**** The Official Google Pixel 2/Pixel 2 XL Thread ****

Associate
So I'm still rocking a Nexus 6 just now and I had hoped that the Pixel 2 XL was my replacement... No wireless charging or 3.5mm jack socket, no uniqueness to the hardware and the design is horrible in my view! The bezels on the XL look just about tolerable but the standard Pixel 2 bezels are shockingly bad. Oh but wow you can squeeze the unit... shesh what a bunch of clowns signed off on this. I feel disappointed as I'm now drawn to the iPhone 8+/X for what is just a silky bit of hardware design, but I refuse to buy them due the nanny state that Apple have created around the OS and its controls.

I feel angry the most around the fact that the market is full of boring lack lustre phones that I cant see a point in buying, may be I'm getting to old for this now! lol :D

Caporegime
I've just seen this... 2 and 2XL screens side by side here, Well if my 2XL looks like that it will almost certainly be going back. :|

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/10/pixel-2-and-2-xl-review-the-best-android-phone-you-can-buy/

The AP review, albeit they only have the 1 photo doesn't look too bad comapred to the LG V30. Some reviews it looks a bit flakey others it seems fine.

I ordered mine from EE last night so it'll be a while but that means there's time to cancel if I want.

Soldato
The bezels on the XL look just about tolerable but the standard Pixel 2 bezels are shockingly bad.

I feel disappointed as I'm now drawn to the iPhone 8+/X for what is just a silky bit of hardware design

The Pixel 2 bezels are too big, but the iPhone 8+ is 'a silky bit of hardware design'? I don't get that. Talk about dated. Has the iPhone 8 changed since the 6?

I'll just say it once more, then I'll leave you all to moan, as you seem happier that way ;) but I was really impressed with the screen on the 2 XL. Granted I was looking at it before all of this seemed to kick off so I wasn't looking for fault, but I honestly thought it looked as good as my current XL, no problems at all. I didn't think it looked washed out, I certainly didn't notice a blue tint at any point. (If that only happens when looking at it from an angle... it really wont bother me anyway). I do give you, I'm not good at noticing small details like these, which isn't great as a reviewer... but I was certainly impressed with the screen when it played some hi res video, shot natively from the device, in the demo.

Permabanned
OP

I don't think we're ever really going to see massive leaps in phone tech now, not until there's maybe a battery break through and we get week long device use. Active edge, dual speakers with thinner bezels, dual pixel camera pixels, IP67 certified, crazy fast FPS (tbc) are probably the size of steps forward we're likely to see each year.

Also, wow, my video is over 5k views already!

Another hardware feature I think we might see soon is a larger screen on pocket sized devices. As you know, there are a number of devices that are dual screen but I have not been a big fan of these so far. I appreciate that Google Apps can tell when the second screen is active and run in tablet mode across the two screens but I find that because of the bezels, the black line running in the middle of the two devices is very distracting.

I see in future a single screen that can unfold or unroll into a large rigid display that is as good as a tablet. While it has been tried before I am optimistic it can be it resolved in the near future.

Associate
The AP review, albeit they only have the 1 photo doesn't look too bad comapred to the LG V30. Some reviews it looks a bit flakey others it seems fine.

I ordered mine from EE last night so it'll be a while but that means there's time to cancel if I want.

What deal did you get on the XL2 from EE? Any upfront costs?

Soldato
I was in the EE store and even before all these reviews, thought the Pixel 2 screen was nicer than the XL, but not by enough that it would put me off the XL if that's what I wanted. As with every new phone that's released people go nuts about the tiny things!

Also lol at the person who thinks the Pixel 2 bezels are shockingly bad but thinks the iPhone 8 bezels are silky :D

Soldato
I don’t really get this hate and moaning about the bezels

You can tell phones are getting good, because the only thing left to complain about is the bezel around the screen - c’mon guys, there’s more to a phone than that!

Back
Top Bottom