• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel to launch 6 core Coffee Lake-S CPUs & Z370 chipset 5 October 2017

Soldato
Also it must be really annoying for all the board makers. 'hey look we've made 13 different Z370 boards, even though Z390 will be so much better just so we could get some stock on shelves. Oh wait, you don't have any chips now? Cheers Intel'

Well it seems a case of Z270 with Kaby lake support dropped. Plus Z170 and Z270 have pretty much been made defunct by Intel and AMD.

Last edited:
OcUK Staff
In retail stepping this is very rare so will be priced accordingly.

The CPUs are prime v26 and Realbench stable for one hour each. Delid with great Temps and full warranty. Custom water even 5.3ghz can be done.

ljt

ljt

Soldato
when you bin cpu's is it just a select few cpu's that are randomly selected or you select a large amount, pick the top ones and put the not so good oc/ers back.

AFAIK they use OEM tray CPU's for binning (not the retail ones they sell in boxes) They'll test a batch, and "bin" them according to what stable clock speed they manage. The ones that don't hit the minimum "bin" speed i.e. 5Ghz go into none overclocked pre-built systems

@8 Pack - I think the binning process really needs a sticky as this question gets asked in every new CPU release thread!

Associate
Hi all,
I upgraded from a i7 4770k / Maximus VI Formula to a i7 7700k / IX Formula last week before being made aware that the Gen8 CPU's were coming out. I swollowed my pride that id purchased my upgrade right before the release of a new gen and moved on.
Two or three days after my build i noticed the turbo boost from 4.2 to 4.5 was causing the mobo to restart and then go into a 00 cycle and not shut down. I think the board is faulty but the retailer has just refunded me on the i7 7700k and told me to donate it or bin it and told me to return my mobo for a full refund!
Although im pleased with their response seeing as ive probably ended up with a free CPU im not sure whether to return my mobo and buy a like for like or purchase a i7 8700k or 8600k and an Asus X Hero or something along those lines. Either way i dont think it will make the world of difference with my 1080ti but some of these more CPU intensive games may make it worth it for my usual 3-4 year upgrade cycle.

Seeing as im off work after a knee operation ill probably be sitting there with a few others hitting F5. I love PC building and im in IT support/admin, but i must admit i prefer my motorbikes but my knee has kept me off them the last couple of months :(

Good luck to all of the hunters for tomorrow. Would be nice to bag one tomorrow maybe but may just stick on the 7700k route for a bit if it looks as bad as some are making out.

Cheers
Tom

Last edited:
Associate
AFAIK they use OEM tray CPU's for binning (not the retail ones they sell in boxes) They'll test a batch, and "bin" them according to what stable clock speed they manage. The ones that don't hit the minimum "bin" speed i.e. 5Ghz go into none overclocked pre-built systems

@8 Pack - I think the binning process really needs a sticky as this question gets asked in every new CPU release thread!
Thanks for clarification, does retail have just as much chance as OEM, to be a good ocer

ljt

ljt

Soldato
Thanks for clarification, does retail have just as much chance as OEM, to be a good ocer

The retail and OEM sold CPU's sold separately on the website will not have been touched/checked etc, it's the silicon lottery as they say, you could end up with one that'll match 8 packs highest pre binned chip for a lot less money than a pre binned one, but you obviously don't get that guarantee as you would with the pre tested ones (hence the extra cost for binned chips)

Associate

As ljt mentioned below it's a complete lottery. Whether a cpu is deemed oem or retail has no bearing on how good the cpu will be.

When OCUK "bin" these "tray" cpu's the really good clockers get sold, and the worse ones go in systems. It just wouldn't make sense for them to crack open retail boxes.

Overclocking aside, the thing is at stock these cpus turbo to 4.7ghz! Which is more than enough for gaming. I'd say most of them will likely get close to 5ghz, probably most being stable at 4.8 or 4.9 with the "good" ones going over.

Most reviews have overclocks at 5ghz and over but I don't always put much faith into reviews as it's common for reviewers to receive specifically selected samples. Very rarely will these review outlets review retail samples.

The retail and OEM sold CPU's sold separately on the website will not have been touched/checked etc, it's the silicon lottery as they say, you could end up with one that'll match 8 packs highest pre binned chip for a lot less money than a pre binned one, but you obviously don't get that guarantee as you would with the pre tested ones (hence the extra cost for binned chips)

Associate
So what is the RRP in £? I'm glad someone knows. :)
X99 still looks a good platform but I doubt the gamer centric audience on here would go for it.

The more I think about it, Intel won't have an rrp of more than their HEDT. The official rrp for the 7800x is £379.99 if I'm not mistaken( even though it sells for around 350 ish now), so I can't see the 8700k being more than that. Artificial price rises is a different thing altogether though, and I remember even the 6700k went through the same thing, certain resellers were trying it on....So we'll defintely see these priced at over 400 quid in some places when stock is low.

Ultimately I think prices will settle to be the same as what the current i7 (and all previous i7's have sold for).

Anyone who thinks the RRP is going to be sky high on the 8th gen is wrong in my opinion. 6 core Intel chips is not a new thing, and they've been priced similarly to mainstream i7's for some time. The additional costs were on the motherboard and ram.

That comment wasn't aimed at you obviously, just talking in general at the pessimists.

Last edited:
OcUK Staff
As ljt mentioned below it's a complete lottery. Whether a cpu is deemed oem or retail has no bearing on how good the cpu will be.

When OCUK "bin" these "tray" cpu's the really good clockers get sold, and the worse ones go in systems. It just wouldn't make sense for them to crack open retail boxes.

Overclocking aside, the thing is at stock these cpus turbo to 4.7ghz! Which is more than enough for gaming. I'd say most of them will likely get close to 5ghz, probably most being stable at 4.8 or 4.9 with the "good" ones going over.

Most reviews have overclocks at 5ghz and over but I don't always put much faith into reviews as it's common for reviewers to receive specifically selected samples. Very rarely will these review outlets review retail samples.
a lot of vendors are putting too much voltage for 4.7 at auto settings on boards. Tune to 1.2V core to 1.225V or lower.

Back
Top Bottom