External Radiators?

Associate
I'm struggling to find the right case which suits my system, yet has the space for my radiators on my current loop. I also have a Parvum ITX case which, whilst the case is great, only supports a 120mm rad.

My thinking is, could I run the water cooling loop to some quick disconnects hanging out the back, then run that down to external radiators and fans?

I get its more complex, and complex means leaks, but I get my cake (small case) and get to eat it (radiator support)!

Has anyone tried this idea with success? What's the best way to power the fans? I've got a laptop PSU which perhaps I could wire up somehow to let the fans do their work?

Associate
In terms of cooling i think it might be actually cooler and all it would require is running extra tubing, only down side is ugly looks and when moving your pc you need to pay more attention. As for fans you can use extensions or maybe 3 or 4 pin to usb adapters and use usb hub to power the fans or fan controllers.
Something like below but dont leave it on top of the radiator as in picture xD
0f2v.jpg

Image from https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/your-pc-atm.65012/page-1047

8703a962_600x450px-LL-a564420c_P1000295.jpeg

Image from Overclock.net

Associate
OP
Thanks @BaroUK2. My idea is to have some quick connects out of the back of the system, then run some extended tubes to a small frame with my radiators on it. This way I can use my previous case, my previous rads and fans and I also get to keep the noisy bit away from the top of my desk.

Would the D5 pump be able to handle radiators perhaps 1 - 1.2 meters lower than the pump? The loop is just the D5/res combo, 240+280 rad, CPU and GPU.

I've got most of the kit to make this happen, it just seems a fun thing to try. I also get the small form factor PC on the desk with plenty of cooling potential tucked away.

Associate
It would be easier if you can draw / make diagram of your loop with length of tubing to how you are thinking to position them then we can make suggestions. I am only familiar with normal setups so having the radiator 1.2 meters down from the pump might be pushing it a little considering you have 2 rad, cpu and gpu you might loose pressure and also you need to make sure your pump has coolant at all times, perhaps adding another pump by radiators or dual reservoir might help a lot to help push flow. But like i said post your loop layout and i am sure water cooling gurus can help you further...

Soldato
I think you can make it look good, depends how you lay things out. In my case I use an external rad and most people would not even know its hooked up to the PC as the tubes exit the side against the wall and run right up against the skirting under sleeved white trunking to the radiator so can't see anything, just a radiator standalone a meter or so from PC.

Like yourself absolutely love my case, but the 360mm rad inside could not cut cooling 3/4 GPU's and CPU so I have added a external 720mm rad in form of Aquaduct. My system is a tad restrictive with all the blocks and looks I chased so 90" fittings combined with the tube length, so settled on the EK Dual D5 Serial pump to get sufficient flow, but if your after a single CPU / GPU combo, I suspect a single d5 will be fine with the loop based on my messing around, as long as your tubing runs are not excessively massive or anything.

For powering the fan's if they are PWM, I would get a fan hub hook the fans up to it, then possible run a molex extension and PWM extension cable into the PC. If you hide the cables well should not be noticeable and still get full control from PC in terms of fan speed. Bonus if you have an Aqua computer Aquero unit with sensors.

Associate
OP
Nice, thanks for the help everyone.

I've had a little look into what to do. I've decided that Ill lead the hardline tubes in the case to a bulkhead fitting on the rear where the exit fan used to reside, then transfer to soft tube for a short distance to some quick disconnects (such as the EKWB ones), then a longer length of soft tube to a separate frame housing my 280 and 240mm radiator, fan hub and some sort of power source.

Or.... I build a case from scratch. Decisions decisions!

Soldato
That top picture is my setup from years ago, my last setup is the same as what you are doing now.

I used a XSPC AX480 rad and stand with the pump + res mounted to it with soft tubing and qdc's going into the back of the case via pass throughs i fitted using a dremel to cut some holes in a Caselabs BH7, i used rigid tubing inside.

I used a 18w DDC a D5 and one of the Alphacool pumps at different times no problems.

I powered it with a Phobya external psu and connected the pump/fans to a fan controller that i fitted into a 5.25" storage drawer, it worked well for me but i wanted it all internal again after a while.

Post a picture when you have it up and running.

Soldato
I personally wouldn't bother with quick disconnects as they can ruin your flow, and let's be honest here, you should ideally drain your loop if moving the system any real distance.

So bulkhead fittings in the case would be my choice so you have physical connection between the inside and outside of the case so you can detach tubing runs and drain.

Back
Top Bottom