**** The Official Chinese Phones Thread ****

Associate
Mi6 is great from what I know but small screen.

Unless you dont really need a phone right now I would wait for RedMi Note 5. It will likely lunch within a month.

RedMi Note 4 SD Global is great but Note5 will highly likely improve the camera and probably higher screen to body ratio as well.

Good advice, thanks. I'm not much of a tech follower so wasn't aware that there was a redmi note 5 due out (although I guess you should always anticipate new phones coming out!). Will have a look.

Mi6 is 5.15 inch screen, which for me coming from an SGS5 sounds like a good size. I'm open to bigger (indeed currently looking in a lot more detail at the LG G6 and the Huawei P10 Plus, although again price is creeping up - but again deals are floating around for them) but a smaller screen isn't a bad thing for me.

Associate
Good advice, thanks. I'm not much of a tech follower so wasn't aware that there was a redmi note 5 due out (although I guess you should always anticipate new phones coming out!). Will have a look.

Mi6 is 5.15 inch screen, which for me coming from an SGS5 sounds like a good size. I'm open to bigger (indeed currently looking in a lot more detail at the LG G6 and the Huawei P10 Plus, although again price is creeping up - but again deals are floating around for them) but a smaller screen isn't a bad thing for me.

I see that Mi6 is 350€. I really dont know which phones are most bang for buck in that price group.

The thing with Xiaomi Note 4 and Mi A1 are that they are amazing for the money (~150€). For 350€ you might get a better phone from another brand. To me it sounds expensive with 350€ for a Xiaomi phone.

* Edit
Especially when you can get LG G6 for just 100€ more.

Last edited:
Associate
I see that Mi6 is 350€. I really dont know which phones are most bang for buck in that price group.

The thing with Xiaomi Note 4 and Mi A1 are that they are amazing for the money (~150€). For 350€ you might get a better phone from another brand. To me it sounds expensive with 350€ for a Xiaomi phone.

* Edit
Especially when you can get LG G6 for just 100€ more.

Yeah I know what you mean, and if camera wasn't so important to me then they are good budget options. I guess I hesitated because of the camera, then you look at the specs more and see they are lower quality specs (slower processor and GPU) than something you can get for say £300. If it was just the specs then the additional outlay probably wouldn't be value for money and the A1 would still be worthwhile, but the camera as well is what's making me review other options. But then as you say, they're all similar standard at the £300-£350 price bracket, and for £100 more you can get semi-flagship quality (and I'm conscious I could have traded my S5 in for £165 and effectively got an s8 for about £400 about a month ago if I was going to go down this route, which really galls!). I'd also originally said to myself I didn't want a significant outlay for a new phone but over £300 really does start to feel that way. So my mind keeps changing as to whether to go more expensive or just stay cheap.

That said I may bite the bullet and try the Mi A1 as my S5 is really going downhill and I'd rather not outlay £350ish for a more expensive phone when I'm not sure which one of those I want. I'm sure it'd do a decent job, even as an interim measure, and could be a fun experiment in cheaper chinese phones. Kinda waiting to see if an amazing deal will come along to make the decision for me!

Soldato
The Mi A1 looks attractive because of Android One - latest vanilla android and you are guaranteed to get updates. Do any of the other Chinese alternatives offer this ?

Soldato
The Mi A1 looks attractive because of Android One - latest vanilla android and you are guaranteed to get updates. Do any of the other Chinese alternatives offer this ?
First of its kind I believe. Hope to see more brands do this soon.

Motorola do one called the X4 but thats more mid range price.

Associate
I just bought my wife a Mi A1. Decided to get it from a UK based eBay seller to save the hassle of importing it and having to pay duty, although I paid £225 so I guess it works out about the same.

The phone itself is very nicely made. The screen is big and bright with nice colours and looks sharp even though it's only 1080p. Stock android flies along very nicely and the UI is very smooth, despite the average SoC. She's only had the phone four days but the battery life seems impressive; checking it last night she'd had three hours screen on time with 49% battery remaining. The camera is just OK - in daylight it does just fine but in low light gets very noisy. Video has no stabilisation whatsoever so can get very jittery.

It's my first foray into a non-flagship phone. Overall I'm very impressed (despite the weak camera) and enjoyed using the phone, so much so I've just ordered myself one to have a play with!

Associate
I wonder if the scandal at One Plus with respect to collecting its customer data without its consent outside China is an issue to many on this site? Apparently this is done in China without user permission but outside of China I think most users care about privacy violations.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/10/15/16479330/oneplus-privacy-complaints-oxygenos-cybersecurity

I've been researching the settings in the Xiaomi Note 4 for this and found that even if you turn off the obvious stuff like User Experience Program and User Experience Programme in the Privacy settings there are still 3 other settings for Analytics, Feedback and msa that have 'Usage Access' the setting for which is normally hidden away and needs something like 'Activity Launcher' (Adam Szalkowski) to track down and disable.

If anyone's interested I'll write up a brief 'how to' to disable access to those settings. Note that I haven't seen an adverse impact by disabling these settings so far but that doesn't mean there might be an impact on something I've not yet discovered.

Soldato
I just bought my wife a Mi A1. Decided to get it from a UK based eBay seller to save the hassle of importing it and having to pay duty, although I paid £225 so I guess it works out about the same.

The phone itself is very nicely made. The screen is big and bright with nice colours and looks sharp even though it's only 1080p. Stock android flies along very nicely and the UI is very smooth, despite the average SoC. She's only had the phone four days but the battery life seems impressive; checking it last night she'd had three hours screen on time with 49% battery remaining. The camera is just OK - in daylight it does just fine but in low light gets very noisy. Video has no stabilisation whatsoever so can get very jittery.

It's my first foray into a non-flagship phone. Overall I'm very impressed (despite the weak camera) and enjoyed using the phone, so much so I've just ordered myself one to have a play with!

Root it and put the Google camera on!

Soldato
My A1 shipped from Banggood on the 3rd October... no sign yet and the tracking info comes up blank. :(

**EDIT** I went to the Banggood site, rather than their tracking link and it claims Royal Mail tried to deliver it yesterday morning. Not according to my Ring Video Doorbell they didn't! Anyway, it's good news I guess. Perhaps I can expect it tomorrow morning.

Last edited:
Permabanned
I've been researching the settings in the Xiaomi Note 4 for this and found that even if you turn off the obvious stuff like User Experience Program and User Experience Programme in the Privacy settings there are still 3 other settings for Analytics, Feedback and msa that have 'Usage Access' the setting for which is normally hidden away and needs something like 'Activity Launcher' (Adam Szalkowski) to track down and disable.

If anyone's interested I'll write up a brief 'how to' to disable access to those settings. Note that I haven't seen an adverse impact by disabling these settings so far but that doesn't mean there might be an impact on something I've not yet discovered.

You and I seem to be in the minority of users who care about what data I give back to the Chinese OEM in terms of my privacy. In reading the comments since I made since mine, the majority of users seem to care only about price and some features and anything else is irrelevant. Especially with the ability to disable some of these intrusive features.

Recently the Chinese Communist Party has told the world that they intend to take ownership stakes in the leading companies including Alibaba, Tencent and Alibaba, whether management agrees or not. The Communist Party forbids free speech and jails anyone who disagrees with their actions. This is not a country that I wish to willingly give them my personal data to and when possible, I prefer to share what data I agree to share and to buy products from companies that are not supporting ideas that are contrary to my own. I appreciate that others appear to disagree with my point of view and that pricing is all that appears to matter.

Sorry to be political on a tech website but I am surprised that this issue is so rarely discussed when posting about Chinese phones.

Underboss
so I ordered that other case from mazon for my Red mi Note 4

Saturday comes and a case turns up, checked the senders address on the envelope, its none of them, and from what i can make out both cases are coming from China
But when i did some more digging with this cases address that i have here, turns out the address is bogus, and it seems to link to the one off the bay I ordered from , which so happens to be in, yes you've guessed it, China !
as people have bought from this seller and sent items back to the one on the envelope and Royal Mail are not delivering them!

Just had a dispatch email from mazon so i know which one is which, so im going to have a spare case ! , at least i got a refund on the first one for non-delivery (or should i say late)

Soldato
Sorry to be political on a tech website but I am surprised that this issue is so rarely discussed when posting about Chinese phones.

Do you not think through their built in backdoors they are getting data back anyway? As are Google etc...
If you didn't want to support them you wouldn't be buying their phones period. You can't have one without the other.

Back
Top Bottom