault them . Although they only seem to last 3k rear 5k front . So will put Pr4's on when there shot

Soldato
One undred and sixty two pounds for a filler cap? A bit of machined alu and rubber? Seriously? Christ, I need to get in to that business. That's about £15 worth of materials and two hours labour if made by hand.
I must say I've not seen any mirrors come close to the quality of a Rizoma mirror. There's no doubt that their products are a decent quality/finish. And when you're so ahead of the competition you can charge what you like. See Samsung and Apple flagship phones for example.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

What do people use to grease their joints? The brake adjust dial on the handlebars is already starting to get a bit of surface rust so I've sprayed it with ACF50 until I can find something decent.

Associate
Interesting little review there. It's been getting glowing reports elsewhere, but you can't beat a 'real world review'.

I've been eyeing up an adventure bike as my next bike for a while now. I went from the XR to the SD 1290R a few year ago and yes the KTM felt very agricultural and clunky in comparison. So I wouldn't go down the KTM route again, plus I just cannot stand the looks of their adventure range.

The Africa Twin was another one I considered and very well priced, but I wouldn't be venturing off road so I think it would be wasted, as it seems to have that bias. Guess it depends what you want from a bike.

I road tested the GS earlier this year and I can see why they're so popular, it just didn't excite me, but then I have an S1000RR and 1100 Tuono to cover those bases. Just makes more sense for commuting/touring duties.

If I were in your position I think I'd be holding on to see what BMW are doing with the XR and GS. GS is reported to be having an updated engine (variable valve timing) so this would boost the power a fair tad. The all new S1000RR is out next year too so it won't be long until the rest of the S range get completely revamped.

If it's the adventure riding position you want but don't want to go off-road, I (biased and happy owner) think you've ignored the Versys 1000. Yes, I understand that it's more 'budget' than the KTM and Ducati (and probably BMW) but it's a fine bike and is nowhere near as ugly as it was. I would never have bought a pre-2015 model... ugliest bike I've ever seen. Not any more...

Soldato
What do people use to grease their joints? The brake adjust dial on the handlebars is already starting to get a bit of surface rust so I've sprayed it with ACF50 until I can find something decent.
Castrol grease but it doesn't look like you can get it anymore unfortunately.

Soldato
I had to cancel my planned trip around the NC500 later this week, as I have to attend a funeral on Friday. However, I've managed to replace that by piggybacking onto a mate's trip to Germany :D. Very much a flying visit though - riding out Saturday to get there (Trier) Saturday afternoon, and then coming back Monday afternoon / evening. Should still be a nice short trip, and I think that then ends any trips I have longer than one day for the remainder of the year :(

IC3

IC3

Soldato
OP
My mates son, he's only 6 and he's already dragging his elbow. :eek::D:cool:

22179842_1460724667327550_6290002660094da670963.jpg

Back
Top Bottom