Women who wear ties ?

Associate
the question really should be who on earth came up with the notion that ties should be a thing anyway, was there a point in history when it served any kind of practical purpose?

I live in hope that one day being comfortable at work will be promoted over looking smart. I don't think I've ever looked at someone in a suit and thought "damn, I want to give them my money".

Soldato
Don't you just love when you see our idiot politicians on meet the troops in far flung places duty, wearing a shirt and tie and more often a suit whilst in the middle of Afghanistan or the deserts of Iraq ETC. What is that all about?

Permabanned
Don't you just love when you see our idiot politicians on meet the troops in far flung places duty, wearing a shirt and tie and more often a suit whilst in the middle of Afghanistan or the deserts of Iraq ETC. What is that all about?

Keeping the correct British sense of dress code. If only new young Austrian and French Prime ministers could learn from it they wouldn't look like college lecturers :)

Soldato
I live in hope that one day being comfortable at work will be promoted over looking smart. I don't think I've ever looked at someone in a suit and thought "damn, I want to give them my money".
people come into work here in ratty t-shirts and knee-hole jeans and i certainly wouldn't be tempted to give them any business/money.

Soldato
I don't mind wearing a tie.

I normally wear a three piece suit and tie to work. I don't have to and can probably get away with chinos and a dress shirt but i like wearing a suit and the extra layers come in handy given that the room temperature varies massively depending on where in the building i am. I've seen plenty of people who look smart in more casual office wear and people who have looked scruffy in a suit. An ill fitting, creased suit with a baggy shirt looks much worse than chinos and crisp polo shirt.

As for women wearing ties, it simply has never been a major fashion look for women. Modern smart tops for women in the workplace don't really button at the neck and suits for women only really started to become somewhat fashionable in the 80s when we started to see those awful shoulder padded suits in pop music culture. They started to enter the business world a bit more after this but generally, a lot of women opt for a smart skirt and top or a dress over a suit and rarely do they wear a top that suits a tie. Probably because of this, the tie has always been associated as male(?).

I guess if us blokes had the freedom to dress more casually in offices, we would soon see the suit and tie as less fashionable office attire. There certainly seems to be far less people wearing them compared to before. I can only recall seeing my parent's male colleges wearing a suit and tie, so i imagine that it was business policy to wear a suit.

Last edited:
Soldato
When I was a child, I was taught in self-defence to grab my attacker's tie and either use it to pull them down so I could knee them in the face or to push it up really high so they couldn't breathe.

So these days I can only defend myself from Upper Management. And they mostly attack me with requirements changes, anyway. :(

Soldato
Who are you, Mr. questions?

Yes. He does the same thing on Digital Spy. Posts nowt but drive-by threads that are an inane question, and then when he gets banned he creates a new account and starts again. He must've gone through about 100 accounts over there, and about five or six on here (not counting this new one).

Back
Top Bottom