**** The Official Google Pixel 2/Pixel 2 XL Thread ****

V_R

V_R

Soldato
I'll pop back into my local store too - would anyone like me to look into anything in particular? Would you like any photos?
The display, its all about the display right now. I'd like to see some more pics of the screen from a side on angle (blue tint) close up (the grain) low brightness on a grey background (the uniformity).

I'm intending to go into CPW when I can that may be tomorrow or the weekend too so it would be interesting to see if its a random thing or if all units are affected. :)

That huge search bar on every home screen is a pain. Why do google not let us get rid of it on the launcher. It's ugly & a pain.
Pro tip: Nova Launcher.

Soldato
Yeah that's something else I dislike about the new Pixels. This is what I currently have. You know what I call this? Sheer ******* bliss.
storm_framed.png
What launcher is that?

Soldato
Yeah that's something else I dislike about the new Pixels. This is what I currently have. You know what I call this? Sheer ******* bliss.
storm_framed.png

I don't know, I have the original Pixel and I think the search bar at the bottom is a godsend. Too many times I've been left clambering for that 'pill' in the top left corner.

The more I read the more I think I am better off sticking with my XL and waiting out this flagship storm (from a hardware pov)

Associate
The Pixel 2 bezels are too big, but the iPhone 8+ is 'a silky bit of hardware design'? I don't get that. Talk about dated. Has the iPhone 8 changed since the 6?

I'll just say it once more, then I'll leave you all to moan, as you seem happier that way ;) but I was really impressed with the screen on the 2 XL. Granted I was looking at it before all of this seemed to kick off so I wasn't looking for fault, but I honestly thought it looked as good as my current XL, no problems at all. I didn't think it looked washed out, I certainly didn't notice a blue tint at any point. (If that only happens when looking at it from an angle... it really wont bother me anyway). I do give you, I'm not good at noticing small details like these, which isn't great as a reviewer... but I was certainly impressed with the screen when it played some hi res video, shot natively from the device, in the demo.

I was playing with a iP7 this week which is pretty much the same hardware wise and it just feels like quality, when I have it in my hands I feel like its very well built. I grant you the design also has its issues, bezels being one. I've had a pixel in my hands before and I wasn't as impressed with the quality and the design was lack lustre compared to the iP7, I think Samsung's design looks like its in the right direction but no stereo speakers is deal breaker for me.

Soldato
^ This is another one of my annoyances with the new pixels. Portrait mode is terrible.
Pains me that they didn't include a second camera. The edges of the car are blurry.

Soldato
What launcher is that?
I don't know, I have the original Pixel and I think the search bar at the bottom is a godsend. Too many times I've been left clambering for that 'pill' in the top left corner.

The more I read the more I think I am better off sticking with my XL and waiting out this flagship storm (from a hardware pov)

It's the stock launcher. The wallpaper is also stock and it's called "Your world, Solar System". You can find it under Live Earth in your wallpaper settings.

Permabanned
OP
The display, its all about the display right now. I'd like to see some more pics of the screen from a side on angle (blue tint) close up (the grain) low brightness on a grey background (the uniformity).

I'm intending to go into CPW when I can that may be tomorrow or the weekend too so it would be interesting to see if its a random thing or if all units are affected. :)

Pro tip: Nova Launcher.

So its "all about the display right now."

Yesterday I mentioned after reading the reviews and comments around the web that this issue is the classic "mountain out of a molehill". CNET this morning backs my view.

A couple of observations from reading their post after they studied the issue closely with actual screen comparisons:

1. You would have to be a pixel nerd to observe any issues here except maybe in the "night mode" situation.

2. It may be that the initial batch of pre-release phones have an issue that will quickly be corrected with further runs by LG. The LG V30, which uses pOLED, did not have the issue. The cite as an example of this with an earlier iPhone.

Much ado about nothing.

https://www.cnet.com/au/news/pixel-2-xl-p-oled-screen-issue/

Soldato
^ This is another one of my annoyances with the new pixels. Portrait mode is terrible.
Pains me that they didn't include a second camera. The edges of the car are blurry.

Yes, because the edge is further away, that's what portrait mode is about. You could argue it's a bad example of where to use portrait more as it's on an object that is gradually getting further away, so the focus will gradually get more blurry, so no, there shouldn't be a sharp edge to the light. If you took that photo with a really good DSLR lens with a low f stop, that's what it would look like.

I don't know why you think they need a second lens. Others use a second lens to get two slightly different angles on a picture. They can then calculate the distance from each part of the shot by comparing the two photo's. Google does this too, it just built that slightly different angle into each pixel as it has two pixels... per pixel... in each Pixel lens. This means they've been able to do it in the front facing camera, so I'm happy they've done it this way.

I just posted a load of my own Pixel 2 photos here.

CdvQqr5yGVYuIbmu57-QCE4nXD0iwV1MLvCxEjHmt452Q1MxUJv1UALj8exzTYdjJwPaHswk-PFLOD3e8RdYTYgsSmUKUaJz0kFO0w-vtYQ9yuV-cJax_670uxcP6FkU1-XJlLs69pY0hzIuWj930tigihjkwXUmr5JXe5Vaqj_MzgSt2Rxg9Qt6YDqeL16G5hbNWme9aJZCNTG8oAEUz0BIk0CVCZjkYvKdoITvpK7wBgeALdoNN2K1mk1D8gctf8hQhmCPdm8YJ1O3iXCqdc9ys8YGdpveI1LbVWz0YugGUfw82OU7NgxZQX15hcKVZHpBCw1B4FCPS2IFaToc2FEkfKXu_KpmQxlMBk9H8cu8Rx6e1pGDra1N9qsQnPLhC6o01wKpBoVEtI5pux_m3D38Y6s_fLeeUep9s2bGlNSywdw6KGA9OVOqkee0kEhn5vV15dNahfEOv8h8Ki69F-vlOSW4M1FiLPyV-tbogML9WWJ2A5dV_2lg3yux2ho4KxG7PGytaJBE8Ru3vkql1lfnbXyKJnk7VPF9FgNekhCLiXIUO-WJWsHg2dVSL3k5iK0MrAv-T0uw4bmalMAH9xP9RsyYeYBMoN812dnxaJxZZeD8eHVyirQpRuMewdHdU8Nl8t6NjHAzZB-Q6InWht-7ZjYCa6iffM0=w1238-h928-no

I don't see how that can be any better...

Back
Top Bottom