Latest round of diesel scrappage/ swappage / changeoverage

Soldato
I suppose for new purchasers of BM & Merc, their average buyer is less likely to be trading in a scrappable car, than someone buying a VW say,
so they would not want to limit their market and make the scrap promise. (albeit 3 series in top 10 sellers)
But why won't BM make the offer on petrol trade-in ?

How much of the 2K bonus could you negotiate anyway, via trade-in value or reductions.
- The new car registration date constraints seems tight though, as remarked.

So, Participant, are you out of diesel. ?

Soldato
There is no "scheme" here like there was either the government backed scheme a few years ago. This is just dealers profiting of the current diesel hate by calling existing discounts "scrappage". They can do what they want with your old car.

Well thats just incorrect, as least in the case of Ford. Dealers have to scrap the car and provide a Certificate of Destruction or the money is clawed back so no, they can't do whatever they want with the car....

Soldato
OK, as you say, maybe it just some of the the Germans ("We did not start it! :Yes you did — you invaded Poland") who are not playing scrap.

Merc
In order to increase the proportion of cars on the road with lower emission levels, we are now offering up to £2,000* off a new Mercedes-Benz when you trade-in your EU1 – EU4 diesel car by the 31st December 2017.
What’s more, if your current car is EU1, 2 or 3 standard, we will ensure that it is taken off the road and recycled in an environmentally compatible way, in compliance with legal requirements.
I wonder if the parts can be put on the market, to keep the remaining diesels alive.

Caporegime
OP
^^^ Makes no sense... The car HAS to be scrapped to qualify for the scheme

Says who? What specific scheme are you referring to? They're private schemes and manufacturers can operate them as they wish. They're scrapping EU1-3 vehicles and accepting trade in + bonus for EU4 vehicles. I don't know why, but saying they're obliged to do xyz is simply untrue.

there is no way that the dealer will receive the £2,300 he is giving you for the car back as scrap value...

Why are you talking about scrap? With EU4 cars they just get traded in as normal and you get an extra sales incentive for getting a newer diesel. What happens to the EU4 cars I don't know or care, but the fact is that's what's happening. Obviously that means it's not a scrappage scheme for EU4 vehicles, but then Mercedes for example aren't even calling it scrappage, they're calling it 'diesel changeover'.

You seem very bold in stating various factoids but at the same time blind to the actual evidence and experience I'm posting. Perhaps stop thinking of it as a scrappage scheme and assuming that all the manufacturers' schemes are identical, and you might be able to get your head round it...

Soldato
Looking to use this for purchasing a new car by scrapping my current diesel, something such as a Citigo, Aygo, Picanto or Celerio but which would be most reliable/ the best buy or is it splitting hairs at this point?

Soldato
I have a Renault Laguna (petrol) and I'm looking to replace it with a Leaf. I spoke to my local dealer and was surprised the prices of PCP were so high on used stock. It was at least £30 more than a lease deal. That was using the switch deal (scrappage) to get £2000 off the list price and £500 deposit.

Caporegime
Sounds about right, PCP on used vehicles is typically more expensive than new. Usually worse rates and lack of incentivised discounts (manufacturer/dealer contributions etc) on used stock.

Soldato
I have a Renault Laguna (petrol) and I'm looking to replace it with a Leaf. I spoke to my local dealer and was surprised the prices of PCP were so high on used stock. It was at least £30 more than a lease deal. That was using the switch deal (scrappage) to get £2000 off the list price and £500 deposit.

Worth looking here:

https://speakev.com/forums/EV-Classifieds/
https://speakev.com/threads/leaf-pcp-offers-including-switch-trade-in-deals.70809/

Prices have shot up over the past 12-18 months. I wouldn't bank on the new Leaf bringing them down. It'll be 30kWh cars coming on the market after 24/36 month PCPs that will start having an effect. I reckon values will hold for at least a year TBH.

Last edited:
Associate
I have seen that as well , supplies of the old model have almost dried up. Some have even had a deposit returned . Looking at the new one but I expect the PCP to be double the £150 a month we pay.

Soldato
It's a bit of a shame there's little competition over here, as there's barely any reason to offer good prices on the new Leaf. Even at £300/month, it stacks up reasonably well. About the same as a Zoe. A good bit less than an i3 REx.

US pricing will no.doubt be cheap.

Jay

Jay

Associate
Wife scrapped her 2005 Astra in for a new Kadjar. The Renault deal already discounted £4.5k off list, plus £2k for the Astra was a nice discount and she loves the Kadjar.

Soldato
well I did it, I'm in the process of scrapping my 52 plate Laguna for a Nissan Leaf. Paid a deposit on the last day of September. 15 plate Leaf PCP for £150 a month. Not the greatest deal on the planet but works for us.

Back
Top Bottom