All my Gaming accounts hacked - Steam - Origin - Uplay :(

Associate
Some Russian hacker has hacked my main email account and some how has added a forwarding email account to the address so everytime i reset my password he can access it again and change the password its a total nightmare and BT Will not remove it ) Tried myself and it just doesnt delete it ! I'm running out of ideas on how to solve the issue.

The problem I have now is this they have reset my passwords on all my gaming accounts , loged in and got all my information ! eg My Date of Birth ! a lot of these gaming sites will take this as valid information to change the email address , luckly I have got back my Steam account & Also origin and put in place 2step vitrification but they have changed my Email address over with Ubisoft! I now have to go and hunt down all my old CD keys as proof of who i am! You would think just telling them to put the account back to the main email address would solve the issue! obviously not, I can't believe that these hackers go through so much hassle just to play some computer games because I have wiped all my credit card information from all the sites! I would advise everyone to never save your billing or Card details ever on any of these sites because this has been a total nightmare sorting it all out and resetting my email account over and over.

I know its a Russian because he also hacked my Rockstar account and changed my main name to Russian and the local flag from British to Russian :(
I've done everything I can think of , run a fall system scan ect , is there anything else i can do to stop this happening again ? its driving me insane.

Soldato
Same happened to my Uplay Account. Russian name, language etc. Got it back though as it wasn't as severe as yours. Take it you didn't use 2 step authentication?

Get on twitter, facebook and get hold of support asap.

Man of Honour
This happened to me a few months back.. I managed to get both back but only once I recovered my email account from VM which took hours.

A few tips,

- As already said, setup 2 stage authentication not just your game accounts, but everything on-line where it's available. In particular , your email and banking.

- keep your game receipts (email) and/or any games codes because they asked me for at least one to prove I owned the accounts.

- Make sure your passwords are different, long and have a mixtures of numbers, letters and number.

- change frequently

Soldato
Some Russian got hold of my Rockstar account but that was easy enough to get back.

This happened to me a few months back.. I managed to get both back but only once I recovered my email account from VM which took hours.

A few tips,

- As already said, setup 2 stage authentication not just your game accounts, but everything on-line where it's available. In particular , your email and banking.

- keep your game receipts (email) and/or any games codes because they asked me for at least one to prove I owned the accounts.

- Make sure your passwords are different, long and have a mixtures of numbers, letters and number.

- change frequently

This. I don't change frequently though.

I highly recommend you have a look at LastPass for a password manager.

Associate
Had a similar thing happen to me on VM some months ago, I just removed the forwarding address then changed the password. Then proceeded to install LastPass and have ridiculous passwords on every site (including VM) and 2FA where possible. I then just changed all my old email accounts to my 2FA enabled gmail account and have that as my main. It's all a hassle but sorted in a day, then just kept an eye on it for a few days but all ok now.

I think it was just all down to my original weak'ish VM password being brute forced and of course that main account was the recovery address of a lot of other sites so it was easy for them to proceed from there.

Caporegime
A few tips,

+1

I bought a few games from Game way back in the day in my teenage years. I used the code to unlock them on steam. I had the games sitting on a shelf for like 7 years before i decided to have a clear out. I then picked them all up stuck them in a bin bag and in the wheelie bin.

2 months later my steam account and all it's games had been given to someone else.

I then had to fight tooth and nail to get the steam account back. when i did. those 5 games were gone. they had given them to the other guy because he could provide evidence that he had the games in his possession by sending a picture.

I asked them how could I have had these games on my account for 7 years if I didn't buy them and use the code? I also explained I had recently binned the codes and that is how this other guy now had them in his possession they must have been sold onto him or he found them whilst working at a landfill.

What this proves is all the stuff you throw out doesn't go to landfill it gets filtered and some people take the stuff and sell it on, etc.

I emailed the guy who had taken my games and he said he bought them years ago but never got round to installing them and I must have stolen them somehow from him. Lied through his teeth so he could steal games I had paid for and accused me of stealing them from him, unbelievable.

I use 2 factor authorisation now. It's pretty much bulletproof.

Soldato
Back
Top Bottom