Moving to Cambridgeshire?

taB

taB

Associate
Yeah, nothing solid as you say but iirc there's 3 proposed routes for Oxford to Cambridge rail around Sandy, a couple of dual carriage options for the 428 to hit the Black Cat roundabout and a couple of A1 options (east and west) on top of just fixing the current route. Once these are known they're planning to stick houses on / around and it's in that general area. Likely to be a new station on the North South and East West rail crossing too if it isn't somehow built into Sandy (unlikely given current infrastructure and the hills immediately behind). Central Beds have just made their initial proposals based on what they think is likely / want to happen. They don't really have a clue (this was obvious when I went to the consultation). It will probably make things interesting for a decade or so once they start though.

Caporegime
I'm looking at possibly moving to Cambridgeshire given that some of my family have made the jump and really like it up there. I'd end up commuting back into London but I'm quite happy to do this for a while with a view to an end-game of finding employment more locally.

The plan is to move and end up with no mortgage with some change. The commute would be expensive but still a lot less than my current mortgage payments.

I'm looking at St Neot's right now and have spent a fair bit of time looking around. Like anywhere there are a few not so great parts but even those are still decent compared to where I'm at now. :D

Cheers! :)
Well my first advice would be don't :p.

The commuter experience can be awful, depends what line you're (going to be) on. If its Liverpool Street then its absolutely dire, if its Kings Cross it is at least a reasonable train, if not always packed and hellishly expensive.

What do you do for a living? Everyone I know who works in tech has moved to villages like Waterbeach because it’s the right side of Cambridge for the business/science parks.
Just worth bearing in mind that Waterbeach and its infrastructure is set to be utterly destroyed shortly as 10-15,000 new homes have been approved, without near enough additional infrastructure (road, rail, amenities) being included in the plans. So glad we didn't move there recently.

Associate
funnily enough im looking to move to St Neots in the near future as well. Saw 4 places last weekend and another 7 due for this weekend.

A work colleague also lives there and he told me East Socon is the posh side of town but for my budget, 230-250k, all that was on that side of town was ex council houses in mixed housing areas which looked rough as a badgers bottom.

So we are looking more towards the Eynesbury side which actually looked nicer when we were driving around last weekend even though he warned us off the area. Nowhere near the ducks lane area though, more towards the eastern edge of Eynesbury. Had a look on the police crime map for the postcode and it looks pretty clear of trouble at least. Not knowing much about the history of the area i get the feeling that the big space to the east will be filled in with flats and homes at some point.

I want to move up there as im in welwyn garden city at the moment which is the most characterless place ive ever seen and the house prices are mental here. So it was either Stevenage, which looks as bad as anything, or further north. And i like cambridge a lot so Neots will be good for that.

Soldato
Repeating what others have said really, Huntingdon isn't that great but does have the benefit of the railway station and local amenities, some of the smaller towns/villages are nice (St Ives, Godmanchester, Hemmingfords) and some are utterly awful (Ramsey, Swavesey)

St Neots has a good mix, but prices have been creeping up gradually as it becomes more of a commuter town, interestingly it now has a bigger population than Huntingdon even though Huntingdon is the district town.

If you're commuting into London I'd stick to the East Coast mainline route (Peterborough/Huntingdon/St Neots) rather than the Cambridge branch (Cambridge/Ely) as the line is already at capacity and you'll struggle with a seat from Cambridge.

There are plans for a lot more housing in the area, there is a lot of unused land and old airfields they want to build on, hopefully with the "new" A14 and other road improvements in the area it won't have to big a negative impact, but that's probably just wishful thinking!

Soldato
OP
Well my first advice would be don't :p.

The commuter experience can be awful, depends what line you're (going to be) on. If its Liverpool Street then its absolutely dire, if its Kings Cross it is at least a reasonable train, if not always packed and hellishly expensive.

Hmm well a family member has commuted to KGX for a year and says it's ok as long as you can stagger your shifts and get an early/late train. Fortunately my hours are flexible so I can accommodate this. :)
I can also work from home sometimes.

I'm only planning a London commute in the interim until I can sort out employment more locally (may even get a payoff if I'm lucky).

As always, thanks very much for all the input :)

Associate
I have been living in st Neots loves farm for the past 3 years.. no idea what people are going on about saying it has a bad reputation, unless I'm oblivious.

St Neots has got really good eating places, loves farm is a nice estate but parking is becoming an issue thanks to developers building five bedroom houses with one parking space, you can get to kings cross in 40 minutes. Train station is also modern and decent. Monthly London terminal ticket is 400 quid I think

Back
Top Bottom