• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The best GPU for Ryzen 7 1700 [500 Pounds]

Associate
Hi,

I'm not sure yet but possibly I will be buying a new GPU soon and I want something from NVIDIA range since I'm disappointed with my RX480 8 GB at the moment due to the issue that I can't use it because my GPU acts dead when I plug in Display Port Cable in.

My setup at the moment is:
I mainly need something to quickly render 1080P video to which I can add 60 FPS in very short period of time then secondary goal is to max out or have a decent settings on any current coming game with stable 60 FPS, however the main purpose would be for rendering. I currently have around 500 pounds for it and was aiming around GTX 1070/1080 and maybe some CPU Cooler as well ?

Any recommendations or tips ?

Soldato
If you're aiming around a 1070/1080 maybe it's worth waiting a week or so for the 1070 Ti as it will be cheaper than a 1080 but possibly match it's base performance when overclocked and based on the 1070 performance it will give good 1080P performance.

Associate
OP
If you're aiming around a 1070/1080 maybe it's worth waiting a week or so for the 1070 Ti as it will be cheaper than a 1080 but possibly match it's base performance when overclocked and based on the 1070 performance it will give good 1080P performance.

Hmmm, I didn't know that, very interesting. Tho, I never overclock as it shortens the life of a GPU.
How much VRAM will it come with ? When it comes to games I think I should go with 8GB VRAM if it's possible, just to be on the safe side.

Associate
TweakTown expects the 1070ti to have 8GB RAM and the 1070ti which is expected to be released on 26th October.
But nobody except Nvidia (and perhaps other people under a very strict NDA) knows anything definite about a 1070ti at the moment.

Last edited:
Soldato
Hmmm, I didn't know that, very interesting. Tho, I never overclock as it shortens the life of a GPU.
How much VRAM will it come with ? When it comes to games I think I should go with 8GB VRAM if it's possible, just to be on the safe side.

It really doesn't bud, You have to go beyond safe overvolting limits for it to have any impact and Nvidia already severely limit the amount of extra volts you can push through the silicon.

Associate
I am going to say what I always say. If you see a good deal, take advantage of it. Waiting doesn't really work and hasn't worked at all for more than a year. You can bag a 1080 for that kind of money, pretty sure there was a deal this weekend even. You can always ask @Gibbo to see if there's anything he can do for you. He's a good chap, he is .... see what I did there? :)

Soldato
AMD with Freesync works out a lot cheaper. AMD did make a huge attempt at getting this across pre Vega launch. Did you ignore all of it?
That was only to hide vegas lacklustre performance. It was quite easy to see what they were doing, putting up smoke and mirrors and doing everything possible to shift the emphasis away from the 'actual' performance.

It's like Ferrari releasing a new car that can only hit 80mph and them spending the launch period emphasising economy and safety.

Soldato
That was only to hide vegas lacklustre performance. It was quite easy to see what they were doing, putting up smoke and mirrors and doing everything possible to shift the emphasis away from the 'actual' performance.

It's like Ferrari releasing a new car that can only hit 80mph and them spending the launch period emphasising economy and safety.

Not really. How much would a Pascal card cost with the Gsync contrer built in?

Permabanned

Except that the people actually trying them out side by side didn't notice any difference other than Nvidia costing more. Both offered very smooth gameplay. I could understand the argument if we were all professional gamers but in reality, very few are.

Perhaps Nvidia is more like Ferrari releasing a 200mph car which is then driven on UK roads.

Caporegime
AMD with Freesync works out a lot cheaper. AMD did make a huge attempt at getting this across pre Vega launch. Did you ignore all of it?

Does it though ?, when a custom cooled overclocked 1070, is £120 cheaper than a ref 56, and a custom 1080, is £200 cheaper than a ref 64, as to get around its performance, you have to pay £700 for the ref AIO, so thats either £120, or £200 you'll have saved by buying the Nvidia cards, which you could put towards the g-sync screen.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Does it though ?, when a custom cooled overclocked 1070, is £120 cheaper than a ref 56, and a custom 1080, is £200 cheaper than a ref 64, as to get around its performance, you have to pay £700 for the ref AIO, so thats either £120, or £200 you'll have saved by buying the Nvidia cards, which you could put towards the g-sync screen.

It does if you compare the price of the 480 he already owns and a 1080p Freesync panel. I can't speculate where Vega's price will settle but we know it's high at the moment due to low volume.

Caporegime
Even the 1080 Ti is cheaper than the AIO Vega, i just can't see anyone taking a much slower, much more expensive 64 over that, on the basis that a FreeSync monitor is cheaper than a g-sync one, when the money saved from buying the Ti voids that, as that money saved on buying it, would go towards the g-sync.

AMDs just Nvidia in reverse, their cards are high priced, but their monitors are cheap, Nvidias cards are cheap, but their monitors are high priced.

Caporegime
It does if you compare the price of the 480 he already owns and a 1080p Freesync panel. I can't speculate where Vega's price will settle but we know it's high at the moment due to low volume.

There's stock. This is just the current pricing.
This isn't gouging from a lack of stock, because Gibbo's already said Vega 56 is selling slow.

Back
Top Bottom