• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Associate
My EVGA Geforce GTX670 died today. It's been extra loud lately while playing Evolve and Paladins. Today it burned during Evolve. Very loud fan and smell of burned plastic. I opened it cleaned a lot of dust and changed the paste, but when reassembled and reinstalled all I hear is very loud and fast fan and no image. Specs of my very old system:

Intel Core i7-2700K CPU @ 3.50GHz

Windows 10

Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 Motherboard (Socket 1155, ATX, DDR3, USB 3.0, HDMI, Bluetooth Module)

Corsair TX850M Enthusiast Series TX 850W ATX/EPS Modular 80 PLUS Bronze PSU

Corsair CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9 Vengeance 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3 1600 Mhz CL9 XMP Performance Desktop Memory Kit Black

Corsair CWCH80 Hydro Series H80 High Performance 120mm Radiator All-In-One Liquid CPU Cooler

I contacted chat and coach advised me to get:

EVGA 06G-P4-6368-KR 6 GB GeForce GTX 1060 FTW+ Gaming ACX 3.0 GDDR5 Graphics Card - Black

or

Asus GeForce Strix GTX 1060 (6GB) Graphics Card PCI Express 3.0 DisplayPort/HDMI/DVI-D

Seems that my budget would have to be around £300+ and I would like any additional thought on that.

Also, any advice if my EVGA Geforce GTX670 could be fixed and if yes and not by me, then where in London and cost for it? Maybe I just need to replace the fan on it? Not really want to try baking it as its been advised that fumes could be dangerous to food cooked afterwards. Thanks in advance for any help!

Last edited:
Soldato
You may want to remove the competitor links.

Sounds like a the card isn't going to be running again.

2nd hand GTX 670 are worth round £50 if you wanna look for a 2nd hand replacement. Or GTX 970 for around double the performance Tend to go for £100 - £130 depending on how lucky you are.

New A GTX 1060 6GB is roughly twice the performance of the 670. If are looking to spend this sort of money the 6GB version is worth the extra cost over the 3GB version.

A GTX 1050 ti is very slightly faster than a 670 if you want a new card, but don't want to spend £250.

Associate
OP
Thanks, I think I'll upgrade and have some future proof while I'm at it. Not knowledgeable enough to buy second had parts since I almost sure I'll get screwed and would have to pay twice. I think I can pull 1060 with the range of £300+/- just to be safe and have better performance. If the advice I got is sound then I was leaning towards Asus GeForce Strix GTX 1060 (6GB) Graphics Card PCI Express 3.0 DisplayPort/HDMI/DVI-D.

Associate
I had a GTX 670 and it was probably a great card at the time. I replaced it with a GTX 970 and now that has been replaced with a GTX 1080.

There's a logic in trading up every year if you can afford about £100 to upgrade by selling your old card on.

Back
Top Bottom