Wheel refurbishment, now or in the spring?

Caporegime
The one thing that lets my e38 down badly is it’s wheels, all four alloys are showing signs of oxidation (but no kerbing whatsoever) and the NSF has started peeling quite badly, I’m minded to get them done now but, on the other hand am wondering if I should let winter and the salt on the roads do it’s worst and then get them done in the spring?

I’m thinking of using Lawtomotive in Stafford having seen Gibbo has used and rated them recently, just wondering what you’d do in my situation?

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
If they are already badly oxidizing, then surely salt is going to eat into them even more, meaning they end up in a far worst state before you get them done?
My thinking (rightly or wrongly) is let the winter do it's worst and then enjoy freshly refurbished wheels in the spring, the car will look filthy at the best of times over the coming months no matter what I do, but it is gnawing away at me....

Hmm, decisions!

Soldato
My thinking (rightly or wrongly) is let the winter do it's worst and then enjoy freshly refurbished wheels in the spring, the car will look filthy at the best of times over the coming months no matter what I do, but it is gnawing away at me....

Hmm, decisions!

That would be my preference as well.

Associate

Hmm, decisions!

I'd probably go with this too, just bear in mind the cost to fix could increase if they get noticeably worse

Caporegime
OP
I'd probably go with this too, just bear in mind the cost to fix could increase if they get noticeably worse
Well, Lawtomotive quote £45 per wheel upto 18inch, mine are 18’s and whilst the corrosion/oxidising will deteriorate over the coming months the acid dip they’ll undergo will remove all of this anyway, I’d have thought the only thing that would increase costs is physical damage to the rims of which there is absolutely none whatsoever - all of the oxidising has occurred it appears from the inside of the rims on the “spokes” of the style 32 wheels I have.

Interestingly the unused spare is also showing very very slight bubbling on the inside of the alloy despite having never been on the car!

Bloody Germans! :p :D

Soldato
Buy a set of winter wheels and tyres. It will make the refurbishment easier, because you'll have loose wheels, and it will save the current wheels from road salt.

Soldato
get a cheap set of winter tyres/steelies and get the current alloys refurbed and fit them come spring would be what I would do personally if you use the car over winter.

Associate
Buy a set of winter wheels and tyres. It will make the refurbishment easier, because you'll have loose wheels, and it will save the current wheels from road salt.

get a cheap set of winter tyres/steelies and get the current alloys refurbed and fit them come spring would be what I would do personally if you use the car over winter.

I'd be inclined to do this aswell if you had the cash, you could get them refurbished now and keep them stored over the winter and apply plenty of layers of some protective coating before putting them back on the car in the spring.

Associate
Leave em till after winter, i wouldn't bother with the extra expense of winter wheels/tyres might not even get enough snow to warrant it.
I got winter wheels and tyres after the bad snow we had in 2010 but every year after they were not really needed.
Depends where you live of course but i'm up in North East Scotland and the winters have been mild past 6-7 years.

IC3

IC3

Soldato
I have a few paint imperfections, that I want to get rid of, I'll do that after winter though. It's not wheels, but it might be better to wait... I don't think fresh paint mixes well with salt.

Caporegime
OP

235/50/18 on the front and 255/45/18 on the rear, I doubt that’ll be very cost effective to do somehow, I think I’ll just leave it until the spring most likely although at £45 per corner it’s not the end of the world if having it done now shortens the overall lifespan of the returb as such.

Associate
235/50/18 on the front and 255/45/18 on the rear, I doubt that’ll be very cost effective to do somehow.
Doesnt have to be exactly the same size, just have to keep the outside circumference the same. For example a 215 65 16 would be a substitute for the rears, along with many other combinations.

Associate
Doesnt have to be exactly the same size, just have to keep the outside circumference the same. For example a 215 65 16 would be a substitute for the rears, along with many other combinations.

The outside circumference doesnt even have to be the same size. Look in your owners manual where it gives you the tyre pressures and it'll tell you all the different tyre sizes that are suitable for your car.

Caporegime
OP
True, I could probably bag a set of old scruffy alloys and tyres (no e38’s had steel wheels afaik) from say an old 728 for very little outlay although I believe Lawtomotive offer a loan arrangement, I’ll give them a bell first and see if they can accommodate me.

Soldato
Try Powdercoating Shropshire (Facebook) at Market Drayton. Mention me and you'll get a bit of a discount.

No loaner wheels but it is a same day service.

Back
Top Bottom