New essential Android apps thread

Soldato
Thanks, will give this a go.
Which one would you recommend?
Currently using the pro version for Swipe, it blocks Facebook ads and offers a material UI and other themes to make the site look nicer. There's also a mark all as read option in the notification page, and you can choose if the messenger icon opens either the mobite site version, or link it to the messenger/messenger lite app. Metal pro can block facebook ads as well but didn't offer the other features, which is why I chose Swipe.

Associate
Same I have been using it since I switched from my 950 to a U11 a couple of months back. Far better then the "news" ridden stock launcher and its not full of adverts like all the other free ones. Hope they update their lock screen one at some point (not that android seems to let you replace your stock one completely for some stupid reason, god I miss windows phone).

Soldato
hm, that is a tad annoying. To be fair my stock lock screen is pretty damn minimal as it is, so I don't think I need another.

(Infact, i hate having a lockscreen, stupid fingerprint security needing a pattern.)

Associate
I think you can disable the android lock screen if you don't use android pay, but if you do use it, it has both enabled (Got to have all the security all the time). At least I think that's the case. 3 months on and I am still trying to figure out half of what my phone is doing.

Caporegime
I stupidly fell for one of those scam calls from an international number, rang back thinking it was family related got charged £10 for phone call that barely lasted 20 seconds.

However I'm swamped with these calls every day now, from all over the world. I can block each number but it's a whack a mole situation here. Any apps that can do a better job but don't want it to be too strict with blocking unrecognised numbers as my phone is also my work one?

Last edited:

V_R

V_R

Soldato
Guys a quick Android Pay question - Obviously you can pay up to £100 if you authenticate it, but can a retailer decide they don't want to allow payments over £30 and stop/block them if they wish?

I tried to buy something via AP that was £40ish this weekend in a shop I've not been in before and it wouldn't go though.

I use AP all the time and never had this issue in the past so I assume its a preference the retailer can choose?

Soldato
I stupidly fell for one of those scam calls from an international number, rang back thinking it was family related got charged £10 for phone call that barely lasted 20 seconds.

However I swamped with these calls every day now, from all over the world. I can block each number but it's a whack a mole situation here. Any apps that can do a better job but don't want it to be too strict with blocking unrecognised numbers as my phone is also my work one?

truecaller :)

Associate
Guys a quick Android Pay question - Obviously you can pay up to £100 if you authenticate it, but can a retailer decide they don't want to allow payments over £30 and stop/block them if they wish?

I tried to buy something via AP that was £40ish this weekend in a shop I've not been in before and it wouldn't go though.

I use AP all the time and never had this issue in the past so I assume its a preference the retailer can choose?

I've had this a few times, after I first enabled Android Pay, the transaction failed to go through and was told of the limit and looked like a tool in front of my wife when I said the android pay limit should be higher. Assumption at that point was that they had it limited even though the terminal advertised Android Pay.

yes that's correct it's reatiler preference. some will automatically disable the contactless feature if it's over £30, some still have contactless stopped at £20 (though i've only seen this at one retailer).

if it's over £30, on barclays at least you have to tap the phone to the reader, it then buzzes you to type in your card pin (not phone pin) into the phone (you can move the phone away from the reader at this point) and then tap the reader again within the next 30 seconds. this allows over £30 up to £100, but as said, some retailers just simply decide to not allow anything more then £30 so it doesn't always work, though rare.

another issue you sometimes have is although the retailer may allow up to £100 contactless with mobile, when you first tap the phone against the reader and it then asks you to type in your pin of the card, the reader sees this as a fail so then prevents contactless or needs to go back to the person on the till to select the card payment/contactless payment option again for the reader to reanlbe contactless, so you might not then be able to pay because of that reason and not the phone.

to solve that issues, i'm not sure how AP works but barclays you can login and get the contactless limit up to £100 ready before you get to the reader.

to to sum it up, it's preference of the retailer. most do allow the £100 payment, but almost no staff know this and will tell you to pay by card. it's quite fun to see their faces when you can make it work.

Last edited:

V_R

V_R

Soldato
to to sum it up, it's preference of the retailer. most do allow the £100 payment, but almost no staff know this and will tell you to pay by card. it's quite fun to see their faces when you can make it work.

Indeed, I've lost count of the amount of times I've had to explain that you can use AP over £30 (then you get that one time where they've put a hard limit on it just to make you look like a fool!). I think its because Apple Pay is limited to £30 regardless, and they just assume its the same for Android Pay.

Soldato
I think it's because contactless credit cards that we've been using for years are limited to £30... (well, even less initially)

I doubt many cashiers know a great deal about Apple Pay or Android pay at this point tbh.

Back
Top Bottom