fiesta 1.0 ecoboost

Adz

Adz

Soldato
I bought one of these for my mum (100ps version with powershift) and it's a great car for someone who isn't interested in cars. Plenty of torque and fairly refined compared to other 3 cylinder cars I've driven. Low road tax and ~40mpg easily achievable.

Don
too much power through a tiny block imo

So how do motorbikes manage???

Yes there were a few issues with the 1.0 Ecoboost particularly in the Fiesta (radiator hose was a common one I think), but I doubt there are any many "new" engines that don't have issues initially.

i was thinking that, especially the 140bhp version. it must run quite high boost to get that power.

Not really - given that there is a N/A of the 3 cyclinder engine in both 65 and 80 hp outputs - that means the turbo is good for at most 60hp in the 140bhp version. Look at any turbo vs n/a version of the same car, normally about 50-70hp difference (e.g. VW golf 2.0 - 147hp N/A, 197hp Turbo, Mini 1.6 - 120hp, Cooper S 1.6T - 175hp)

I don't have the Fiesta, but do have the 125bhp 1.0 Ecoboost Focus - it's a slightly heavier car, that I use for fairly short runs, but still manage 45mpg. On paper the Focus has a fairly slow 0-60 time, but in reality has more than adequate performance for day to day (Coming from someone who had a 2.0T A3 and a Cooper S before owning the Focus).

Associate
and how much does a motorbike weigh in comparison to the fiesta? much higher torque is required.
apparently the 140bhp 1.0 runs 38psi boost, so yes huge amount of boost needed for that 75% power increase.

Soldato
and how much does a motorbike weigh in comparison to the fiesta? much higher torque is required.
apparently the 140bhp 1.0 runs 38psi boost, so yes huge amount of boost needed for that 75% power increase.

That is probably the absolute pressure not gauge so includes 15psi for atmospheric pressure.

Soldato
its not suppose to be technical thread so i will keep it short, but the problem with downsized engines is that the end users do not drive them the way they were intended to be driven!

Its downsized so that drivers are forced to using the boosted higher load region(50% throttle or more), around 3000 to 4500RPM is the sweet spot. Always keep the gears low to use more throttle too!
If you try to keep it too low or out of boost, you will have terrible economy :)

Man of Honour
its a 1litre engine. it's not going to have a huge displacement turbo fitted to it, lol. turbo lag till 5800rpm?
my point is, it just seems a lot of stress on a small engine.

It's the same specific output we've been seeing from hot hatches for well over ten years. 140BHP/Litre is neither new or groundbreaking

Soldato
So how do motorbikes manage???

Yes there were a few issues with the 1.0 Ecoboost particularly in the Fiesta (radiator hose was a common one I think),

It was the Focus that had the hose issue. The top cooleant hose was made of a plasticky material which went brittle due to the engine temps before it cracked and leaked, starved the engine of coolant and caused engine failure... A recall sorted it all.. This issue did not affect Fiestas.

Soldato
Either way, a lot of people have had blown gaskets on them :/

Obviously a bigger engine is going to have more substance to it and be more robust.

Soldato
Yes but if we are going to ask about reliability/performance of the engine of a particular vehicle, it should be accurate or people get the wrong information... In actuality, the engine wasn't the issue or the cause of failure, it was a simple hose.... If any engine is allowed to overheat for enough time, it will fail. To say an engine is bad and prone to fail when it is simply the result of something else being wrong is a little disingenuous...

The Ecoboost engine is a good wee engine... It has won overall International Engine of the Year for 2012, 2013 and 2014 and also Sub-1 litre Engine of the Year for the last 6 years (2012 - 2017) i.e. EVERY year since its launch...

Soldato
These aren't the best engines. They are designed to extract a lot of power out of the small displacement. This makes them run very hot. We've had 3 customers this year that have had to have new engines due to overheating damage.

Soldato
The cause of the issue was the small coolant pipe on two of them, one being a C-Max, the other being a Focus I think. The last we done was on a Transit Connect, that was head gasket failure.
The main issue is the fact they run right at the top of the temperature scale, and don't take much to go over the top and destroy the engine.

Associate
I had one a 1.0 100BHP Zetec, one of the early ones, was as 62 plate bought in Jan/Feb of 13. I had a couple of electrical issues that were fixed under warranty in the first year but after that it was great. Used to average between 43-48mpg no matter how i drove, even with a bike rack on the roof permanently. The only time I found it lacking in a bit of power (not talking about anything special, just a "oh, I could do with a bit more power now") was when it was fully loaded with stuff (boot and back seats) and had two bikes on the roof and I went to overtake a lorry.

Back
Top Bottom