Associate
I'm looking g at a few coolers for the 8600k, and would be looking to do a small OC of about 4.8Ghz

The main coolers I'm looking at are the Corsair h80i v2, or the CM Seidon 240V.

The other options are some low profile, top facing coolers. I've seen the Cryorig C1 or the Big Shuriken 2 Rev.B. But I don't know if there will allow for any OC. Tower style cooling is not an option for me unfortunately.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Soldato
Hi

What case do you have ?

I would avoid low profile coolers if you are planning to overclock. These cpu's can get pretty hot, so you need something beefy for cooling. If you can't fit a big air cooler then you want either a 240mm or 280mm water cooler.

Not sure how good the Seidon is. You would have to try and find a review for it.

As for Corsair you would be better off with the H100i GTX over the H80i. It is a 240mm cooler and only costs £3 more.

Associate
OP
Thanks, I will look into the Seidon. The H100i is a good bit more for me as I can get the h80i v2 for £55 from a mate unopened. But I'm just not sure if the 240mm rad will be a lot better than the h80i even though it is not an expensive cooler.
I'll try find some reviews.

Do you think it's worth overclocking to 4.8Ghz even if it costs more, or will I look at staying at stock temp with a Cryorig C7 or something around that price?

I'm looking at the Nano S, which I know supports tower style air, but I think it looks weird in such a small case so would like to avoid it.

Soldato
For similar price to H80 you can get a good air cooler that will cool as well or better than H80, last a lot longer and be quieter too.

Nano S support coolers up to 160mm tall, but what coolers will fit also depends on RAM and PCIe socket clearance. What motherboard and RAM do you plan to use?

Associate
OP
Considered a hybrid top-down/tower (less bulky tower part) cooler?

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £120.48
(includes shipping: £10.50)

I have never seen these before, might look at them. I'm using Vengeance LPX RAM along with the ASRock Fatal1ty itx board or the MSI Z370 itx board.

I have seen these and wonder out of the four what would be best?

Silverstone NT06-plus
Big Shuriken 2 Rev.B
Cryorig C1
Dark Rock TF

I know the NH-L12 is supposed to be good, but the colour of the fans is an instant turn off for me. And I would also rather not get the Dark Rock TF unless it is much better, as it is also a lot more expensive. I would also be likely to add a second fan onto the NT06-plus if I went with that.

Apart from that, are the Prolimatech the only hybrid coolers or are there others I should look into?

Associate
OP
For similar price to H80 you can get a good air cooler that will cool as well or better than H80, last a lot longer and be quieter too.

Nano S support coolers up to 160mm tall, but what coolers will fit also depends on RAM and PCIe socket clearance. What motherboard and RAM do you plan to use?

My problem is not liking the look of the tower coolers, but the RAM and MOBO I'm looking at is the vengeance LPX RAM with either the MSI itx mobo or the ASRock Fata1ty Z370 boards

Soldato
LPX RAM is 33-34mm tall. That makes it 36-37mm above motherboard or 28-29mm above top of CPU.
Need to know exact motherboard.

Back
Top Bottom