£15k, Approved Used

Soldato
Right, decision made, I'm looking to change my car.

£15k budget, looking to go the approved used route.

Currently looking at I guess what you'd call mid-range hatchbacks/saloons. BMW 3 series, MB C-Class, Mazda 6 Sport, Mondeo Titanium. Why the selection? Premium feel of the German cars vs. the amount of car you can buy on a Ford or Mazda at that price point. I'm coming from an ST220 by the way.

I'm going for some test drives next week. In terms of what I'm after, I'd like to stay around 4 years old (hence why I get limited on the German equipment levels), 40k miles. I'm doing around 10k a year, so petrol is the order of the day, and at times I'll make use of the boot space by dropping the rear seats for transport. I'd be looking around the 180-220hp area, something with reasonable poke but nothing too fast.

I'm happy to take comments on my choices and logic, but the main reason I'm posting is to see if I have completely missed any potential options. Any other prime contenders other than those 4 at this price point and type?

Cheers.

Soldato
OP
Yea I'm afraid if I got the BMW route I'd want to be more recent than E92, though I realise that technically it's just inside the 4 year line I've indicated. Thanks for the thought though!

Soldato
Op it's a bit of an odd selection really. If you're considering the Mondeo and Mazda 6 then assume you aren't massively bothered by power but would like more room? In which case the Superb and even Octavia are worth looking at. S/V60 etc too

Soldato
I just (yesterday!) made the same decision, although on a slightly lower budget (£13k). I looked at Mazda 6, Mazda 3 fastback, Ford Focus/Mondeo, BMW 3 series, Audi A4, Mercedes C classes, though I didn't have the same power need that you had. I ended up with a C class (albeit the old W204) as it was in such good condition, with one owner who had taken very good care of it. For the price I could have bought a Mazda 6 or Mondeo that was one year newer, but the difference in the build quality of the cars is pretty apparent. For reference, I bought from a private dealer rather than Approved Used. I called MB Brooklands and pretty much all of the C classes they had on their approved used were diesels. I think the only petrol ones were either too new for me or C63 AMGs!

I would have happily taken a Mondeo (owned two before, thanks to the OcUK propaganda!) but I couldn't find any petrol ones in reasonable condition within 50 miles of me that didn't command a premium - the only ones I found were similar in price to the MB/BMWs. The only BMW 3 series I could find within budget for me that were the newer (F30?) variant I felt were a little overpriced next to the MB offerings. The Mazda 6 Sport Nav was the obvious second option for me, but the C class (despite being older) I felt was a much nicer place to be in.

IC3

IC3

Soldato
Get this sticker with it and slap it on the back :D
51_ADSbaa5_TL._SY355.jpg

Soldato
I've just bought a 2011 520d M Sport Touring for just shy of £14k with a decent few extras and I'm over the moon with it.

It's a much nicer car than the newer 3 series in my opinion and you'd struggle to get as much car for £14k elsewhere.

Back
Top Bottom