The Indoor Riding/ Zwift/ TrainerRoad etc. Thread

Soldato
Tight enough so that when you grab the back wheel and try and spin it quickly it doesn't slip. You don't want to be wheel spinning on the roller when you are cranking up on those pedals
Depending on the trainer that can be too tight... I was overtightening my Road Machine for 2+ years. My Vortex having a spindown & calibration showed me the error of my ways!

Currently I lug all my gear (Kickr, Bike, Mac, Water) out to the garage 15m away.
That counts as arm day, right? :D
- The Neo was paired with Zwift but there was no Neo resistance changes.
Weird, did you re-pair? My Vortex has done this a couple of times when I calibrate (smartphone) and my Laptop is fired up, it's almost as if the ANT+/BT pairing gets upset with two devices connected to the trainer. I usually power cycle it and make sure I've closed the app and turned off BT on my handset before things are happy & control works.

Could be firmware related, if you can repeat the issue it might be worth logging with Zwift or Tacx as they may like to troubleshoot. Would also be worth, if you can repeat it with TR, I know their support is much more hands on with troubleshooting. You may just find the issue is with Zwift though...

Soldato
My first Neo died and I had to return it. Plugged it in, no lights on, could hear it power up & it would power freewheel but no Bluetooth, no underlighting and no ant+.

I would unplug it after each ride so it wasn’t a voltage surge or anything that damaged it. Had it 9 months and did maybe 1500km.

CRC customer service good on the phone but very very slow to reply to emails and most of it has to be done by email so took a week to get anywhere. Then I had a replacement in a week as I phoned them to organise collection etc rather than email.

My new Neo shipped (both were W2017 models) with a 0.5 and a 1mm spacer which you can use to space the cassette away from the trainer, if I have the same problems with gear indexing on it so might add the 0.5mm, it doesn’t need much, a quick test ride showed it wasn’t perfect out the box.

My kickr was a lot better for indexing, couple of turns on the barrel adjuster and it was sweet.

I have an old desktop PC I could use for Zwift. I think it might be better for graphics as I get some FPS slow down when it’s busy on screen.

My laptop is a 2011 HP Pavillion DV6 with an i7, 8gb ram, 5400rpm drive and a mobile Radeon.

The PC is a 2011 custom build, i5 overclocked to 3.2ghz, 4gb, Gainward GTX 280 golden sample, pair of 7200 drives.

Thinking if I stuck two more 2gb sticks in the PC (£35 online) a small SSD and fresh windows install then it should wee all over the laptop as the GPU should be way better? Not really paid any attention to computer stuff the last few years so input appreciated.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm looking forward to getting in on this virtual world malarky.

WattBike updated me with an early December delivery date. That works for me, as my misses is on holiday with her mum over the entire xmas and NY period. I think I'll just live on the bike!

I've set myself the challenge of completing the Zwift California distance challenge over the Christmas break too, mainly as I want the S-Works Tarmac!! :)

Soldato
Thinking if I stuck two more 2gb sticks in the PC (£35 online) a small SSD and fresh windows install then it should wee all over the laptop as the GPU should be way better? Not really paid any attention to computer stuff the last few years so input appreciated.

If you want an idea of what sort of rig you will need for each given display mode in Zwift, consult https://zwiftalizer.com/benchmarks

@FrenchTart can we pin this link to the OP or somewhere equally useful please? :) or I will post a high-res image of your unwashed bike and unshaven legs :eek: :p

Soldato
Thanks for the link, so what do the three bars under the system specs indicate? Lowest, average and max FPS?

Seems I could jump from 720 medium to high graphics with an FPS increase but the only comparable card has a lower CPU so my performance should be better.

Associate
I'm hovering over buying a kickr from wiggle at £800
I think it's for the 2016 model. I'll quickly have a look at the 2017 model differences.

Soldato
I'm hovering over buying a kickr from wiggle at £800
I think it's for the 2016 model. I'll quickly have a look at the 2017 model differences.

V1, without the handle. V2 was released 2017, as was V3

V3 = "Other than the small redesign to provide better clearance for disc brake road bikes and to allow it to be used with the new Climb accessory (V1 and V2 Kickr trainers aren’t compatible) it retains all the changes that were introduced with the version two Kickr introduced last year."

If you've platinum discount (17% for the moment) then the V2 is £830 currently. My quidco on top @ 3% was denied back in June.

Soldato
Really looking forward to giving Zwift a bash, and a few races maybe too!

I am a bit puzzled by the classes, A, B, C etc.... Most races state you should enter as in A if your W/kg > 4. I'm about 4.5 at the moment, but I can imagine getting my ass handed to me if I enter an A group!
Is this so?

Back
Top Bottom