• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

I think it's dead :(

Associate
So I was on the computer playing a game when my.pc just shut down, a moment or so later it tried to restart but won't even post.

All I get is this https://youtu.be/qcCD4NW5-z4

It's a 7700k in a gigabyte ultra gaming. It's been running well and recently (maybe a month) switch over to all AIO cooler.

I've pulled out the power supply and tried with nothing else connected it other than the mobo. This was when I noticed the bright red light on the mobo was a CPU error light.

Tested voltages on the psu, everything's slightly above the expected value, I.E the 3.3 is around 3.42v, 12v around 12.25v.

It is possible to still be the mobo?

Caporegime
And before doing that, try unplugging all devices. USB etc. Just leave the monitor plugged in and see if it gets any further. I've had USB devices cause this sort of thing in the past.

Associate
OP
Currently nothing is plugged in, only the 24 pin and 8 pin atx are in use, even the graphics card has been removed, all drives disconnected and not a single usb. No change

Associate
I take it you've tried resetting the BIOS?

Have you tried with just one stick of RAM and in various slots?

Bit of a long shot considering AIOs don't often fail, but have a look for any residue on the mobo from a possible leak.

Could be either CPU or motherboard tbh, only way to find out for sure is to test with another CPU/motherboard.

Soldato
Could be either CPU or motherboard tbh, only way to find out for sure is to test with another CPU/motherboard.

seen maybe 100 faulty mobos over the years, but only 1 faulty CPU

If you have to order spares to test the CPU is the lest likely bit to be faulty

50/50 mobo or PSU id say

Associate
Ive had that exact problem previously. Turn off the power and remove the motherboard bios button battery. Wait 30 seconds, put it back in, and turn the power on. Then come back on to thank me !

Associate
My CPU died this week and won't reach POST either, it's caught in a power cycle. After systematically testing each component I ruled out everything but a mobo or CPU failure. However, having received a new mobo from OCUK today it's now apparent that it was in fact my CPU that had suddenly died.

I second what everyone else has said about ruling out each component such as the PSU by using spares, clearing the CMOS, removing the battery etc.

Associate
I had exactly the same issue after changing over to an AIO cooler, it lasted for 3 weeks and then all of a sudden I had this issue, it was like it was stuck in a reboot loop with a red light on my motherboard showing as CPU error, I tried all sorts to fix it and after testing each component on a spare system it came down to the issue being my power supply, luckily the corsair PSU was in warranty and I got it swapped out and everything worked as it should despite my PSU passing the tests it seemed that was the issue.

So if you have a spare PSU maybe give that ago as your symptoms sound identical to mine.

Associate
OP
I hate PC hardware problems, you can never pin down the cause without replacing everything.

Removed battery and left it, no change.

Sadly I don't have spares to test anything.

Associate
Do you have a speaker connected on your motherboard? Or have one available? If so, try booting without the CPU or RAM installed to see if the motherboard makes any sounds.

Have you tried resetting the CPU?

Associate
Before buying a CPU I would really be wanting to rule out a PSU or mobo problem. Do you have any friends that could help out with spares?

Back
Top Bottom